Re-using big game bags

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The key with any game bag cleaning is soaking in cold water. If you stubborn stains, try a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and cold water for 3 hours...then rinse well and resoak in Oxiclean and cold water once more for another 4-8 hours. From that point wash and hang dry.

If you have nylon bags (TAG Bags or Caribou Gear), the above produces very good results. On cotton, better than average cleaning results.

Many many years of reuse on my bags. Probably 20 plus on some of the pillow cased sized ones. They finally wear out but last a long time before they do. Good washing tips above. All I can add is we wash ours twice. Once inside out and once the other way. Good luck filling them up!

circles

FNG
I use cotton pillow sacks and they get way more use for squirrels than big game. Pretty much the same as far as blood stains go. Just throw them in the washer on sanitary cycle and use them again.

dukhunt

FNG
I use Black Ovis and Tag bags and have used multiple times as well. Just wash them in the washing machine and hang dry.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Soak them in a bucket with a touch of bleach then turn them inside out and was in front load washer. I will end up buying one new set every year or so to replace ones that I snag and tear but as long as I keep sharp rocks and sticks away from them, they last.
The TAG bags are still my favorite but the Black Ovis bags are still going strong as well, just not as light weight. I bet some of my TAG BOMB bags have hauled out dozens of animals.

Turn them inside out and hand rinse in the sink. Then toss them in the washer with some detergent like Ecos and some bleach. Hang dry.

Ucsdryder

WKR
How do the Allen backcountry synthetic bags stack up against tag and caribou bags? Weight and durability?

I've used my Caribou Gear bags on 4 different animals so far, I just rinse them in cold water to get them 90% clean then finish them in the washing machine and hang dry. I don't see any signs of wear and tear yet. they are great bags.

Mjgetch

FNG
Other than tearing a hole in a couple we reuse our tag bags all the time. I just shake them out and rinse out real good. Then when my wife isn’t home I toss them in the washing machine. Works great 😀

Gr8bawana

WKR
I've been using the same Alaska Game Bags for for at least 8 years now for deer and elk and they are still going strong.

PA Hunter

WKR
I also have Caribu bags and reuse them as they clean up nice. Darn guide in Wyoming drug them in a trailer with Elk quarters and put some small holes in the one. I sewed it up good and always reuse. The meat processer even cleaned them for me once.

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Caribou Game Bags.. muley and moose magnum kits.... Ive used em' over and over wash em out ( soak a bit in the laundry tub first to loosen up ) ... hang dry and ready to go :)

Bought a new set of TAG bags this year. Packed out 8 animals and not a thread starting to pull yet. Soak overnight with a little bleach, pick off any meat scraps, and I wash with some woolite then air dry. Practically good as new still.

I used to have a set of custom bags my buddies wife made up but after we split he quit hunting out of the blue and kept them ! I bought a set of good ones at Cabela's the next year 1998 and have had them ever since.