Ready to test my stuff.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all I'm ready to test my gear and physical ability when would be a good time to do a long weekend that will simulate Aug/Sept weather? I'm wanting to head to the Gunnison area around Paonia Co.
Thanks
Jason

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Now is a good time. The weather is unpredictable in the high country and the nights are cold. To give you an idea, last Saturday it was in the high 70's to low 80's where my wife and I were hiking between 9,000 and 11,700'. Sunday morning I had to break 1/4 inch of ice to get water from a creek that was clear the night before, and by Sunday night it was snowing.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a good resource for trail statuses and reports? 14ers.com?

Found that most ranger districts will only know what roads and campgrounds are open.

Gman

WKR
If CO we had no snow this year. I've been up high with no access issues already. So unless your trail is in a shaded valley you should have no access issues. Depending on where you're going I've actually had good luck with the local ranger or forest service when looking to get trail condition info. I guess it varies by district.

Have fun!

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Ok dumb flatlander question. What is a forest service road. Can I drive down it can I take a car down it? Wanting to use the car to save on gas being its just a hiking trip.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yes, most forest service roads are maintained well. If not there will be a sign saying road not maintained. If you know where your hunting call and order a forest service map!

dotman

WKR
CO has great resources on roads, if you see one marked - - - it means you will not want to take the car on it, the avg forest service road is like most gravel roads you will find in MO if not better.

But you do have to considet late snow storms that could keep you stuck for a day or so in a car but I personally wouldn't worry too much about that.

Last edited:
OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
That will help the gas buget! On the map it shows it as a solid line and google earth it looks like a couple buildings at the end of it and a trailhead as well.