Real food for the Backcountry

Need some ideas for real food to take hunting/scouting/backpacking

Tuna, chicken, or salmon packets

I've always enjoyed peanut butter on a tortilla with some cinnamon sprinkled in.

Pre packaged sealed cheese squares

Cooked Bacon

salami and pepperoni

String cheese and sealed cheese like the squares

Tortilla shells

Dried fruits

Nuts

Peanut butter and jelly cups/packets

Bagels

Am I missing anything else?

Trying to move away from eating so many dehydrated meals and bars. With dehydrated meals I have found the ones that DON'T make my butt leak and I'll keep eating those. With bars I've found a few I can eat for days and not get sick so I'll stick to those few.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
I make macaroons out of almond flour, coconut butter, shredded coconut, agave nectar, salt, vanilla, and a bunch of blueberries. The. I toss them in the dehydrator for a while til they are firm. They are delicious and high calorie.

Northpark

WKR
I also started making homemade dehydrator meals. Chicken pad Thai is a good one. I just ordered some Mylar bags from Amazon then I made the meals at home then dehydrated them and put them in the Mylar bags.

illbell

FNG
I also started making homemade dehydrator meals. Chicken pad Thai is a good one. I just ordered some Mylar bags from Amazon then I made the meals at home then dehydrated them and put them in the Mylar bags.
This is amazing. Gluten destroys me and gluten free dehydrated meals are not cheap. Any vids you can recommend for getting started on this?

UA_Blake

FNG
you are missing an absolutely critical item from your list….SPAM Singles! I grab some Mayo packets from the gas station on the way in and do spam, Mayo, bagel, and cheese. Heating the spam over a fire is the pro move

Northpark

WKR
This is amazing. Gluten destroys me and gluten free dehydrated meals are not cheap. Any vids you can recommend for getting started on this?
I don’t have any videos. I just sort of wing it for this stuff. My pad Thai is a couple servings of rice noodles, a couple tbsp of PB fit peanut butter protein powder, a can of chicken, some green onions, some bean sprouts, some cilantro, red pepper flakes and some peanuts. I salt and pepper the chicken, cook the noodles according to the package, slice the green onions and cilantro, and then dehydrate all that and the bean sprouts. Then i put the dehydrated stuff into the bag, add peanut butter powder and then toss in one of those little packets of soy sauce I usually hoard when we get take out. I also buy the little snack packs of peanuts that I throw in there. To cook I simply open the bag take out the soy sauce packet and peanuts, add a cup of boiling water wait 20 minutes since it takes longer to rehydrate dehydrated meals than freeze dried. Add my soy sauce and peanuts and enjoy.

BDRam16

WKR
I don’t have any videos. I just sort of wing it for this stuff. My pad Thai is a couple servings of rice noodles, a couple tbsp of PB fit peanut butter protein powder, a can of chicken, some green onions, some bean sprouts, some cilantro, red pepper flakes and some peanuts. I salt and pepper the chicken, cook the noodles according to the package, slice the green onions and cilantro, and then dehydrate all that and the bean sprouts. Then i put the dehydrated stuff into the bag, add peanut butter powder and then toss in one of those little packets of soy sauce I usually hoard when we get take out. I also buy the little snack packs of peanuts that I throw in there. To cook I simply open the bag take out the soy sauce packet and peanuts, add a cup of boiling water wait 20 minutes since it takes longer to rehydrate dehydrated meals than freeze dried. Add my soy sauce and peanuts and enjoy.
Holy crap man that sounds amazing. Adding it to the list. As I’m typing this I’m doing a dehydrator meal too.

1lb lean 93/7 ground Turkey
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 jar of pasta sauce (make sure it has no olive oil in it)
1 box of spaghetti.

4 servings
735 cal/112g carbs/40g protein

Season the meat with some Italian seasoning, Lawrys, and red pepper flakes. Mix it in well with the breadcrumbs like a meatball. Brown that and add in your sauce making sure to save just a little bit. Break up spaghetti noodles nice and small and cook as normal. Drain and add to meat sauce. Incorporate and let sit in fridge overnight to absorb the sauce. Next morning take the remaining sauce in jar and add a smidge of water to make sure you get it all and add to spaghetti to wet it up a bit. Mix it up and dehydrate until it is dry and crumbles.

Last edited:

illbell

FNG
Holy crap man that sounds amazing. Adding it to the list. As I’m typing this I’m doing a dehydrator meal too.

1lb lean 93/7 ground Turkey
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 jar of pasta sauce (make sure it has no olive oil in it)
1 box of spaghetti.

4 servings
735 cal/112g carbs/40g protein

Season the meat with some Italian seasoning, Lawrys, and red pepper flakes. Mix it in well with the breadcrumbs like a meatball. Brown that and add in your sauce making sure to save just a little bit. Break up spaghetti noodles nice and small and cook as normal. Drain and add to meat sauce. Incorporate and let sit in fridge overnight to absorb the sauce. Next morning take the remaining sauce in jar and add a smidge of water to make sure you get it all and add to spaghetti to wet it up a bit. Mix it up and dehydrate until it is dry and crumbles.
Amazing guys! Any idea on the shelf life of these homemade dehydrated meals?

BDRam16

WKR
Amazing guys! Any idea on the shelf life of these homemade dehydrated meals?
I stole mine from a YouTube video. He said he’s had them several years later when stored in the freezer. I would say at least a few months if stored dry. Personally, if I pull it out a year+ later and it’s mold free I’d eat it without a second thought lol.

I dehydrated my wife's incredible spaghetti. Rehydrated was literally as good as fresh. I was amazed. So, if you dehydrate good meals made at home, you get real food without the weight of fresh food. You can dehydrate food in the oven if you don't own a dehydrator.

If you are in a place wear you need to carry in all of your water, then fresh fruit, sausages, cheeses, do not count as additional weight penalty, as they contribute to your hydration. You need the same weight in water whether it's already in the food or you have to add it to rehydrate meals. It's only when you can get water in the field that dry foods have a net weight savings.

Last edited:

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I usually do Tuna packets mixed with a Mayo packet on a bagel for lunch, dinner I’ve been going away from mtn house, I’m liking the ramen bomb with a chicken packet put in, or some Costco pho bowls with chicken added are a nice hot meal. Ann chuns teriyaki, pad Thai etc bowls are pretty good with the chicken added also, A bit heavier but a nice meal you can make with boiling water.

Rt_nevada

FNG
I’ve been packing in a summer sausage or pepperoni stick or two and a can of squirt cheeseA2DF995E-8652-4384-B1DE-2D4B9BD0B1E6.jpeg515F2E96-0E66-40BC-AB22-B1F55EA67C02.jpeg
The fordbidden fruit^^^ squirt cheese on a gummy bear, not sure what I was thinking on that one, but I did it anyways.

I'm sure glad I don't camp with you gents. My meals are pot roast, pork chops, steak, roast chicken and what else looks good.

Breakfast is french toast, pan cakes, bacon, ham, and fried spuds .
After dinner is fresh cake, cobbler, and pie.

You folks need to learn to cook with dutch ovens and enjoy life.

BDRam16

WKR
I'm sure glad I don't camp with you gents. My meals are pot roast, pork chops, steak, roast chicken and what else looks good.

Breakfast is french toast, pan cakes, bacon, ham, and fried spuds .
After dinner is fresh cake, cobbler, and pie.

You folks need to learn to cook with dutch ovens and enjoy life.
Well I’m not carrying a Dutch oven and cooler full of ice 5 miles away from my truck….so there’s that.

Garlic Parmesan Moon Cheese or any of the "parmesan crisps" out there now are the best salty/savory/crunchy snack that hit the spot

ognennyy

FNG
I must eat 3-4 hard boiled eggs per day when I'm up in the woods. They're heavy, but that's because they're so densely packed with calories from the right source (fat).

I know you said you're trying to steer away from dehydrated meals but consider making a fatty pot roast - either use a very fatty cut of beef or front shoulder of venison (deer, elk, w/e) - drain and dry it, then toss in olive oil, dehydrate, vacuum seal and freeze. It is loaded with calories, protein, all the vitamins and minerals we need. It's my favorite woods meal.

I would recommend preparing dehydrated pot roasts within 2-3 weeks of when you plan to eat them, freeze immediately, and keep frozen as a long as possible. Ideally do not thaw until within a week of planned consumption. A dehydrated meal that loaded with fat will, of course, eventually go bad. I've never had an issue though with prepping them a couple weeks ahead of my trip and eating them within 10 days of thawing.