Real world binocular advice needed - Please

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I fell in love with this 8×28 MP. It is an absolutely marvelous little glass that is bigger than a compact but smaller than an 8×32, and it combines the best features of both. This glass would be a wonderful companion for any birder. It easily makes our Favorites list and Best Buy list.

If the Swarovski price tag doesn't hurt too bad, I'd buy those, likely in 8X42.
In the next price range, the Zeiss Conquest HD or Nikon HG would be my choice.
The Cabelas Meopta HDs are pretty spectacular, but heavy.
Vortex would not be in the running.

OP
Txelkhunter
Wanted to give an update and say thanks! Went to cabelas today (overcast day), salesman was super cool, we took Vortex Razors 10x42, Cabelas Euro 10x42, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42, Swarovski SLC 10x42, and just for grins the EL 10x42's, down to the landscape area, has some rocky creek areas, and some malards hanging out and bridge area that you could look under into the dark. In the end for me and my eyes it was an extremely close race between the Nikon Monarch HGs and the SLC's, both are very clear and easy to look through, what sold me for the SLC's was the ability for my eyes to focus on what I was looking at almost instantly, where with the others I seemed to have to train my eyes to look at certain details of the image, hard to explain. I had him take the EL's just so I could see if there was anything to the hype they get, I must say they were impressive, was like looking at a crisp bright high definition image for lack of better terms, but way out of my price range. Anyways I'm super pumped with my SLC's and just wanted to say thanks and give an update for anyone in the future that comes down this road.

Thanks again!

Wanted to give an update and say thanks! Went to cabelas today (overcast day), salesman was super cool, we took Vortex Razors 10x42, Cabelas Euro 10x42, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42, Swarovski SLC 10x42, and just for grins the EL 10x42's, down to the landscape area, has some rocky creek areas, and some malards hanging out and bridge area that you could look under into the dark. In the end for me and my eyes it was an extremely close race between the Nikon Monarch HGs and the SLC's, both are very clear and easy to look through, what sold me for the SLC's was the ability for my eyes to focus on what I was looking at almost instantly, where with the others I seemed to have to train my eyes to look at certain details of the image, hard to explain. I had him take the EL's just so I could see if there was anything to the hype they get, I must say they were impressive, was like looking at a crisp bright high definition image for lack of better terms, but way out of my price range. Anyways I'm super pumped with my SLC's and just wanted to say thanks and give an update for anyone in the future that comes down this road.

Thanks again!

Excellent choice! The SLCs will serve you well and i fully understand what you mean regarding the image clarity/focus. And if one day you do decide to get the ELs, your SLCs will hold their value very well for resale. Congrats to you on a great set of binoculars and enjoy them!

Flogger

FNG
Look through as many different binos as you can and figure out what works and looks the best to you.

Buying used binos from a company with a transferable warranty isn’t a bad idea. That way you can put that 500 towards another gear upgrade.

Great choice- you won't regret it- I'm in Texas as well and I want the best glass available for my annual hunting trips out west!

If you are in it for the long run (and with 9 points built up I'd say you are) then the Swaros are the best investment you can make!

Now go get a tripod and an Outdoorsmans bino adaptor and you'll be all set!!!

tdhanses

WKR
I find it interesting how many new members keep pushing this opticzoo, makes one wonder if that company isn’t trying to skirt the sponsor requirement.

For everyone else I’d stick to rokslide sponsors.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks again!
OK, this sounds a whole lot like a pretty typical error being made. So, not trying to be offensive, but do you know how to focus for both eyes using the focus wheel for the left eye then the diopter for the right? This sounds like symptoms of one side of the Nikon being out of focus to me. Also take the performance of display models with at least a small grain of salt. People can and do, do dumb things. Having said that, you will be happy with your Swarovski, happier still if both eyes are focused properly.

Wow, after reading ALOT of post and reviews I really have no idea what I should do now. I'll give some background as what my original plans were, for a spotter I bought a Vortex Razor 22-48x65, Promaster tripod in 2016 for an elk hunt my dad I drew for Colorado, I ended up not being able to really use it due to the amount of timber we were horse backed into. Sometime back, cant really remember I bought a $99 pair of Minox bf 10x42 binos and since I'd never used anything top quality they seemed great and still do, I was able to compare them to a pair of Vortex Viper HD, only difference I seen was the Vipers were brighter during the last 30 minutes of hunting light, which at the time I figured I did good comparing the $$$ that were spent. Every year I try to add something to my arsenal of hunting equipment, this year I was wanting to make it a quality pair of binoculars and was originally planning on going with some vortex razor 10x42's, reason was I use a cabelas card for most everything to accrue points which I can spend at cabelas, currently I have about $500 built up that I can use toward my purchase, I also have a 35% discount I could use directly with vortex, I assume it would be based on msrp though, so it may not be the best route. I'm also not opposed to spend my dollars else where if its the best bang for my buck, just giving background to why I'm referencing cabelas.

Unfortunately now I'm reading vortex has been outsourced to china from japan, I am familiar with other items in the consumer world that are great from japan and crap from china, so that has got me on edge, and I know its easy to get wrapped up in the "great vortex warranty" and as I have read where others pointed out, who know if vortex will be around 20 years from now, and I want my purchase to count. Plus I'm reading alot on here were alot of other choices are superior to the razors in the same price range.

So this year my dad and I have cashed in 9 points in Wyoming for an archery elkhunt, and were being told some of the area is glassable so I would really like to be prepared as possible. I currently don't mule deer hunt, but would like to, just cant take off work that much since I already do an elk hunt every year somewhere. Most of my hunting so far has been in timbered areas, last year I purchased a AGC bino harness to try to start using my binos more while working through timbered areas. I've always heard a good all around power was the 10x42, I've read where alot of people really like the Maven 9x45's, so I'm open to other choices if you have already been down this road and wish you had went the other direction. Below are choices and break down for out of pocket dollars I would have to spend, there area many brands referenced, remember I have no real world experience with anything nice, so anything purchased will most likely be perceived as "better" than my current binos. I'm prepared to spend around $1000, can spend a little more if its really the best deal, I think something like Swaro El's are just out of my budget and honestly it would probably be like a pig in a dress with my eyes, there just not used to seeing or even know what great glass really looks like.

These are all brands / models that can be picked up at cabelas;

Swarovski SLC HD 10x42 $1800: 1800 +148.5(tax) $1948.5 - $500 = $1448.5 out of pocket

Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 $1750: 1750 +144(tax) $1894 - $500 = $1394 out of pocket

Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 $1050: 1050 + 87(tax) $1137 - $500 = $637 out of pocket

These below all end up being the same in store price

Cabelas Instinct Euro HD 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket
(Same as Meopta Meostars)

Vortex Razor HD 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket

Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket
Read these are really good, but not really talked about much

Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 $1000: 1000 + 82.5(tax) $1082.5 - $500 = $582.5 out of pocket

Mavens I would have to buy direct so:

Maven B.1 10x42 $950: $950 + shipping possibly
Maven B.2 9x45 $1050: $1050 + shipping possibly

Again these are models I picked up on through reading, I just need a firm direction on which route is the best in the end, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and do not want to have to make another purchase later on down the road. Thanks in advance for any help and insight, I'm also open to buying used, unfortunately I need more post to use the classifieds section, and I'm not really a poster, more of the reader type, but I will try to get my post count up without being a needless spammer. Also very sorry for another "which binocular" thread, you guys have responded to a ton of them, I know this from reading more pages than I've probably read in the past year!

Thanks guys!
I went with Swarovski 10x42s and never looked back. My best purchase ever....

wapitibob

WKR
OK, this sounds a whole lot like a pretty typical error being made. So, not trying to be offensive, but do you know how to focus for both eyes using the focus wheel for the left eye then the diopter for the right? This sounds like symptoms of one side of the Nikon being out of focus to me. Also take the performance of display models with at least a small grain of salt. People can and do, do dumb things. Having said that, you will be happy with your Swarovski, happier still if both eyes are focused properly.

I believe he is describing the image "pop" that people mention when looking thru top end glass. Hard to describe but you know it when you see it. First time I saw it was looking thru the Meopta; had those in one hand and my Leica in the other, both 12 x 50. Hard to describe but unforgettable.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I believe he is describing the image "pop" that people mention when looking thru top end glass. Hard to describe but you know it when you see it. First time I saw it was looking thru the Meopta; had those in one hand and my Leica in the other, both 12 x 50. Hard to describe but unforgettable.

You don't get the pop you reference with a mis-focused binocular. The Nikon MHG is no slouch and if properly focused it will pop on its own. Not to say the Swarovski wasn't best for his eyes, just you can't make comparisons unless focused right. This is one reason a lot of people don't like in store tests. I have to look at the focus setting on nearly every display binocular I look at. Txelkhunter may well have had them focused.

I've run several optic vendor displays at our local show, and ignorance of this is widespread. I've actually had people think the diopter was a zoom function and they just cranked it all the way to the plus side.

OP
Txelkhunter
You don't get the pop you reference with a mis-focused binocular. The Nikon MHG is no slouch and if properly focused it will pop on its own. Not to say the Swarovski wasn't best for his eyes, just you can't make comparisons unless focused right. This is one reason a lot of people don't like in store tests. I have to look at the focus setting on nearly every display binocular I look at. Txelkhunter may well have had them focused.

I've run several optic vendor displays at our local show, and ignorance of this is widespread. I've actually had people think the diopter was a zoom function and they just cranked it all the way to the plus side.
I made a point to adjust the diopter on all the binos I viewed that day. I know what you mean about demos models, the razors were so bad that I think something had to be wrong with them, don’t get me wrong the Nikons were excellent binos and like I said extremely close, I chose the best I could afford, cause I don’t know ill have the money again.

Thanks

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the SLC over the EL . Congrats on the SLC

Nikon monarch HG is not in the same league overall FYI.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Glad you found ones you like! The search is always fun.

IMO, you did good with Swaro. Even if the monarch was close. Should you have to sell the SLC today, you’d take a minor hit on resale. If you had to sell the HG today...there would be lots of bumps and price drops getting to a price that moves them. Not bc they are bad glass, they are great. But Nikon doesn’t hold the same clout. Just the way it is. Folks don’t go searching for used Nikon when they want to upgrade their current binos. But there’s always someone looking for used Swaro.