REAL chow?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Gents-

For backpack hunts it seems most here go the dehydrated route. I for one couldn't stand it when I was forced to eat it years ago during cold weather training in Norway, and to think I'd PAY $$ for it now? Ha-no Sir. Being I'm a knuckle dragger-I am fine humping a few extra pounds to eat good. I can freeze steaks and chicken prior to a hunt and make it to day 2, but after that it gets tough. Are their any other ways to get real food to last in backcountry? Meal ideas and recipes welcome. I don't necessarily need a breakfast buffet or taco building station, but c'mon man I can't be the only one needing to eat good!

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Dang fellas-I was hoping to learn of a new meal idea or 2....I did read up on butthole sammies, and there’s always loaded ramen

hoff1ck

WKR
Never had to eat the meals you're talking about so I can't attest to that obviously, but have you tried any of the companies like Peak Refuel or Off Grid? Some of these newer companies are making pretty good dehydrated meals now.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Hoff-to be fair I have not, but that is because they are still insanely high in sodium. I make enough poor dietary decisions (beer) that I have to draw a line somewhere!

The biggest problem with real food in the backcountry is that it doesn't last very long non-refrigerated and it weighs a ton. I've made my own dehydrated meals before, it's really a pretty straightforward process. I think that might be your best bet to accomplish what you're after:

• Cheap(ish)
  • Lower Sodium
There's a lot of recipes on this forum and there's some good ones floating around the internet. Google DIY Dehydrated Meals and you should come up with some good choices.

Rob5589

WKR
Peak seems to be quite a bit lower in sodium than MH. I tried MH, once, was terrible. Recently tried Peak, the sweet pork and rice. Actually, not bad, just a bit sweet. Something spicy would probably balance it out.
I do a lot of those flavored tuna and chicken packs for work. They are universally very good. Throw in some crackers, Daves insanity bread etc, makes a good lunch.
Hard salami lasts a while. I know hard cheese does too, but I won't chance it.

jmden

WKR
An on sale can of Nalley chili has decent nutrition, especially for the price...had this for meals many a night warmed up on a tent wood stove or Esbit stove.

Knor pasta sides with chicken pkts,idahoian potato pkts ,single serve spam fried, there's always pancakes for breakfast in various flavors, pre cooked bacon,Lipton cup of soup also with chicken pkts,instant rice with boulon for flavor or another favorite is the Kraft easy mac pkts....just some ideas for ya.

jlh42581

WKR
Ive tried more than a few MRE's just to see if I could eat them. A mountainhouse or the like is NOTHING like an MRE

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a knuckle-dragger too, but I still don't want to carry any more weight than I need to. I have 11 other months in the year to eat whatever I want, and also even in base camp. I don't mind the sodium in the MH meals because I lose a LOT of that anyway everyday sweating. But there are only certain MH meals that I will eat. I've gotten particular in my old age.:)

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Knor pasta sides with chicken pkts,idahoian potato pkts ,single serve spam fried, there's always pancakes for breakfast in various flavors, pre cooked bacon,Lipton cup of soup also with chicken pkts,instant rice with boulon for flavor or another favorite is the Kraft easy mac pkts....just some ideas for ya.

Good call-I remember the Knorr packets as a kid. Worth a shot 👍