Real Big Mans Pack

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am 6'4" 300 with a 60+ chest. 31-32 inseam. Big arms. Real PIA to get a pack to fit. I've given up on the Cheap-o brands and need to go to the better pack makers.

Looking at Pop-up 38, SG solo, and Kifaru Duplex frame with the Stryker panel and add-ons for their system.
and Wilderness Pack Specialties Ibex and frame.
I don't do a lot of pack out stuff or overnight but want the capability to do that without a 2nd pack.
Trying to fill the stand/ground hunter and have some pack out ability. But fit is top of the list.

I am 6'4" 300 with a 60+ chest. 31-32 inseam. Big arms. Real PIA to get a pack to fit. I've given up on the Cheap-o brands and need to go to the better pack makers.

Looking at Pop-up 38, SG solo, and Kifaru Duplex frame with the Stryker panel and add-ons for their system.
and Wilderness Pack Specialties Ibex and frame.
I don't do a lot of pack out stuff or overnight but want the capability to do that without a 2nd pack.
Trying to fill the stand/ground hunter and have some pack out ability. But fit is top of the list.

If you are 6’4 with a 31” inseam you have a super long torso of which that will eliminate the Pop Up and the Solo. I am not familiar with the Wilderness pack but am confident the Kifaru would fit especially since they can offer a 28” frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
V

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I emailed Wilderness and they said one of their staff or associates is 6'5" with a 50 waist and their frame fits him. They have a 100% $$ back if not happy.

There is just no video or reviews on most of their products. The few out they get good reviews but you never know where they sit on truth.

Tryin

FNG
Ooh, following this one. Not quite as big, but darn close. Have yet to find a store pack that gets the shoulder straps wide enough to avoid vectoring the stress into my pectoral muscles.

I am 6’2 and weigh 282 50” chest , 40” waist with a 21” torso and my son is 6’5 with a 46” chest, 36 inch waist weighs 250 and has a 23” torso.

Looking at the website for the pack I wasn’t familiar with I don’t doubt can cover the waist and possibly your massive chest but it looks short. Do you know the length of the frame and what your torso length is because you probably have a longer torso than my son who has an extremely long torso? I was told when I was first researching packs for an elk hunt that a very small percentage of people have a 21” torso.

6'4, 250ish, 53 inch chest, 38 waist, I can wear a 35 inseam put prefer a 36 and I don't remember what the wife measured for torso.

I went with the Kifaru Duplex Lite Frame 26" and the Reckoning with a lid.
Only up to 150 miles with 51 lbs, my training has been interrupted many times for one to properly prep. Life can suck.

The bag and frame have been great.

OP
V

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Torso is 26.5 so 27 ? 28 overkill ?

I also hate too small/tight stuff which is my life's story.

I have been on a big diet and hell bent to get weight off. I've lost almost 30 # in the last 60 days.

Torso is 26.5 so 27 ? 28 overkill ?

I also hate too small/tight stuff which is my life's story.

I have been on a big diet and hell bent to get weight off. I've lost almost 30 # in the last 60 days.

I would suggest ideally going to a backpacking store and have your Torso measured even with your short inseam for your height that torso length seems off. I would bet most 7 footers don’t have that long of a torso. The 28” frame is so you have enough lift to reduce the pressure on your shoulders and make a pack out more comfortable.

If you don’t have a shop near you mystery ranch has good info and videos on their site and YouTube.

OP
V

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I got help and did the same as the video. I live out in the sticks. It's a mile plus to my mailbox, and an hour 1 way to any kind of store. Probably almost 2 hours to any kind of pro shop.

I'll measure again.

I’m similar sized with a long torso, big chest and big waist. I weigh around 350 right now. I contacted several companies and ended up going with Kifaru. They made a XXL belt set up for me and the frame fits great! I needed a pack for working in the backcountry for extended periods and they helped me decide on the Cavern, but also picked up the Mountain Warrior when it was on sale. We just finished a 10 day operation and put 85-90 miles on it and never had a problem. It did take some time to get everything adjusted “just right”, but now it is just throw and go. The cavern seems overkill to many, but big guys have big gear and that takes up room!

Tryin

FNG
I’m similar sized with a long torso, big chest and big waist. I weigh around 350 right now. I contacted several companies and ended up going with Kifaru. They made a XXL belt set up for me and the frame fits great! I needed a pack for working in the backcountry for extended periods and they helped me decide on the Cavern, but also picked up the Mountain Warrior when it was on sale. We just finished a 10 day operation and put 85-90 miles on it and never had a problem. It did take some time to get everything adjusted “just right”, but now it is just throw and go. The cavern seems overkill to many, but big guys have big gear and that takes up room!
Did they make you a custom frame sheet as well, or just use a "regular"? I fit the standard belts, but I am concerned about the frame fit. I have talked to Kifaru twice about it, but also like hearing the customer side of things.

Part of the “husky hunter” crowd myself. 6’3” 250# 50” chest and 38/40 waist. Here is my $0.02...

Kifaru - I have run a kifaru 26 inch frame and they also make a 28. The 28 frame will extend above your shoulders which you want so that the frame can transfer pressure down to your hip belt. Spendy but your body will wear out before that frame does. Call them and talk to them. I am confident they can fit you and there are plenty of packs to choose from.

Mystery Ranch - after flirting with Kifaru, I went back to an XL framed mystery ranch pack. I run a sawtooth and a beartooth on an XL frame. I also use a pop up 38 for day hunting. I love MR packs and a bit of a self confessed fanboy. I don’t have a ton of adjustment left in the shoulders on the guidelight MT frame and definitly not in the popup. I mean the actual length of the webbing on the shoulder straps. The torso moves up and down a few more inches (I run both a little shorter than my toros measurement Suggests). The waist belt on the MT is likely going to come up short for you and definitely the pop up will. You could get some length sewn into the belt pretty easily or buy a buckle and some webbing to make an extender.

Seek Outside - per @Kevin_t i don’t own a seek pack but everything else I have bought from them is the bees knees. I researched them and came close to buying a hiking pack from them 2 years ago but got lured away by a lightweight gear company’s siren song (eat a bag of >!cks gossamer gear!) 2 years on that POS pack has more holes than a cheese grater and I expect I will be back to Seek again. Buy with confidence from Seek.

It’s not fat, it’s POWER!

Did they make you a custom frame sheet as well, or just use a "regular"? I fit the standard belts, but I am concerned about the frame fit. I have talked to Kifaru twice about it, but also like hearing the customer side of things.
It is the duplex tactical frame with curved stays. I think we stayed with the 26” frame and not a 28”. I’m not planning on carrying extremely heavy loads, but 70-80 lbs are common.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
Part of the “husky hunter” crowd myself. 6’3” 250# 50” chest and 38/40 waist. Here is my $0.02...

Kifaru - I have run a kifaru 26 inch frame and they also make a 28. The 28 frame will extend above your shoulders which you want so that the frame can transfer pressure down to your hip belt. Spendy but your body will wear out before that frame does. Call them and talk to them. I am confident they can fit you and there are plenty of packs to choose from.

Mystery Ranch - after flirting with Kifaru, I went back to an XL framed mystery ranch pack. I run a sawtooth and a beartooth on an XL frame. I also use a pop up 38 for day hunting. I love MR packs and a bit of a self confessed fanboy. I don’t have a ton of adjustment left in the shoulders on the guidelight MT frame and definitly not in the popup. I mean the actual length of the webbing on the shoulder straps. The torso moves up and down a few more inches (I run both a little shorter than my toros measurement Suggests). The waist belt on the MT is likely going to come up short for you and definitely the pop up will. You could get some length sewn into the belt pretty easily or buy a buckle and some webbing to make an extender.

Seek Outside - per @Kevin_t i don’t own a seek pack but everything else I have bought from them is the bees knees. I researched them and came close to buying a hiking pack from them 2 years ago but got lured away by a lightweight gear company’s siren song (eat a bag of >!cks gossamer gear!) 2 years on that POS pack has more holes than a cheese grater and I expect I will be back to Seek again. Buy with confidence from Seek.

It’s not fat, it’s POWER!
I’ve tried the mystery ranch packs but none fit. Did you get the extender from mystery ranch?

I’ve tried the mystery ranch packs but none fit. Did you get the extender from mystery ranch?
No. I run an XL guidelight MT frame and an XL pop up. MR specs the XL frame for waist 39+ and torso 17-24”. My torso measures 21” but I run my pack at 19 or 20. My waist is 38 or so. I have decent adjustment on the guidelight MT waist belt. I am close to the limit on the pop up 38 belt. I think I might add some length to the pop up belt in case I ever used it with thick winter layers.

OP
V

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I decided to try the Ibex and Yukon frame from Wilderness Pack Specialties.
Sent several emails on sizes and fit and what if you're not happy with the fit. I got immediate replies and the answers I wanted. As soon as I get it I'm going to load up a 50# bag of corn and take a hike. There were no reviews or videos on this pack so it's a blind leap of faith. There are some on their packs but none on this model. I will post a video if I keep it.

Last edited: