Ready to go back to Keen from Lowa and Salomon

I am having a hell of a time finding better boots than the Keen Targhee that I replaced a few months ago.

I have a measured 12EE foot and the Keens have been great but I wanted something better for my upcoming Colorado elk hunt. I started with Lowa Camino GTX in 12 extra wide . They felt great at first but then as they broke in the top of the boot started to put pressure on the top of my foot that became excruciating for me. I was fortunate that they fit my son perfectly. I was able to try on next a size 12 Salomon Quest 4 and it was almost as wide as the Lowa but the store didn't have a size 13 to try on so I ordered it from Shoes.com. Again they felt great walking around the house and even the first few hikes but now I have hot spots all over from my heels, my one big toe and the side of both feet. I have not gotten any blisters from either pair of boots but I don't know if I should keep them since I haven't gotten any blisters or just go back to the Keens which what I have been told don't have enough support and will apparently be hell sidehilling. I have spent over well over $400 so far and this is getting expensive.

Who makes a wide high volume boot that may fit?

Last edited:
love my Keen targhees too with the big toe box! but think id look at the wide Cabelas MEINDEL Pefekts hikers as a minimum if your gettin into side hillin.less than $300 when you can get them on sale. in the good old days before the Bass pro buy out you could get them closer to $200.

OP
F
love my Keen targhees too with the big toe box! but think id look at the wide Cabelas MEINDEL Pefekts hikers as a minimum if your gettin into side hillin.less than $300 when you can get them on sale. in the good old days before the Bass pro buy out you could get them closer to $200.

I was in the Cabelas in Delaware last weekend and wanted to try them. The website said they had several models in my size and when i got there they only carried one of the Meindl models and they didn't have my size in stock. I am convinced after seeing what Bass Pro has cut from the online catalog and the inventory in the store they are eliminating every bit of Cabelas hunting clothing. I hope I am wrong but don't think I am.

muddydogs

WKR
Do you have ankle, arch or general foot problems that could be worsened by sidehilling? Do the Keen fit good, don't cause hot spots and provide the support you need in your arch? Everyone's feet are different, I know guys that hike some of the worst the west has to offer in low cut cheap boots with no issues and other guys that have to have $1000 custom boots. My issue is high arches so I need good support there but I don't have any issue with my ankles and could hike or sidehill all day long in a pair of flip flops if they had some arch support. Your best bet would be to strap on the Keen boots and go find some sidehill to walk on, even a ditch bank would work, and get an idea if the boots will be ok or not.

I really think that the average hunter is spending way to much on these fancy hunting boots that are causing more issues then there solving. Guys are strapping on these stiff boots a few times a year to break them in then they head out on there hunting trip and trash there feet in these heavy stiff boots. I work with 60 + men and women that work in the woods for 6 to 8 months a year and I can say that not one of them wear Kenetrek, Crispi or Lathrop boots. Most wear Salomon, Vasque, Merrill, Keen, something from Cabelas and a few others but in general they stay away from the stiff soled and super stiff upper boots.

OP
F
Do you have ankle, arch or general foot problems that could be worsened by sidehilling? Do the Keen fit good, don't cause hot spots and provide the support you need in your arch? Everyone's feet are different, I know guys that hike some of the worst the west has to offer in low cut cheap boots with no issues and other guys that have to have $1000 custom boots. My issue is high arches so I need good support there but I don't have any issue with my ankles and could hike or sidehill all day long in a pair of flip flops if they had some arch support. Your best bet would be to strap on the Keen boots and go find some sidehill to walk on, even a ditch bank would work, and get an idea if the boots will be ok or not.

I really think that the average hunter is spending way to much on these fancy hunting boots that are causing more issues then there solving. Guys are strapping on these stiff boots a few times a year to break them in then they head out on there hunting trip and trash there feet in these heavy stiff boots. I work with 60 + men and women that work in the woods for 6 to 8 months a year and I can say that not one of them wear Kenetrek, Crispi or Lathrop boots. Most wear Salomon, Vasque, Merrill, Keen, something from Cabelas and a few others but in general they stay away from the stiff soled and super stiff upper boots.

The keen fit better than any other boots I have worn. I can wear either their 12 wide or 13 medium comfortably. The 12 wide fit slightly better. My ankles are strong. What prompted me to look else where was after I started training with a 50 pound pack I developed a mild case of Planter Facisitis. I went to my orthopedist and it turned out he went to school in Colorado and is a big backpacker himself. He said I needed a stiffer boot. Now in the defense of the Keen Boots they were worn a lot and were 3 years old so they were at the end of their useful life. I also have high arches and that has been part of my issue. The aftermarket insoles feel great on my left foot but seem too far back on my right foot. The Keen insoles never bothered me at least not until a few months ago but again I had the boots a long time so they were probably worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The keen fit better than any other boots I have worn. I can wear either their 12 wide or 13 medium comfortably. The 12 wide fit slightly better. My ankles are strong. What prompted me to look else where was after I started training with a 50 pound pack I developed a mild case of Planter Facisitis. I went to my orthopedist and it turned out he went to school in Colorado and is a big backpacker himself. He said I needed a stiffer boot. Now in the defense of the Keen Boots they were worn a lot and were 3 years old so they were at the end of their useful life. I also have high arches and that has been part of my issue. The aftermarket insoles feel great on my left foot but seem too far back on my right foot. The Keen insoles never bothered me at least not until a few months ago but again I had the boots a long time so they were probably worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have similar issues where I need more arch support than most boots offer. I haven’t been able to try on a lot of boots, but Oboz have awesome insoles with a ton of arch support and wide forefoot sizes available.

KurtR

WKR
I have keens for work and perfekt hikers for hunting. I took the footbed out of my miendls and put them in the keens as those foot beds where horrible. Been putting about 20 miles a day on the keens they are nice for work but nothing in comparison to the meindls when you get in the steep stuff