Real elk hunting!

What is real elk hunting? Well, my eyes have been opened, and it is NOT Colorado. I had a chance to hunt another state this year for the first time ever and lets just say, this next five year structure the CBA and other groups should be pushing hard for limits on elk/tag allocations.

The time has come for such groups to get vocal about the current situation occurring in OTC units in CO. Regardless if you kill elk, CO is not elk hunting in any way shape or form compared to what I experienced in a "non draw" unit.

As a resident of CO, I'm already trying to figure out how to hunt out of state next year.

Gerbdog

WKR
Well elk hunting is obviously just trying to be in the place at the right time where the other group of hunters chases the elk to your location so you can shoot an animal that's got its tongue lolling out from exhaustion because its been chased over 2 mountain ranges in the last 6 hours. Seems pretty clear!

Well elk hunting is obviously just trying to be in the place at the right time where the other group of hunters chases the elk to your location so you can shoot an animal that's got its tongue lolling out from exhaustion because its been chased over 2 mountain ranges in the last 6 hours. Seems pretty clear!
Solid Colorado strategy right there, aboot sums it up.

Elkbelch

FNG
I suppose elk hunting means different things to different folks. To me elk hunting is an adventure where I get a break from my normal life. It is time with friends, time with family and time in nature. It is also camp, and scenery I don't get to see all the time. It is months of preparation and months of reflections and what ifs. In a good year its lots of good meat and pictures to cherish for a lifetime. I know the odds are against us but Iam going to give it a try. With any luck I can point my 20-year-old daughter to her first elk. If we are not successful, we will have to settle for the memories and the long ride home getting passed by trucks carrying large antlers

With the onset of more former otc units becoming draw units, you will get your wish in the next few years i'm sure. But not making all rifle hunts a draw, its likely that a good chunk of archery hunters will be applying for draw hunts and picking up their dusty rifles for the otc rifle hunts if they are serious about putting meat on their tables. I know i will be.

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
What is real elk hunting? Well, my eyes have been opened, and it is NOT Colorado. I had a chance to hunt another state this year for the first time ever and lets just say, this next five year structure the CBA and other groups should be pushing hard for limits on elk/tag allocations.

The time has come for such groups to get vocal about the current situation occurring in OTC units in CO. Regardless if you kill elk, CO is not elk hunting in any way shape or form compared to what I experienced in a "non draw" unit.

As a resident of CO, I'm already trying to figure out how to hunt out of state next year.
This is interesting, my experience this year during the last week and a half of season was the lowest number of hunters I have seen in the unit in the last 5 years. In fact, when we made it to the trailhead mid-morning on Saturday 10/1, we were the only vehicle left (that has never happened in the 15 years I have been using this trailhead). 2020 was the worst I have seen in terms of number of hunters, but it has been dwindling every since. we actually had a great hunt, with 2 opportunities out of 3 hunters and we came home with 1.

Gerbdog

WKR
Was exact opposite for me this year... never seen so many hunters out that late in the season (late archery that is), normally that last week and a half for me has much emptier trailheads but this year... noooope. Full up. However, if you wanna send over coordinates to your trailhead id be happy to go check out the number of trucks there for you so we can get a good idea of hunting pressure through the year ;) I know its all anecdotal, but i "feel" like closing off other OTC units just ... pushed all the OTC hunters (that includes me) into less units and put more pressure on the elk in those units. CO probably outta just switch them all over to draw at this point because its causing problems in the OTC units that are still there. Just one dude's opinion who isnt an elk biologist.

Ucsdryder

WKR

Weird. Last year you talked about how you kill an elk every year on opening day behind your camp.

This is interesting, my experience this year during the last week and a half of season was the lowest number of hunters I have seen in the unit in the last 5 years. In fact, when we made it to the trailhead mid-morning on Saturday 10/1, we were the only vehicle left (that has never happened in the 15 years I have been using this trailhead). 2020 was the worst I have seen in terms of number of hunters, but it has been dwindling every since. we actually had a great hunt, with 2 opportunities out of 3 hunters and we came home with 1.
You were probably the only vehicle at the trailhead since the season closed the day before..

OP
C
Weird. Last year you talked about how you kill an elk every year on opening day behind your camp.

That's pretty true, but it still doesn't mean CO can't improve. Just as an FYI as you seem to love taking shots whenever you can, I did kill two elk in CO right behind my camp. With nothing else to do, I arrowed a bear as well. Then I took my lazy ass up to WY and arrowed another bull of all places, right behind our 3rd camp.

Ucsdryder

WKR
That's pretty true, but it still doesn't mean CO can't improve. Just as an FYI as you seem to love taking shots whenever you can, I did kill two elk in CO right behind my camp. With nothing else to do, I arrowed a bear as well. Then I took my lazy ass up to WY and arrowed another bull of all places, right behind our 3rd camp.
Sounds like a great season! So why isn’t that “elk hunting”? Not sure what you’re whining about?

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
You were probably the only vehicle at the trailhead since the season closed the day before..
I definitely get that, but in the past, a lot of hunters hunt the last evening and don't pack out until the next morning.....and we definitely saw fewer hunters on the trails and camped on the trails than normal...

I definitely get that, but in the past, a lot of hunters hunt the last evening and don't pack out until the next morning.....and we definitely saw fewer hunters on the trails and camped on the trails than normal...
Ahh my bad, I thought you meant you arrived at the trailhead by truck on 10/1. I bet hunting the first week of October would be money though

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just because you kill an elk opening day or any day of the season, doesn't mean that you had good elk hunting. I'm talking specifically about archery season......as is the OP I believe. I've killed 6x6's in seasons that I would consider horrible elk hunting seasons. And I've eaten my tag in some seasons where I had an absolute blast with outstanding elk hunting all season long. But it's been a few years since one of those.

Haha let’s all take it easy. Same team. But yea, Colorado IMO is a bit overrun in a lot of areas right now. Hopefully things clear up a bit pending bow hunting becomes less of an “in thing” that it is at the moment.
I’ve never hunted Colorado but I feel your pain about over hunting and archery being “the in thing”. I blame YouTube influencers who hunt private land elk factories and make people think harvesting an elk is as easy as walking through the woods with the weapon of your choice. The only YouTube face I have any respect for is Corey Jacobsen, since he hunts public land, not sure about Paul Medel. In northern Idaho we have to deal with Washingtonians flocking over every season along with the massive migration of Californians, Washingtonians, etc caused by Covid hysteria. Along with the wolves, the massive influx of people hunting to be “cool” is over pressuring our animals and making “the hardest place in the country to hunt elk” even harder. I wish Idaho would stop selling tags to out of staters, at the very least limit them in certain units. I hear that Colorado is even worse since that’s where most of the east coasts destination is for an elk hunt. Hopefully the fad only lasts a year or two longer before they move on to something else

Ucsdryder

WKR
Just because you kill an elk opening day or any day of the season, doesn't mean that you had good elk hunting. I'm talking specifically about archery season......as is the OP I believe. I've killed 6x6's in seasons that I would consider horrible elk hunting seasons. And I've eaten my tag in some seasons where I had an absolute blast with outstanding elk hunting all season long. But it's been a few years since one of those.
A dead elk doesn’t make a good season and no dead elk doesn’t make a bad season. I completely agree. But killing 2 elk early in the season, I thought I read opening weekend, and then saying “it isn’t real elk hunting” makes no sense. Maybe pass on those elk and get your money's worth. Or maybe try going to a new spot if that spot is too easy or “not hunting”.

Last edited: