Re-using big game bags

I know they say they can be washed but how many people actually re-use them?

I do! Haha. Spend all that money on good ones I plan to get my fill! I’ve carried out a black bear two mule deer and a pronghorn with my bags. Oh and even used my bags on my buddy’s Muley. Maybe I’m just a nasty mofo haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
I have a couple sets of caribou bags I've washed a reused multiple times. Never had any issues.

I have reused mine multiple times for a handful of years. I just wash them in hot water with soap and bleach, good to go.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Used mine on 3 elk and 2 deer over the last two years. Just soak em’ and scrub em’ right up and ready to use.

I have the TAG bags.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I just upgraded to tag bags this year and already used them on 2 deer and an elk.
They clean easy and work well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've dropped them in the creek/river and put a rock on them overnight. You'd be amazed how clean they are after that. Then just machine wash with bleach and they pretty much look new.

I’ve been using the same set of HD moose game bags now for going on about 15 years. Granted, I don’t hut moose every year but I think these bags have hauled out about 5-6 moose.

wseidel

WKR
I've used a single set of Caribou Gear game bags on six elk and they are still going strong. Simply clean well - rinse, clean by hand, and then machine wash. On two occasions, we used the bags on two elk in one day. Needless to say, the bags were simply rinsed well between uses. Part of the reason I went with Caribou Gear (like other quality game bags) was to be able to use them season after season. Hope this helps.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We reuse TAG bags for years. When we bring them home bloody, rinse in cold water and then soak in a bleach water solution overnight. Then wash and dry in our home washer and dryer. Typically they come out looking as good as new.

After multiple seasons of abuse, they eventually get holes (usually our fault). If they can be easily fixed I will run a zigzag stitch on the sewing machine. Otherwise we toss them and replace.

Reuse for years. The cotton ones are better after washing. The thread fluffs up and fills in the weave a bit so they aren’t such an open mesh.
The nylon bags look the same after washing as they do new.

My questions would be, do you use them new without washing? Do you wear new clothes before washing?
I don’t mean anything by it, just an observation of mine.
I use them new without washing, but wash my clothes before wearing.
I also consider my gamebags in my survival layering plan.

When i used to use old pillow cases, not really. Now that I’ve gone to ovis sacks yes. 4 animals innmine this year.

Okhotnik

WKR
Reuse mine for years

Soak in a five gallon bucket with a scoop of oxyclean for a day the throw in the washer. Hang dry

OP
cknlg1

cknlg1

FNG
Have always used the Alaskan Game Bag but they tend to stretch leaving bigger holes for bugs to get in. And then, I used Citric Acid as a fly/bug repellent. Am considering upgrading to a better bag but for certain they will no longer be a one use item! Thanks for the feedback!