Real world McMillan edge stock weight

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I love Mcmillan stocks, but I'll never use an edge fill stock on a magnum again. The last two I had broke/cracked in the recoil lug area. I'm definitely not bashing Mcmillan but I'm going to reserve the edge fill stocks for the mild cartridges in the future. View attachment 259014
In this picture you can see where the cracks started in the recoil lug recess and migrated to the front pillar and into the mag well. All this despite proper inletting and bedding by one of the best in the business.

Mcmillan was great to deal with and replaced the stock under warranty.
You're smarter than me it only took me three edge fill stocks to figure this out. HAHA

BAKPAKR

WKR
I love Mcmillan stocks, but I'll never use an edge fill stock on a magnum again. The last two I had broke/cracked in the recoil lug area. I'm definitely not bashing Mcmillan but I'm going to reserve the edge fill stocks for the mild cartridges in the future. View attachment 259014
In this picture you can see where the cracks started in the recoil lug recess and migrated to the front pillar and into the mag well. All this despite proper inletting and bedding by one of the best in the business.

Mcmillan was great to deal with and replaced the stock under warranty.
What cartridge was your rifle chambered for and was it braked?

I ordered a McMillan hunters edge on 12/31. They told me it should be done in May but it arrived today. Maybe a fluke, or maybe lead times are coming down. Either way, their customer service has always been great.
Weight: 26oz
Inletted for a Model 70, 14.25” lop, 1” decel pad

Just received this edge fill Remington hunter, LA/BDL/#5 barrel channel. 30 oz without pillars and bedding. Was hoping to be 28ish oz after pillars.

Attachments

• 60944F5A-1F9B-4C79-A222-0AE3AE173E29.jpeg
    60944F5A-1F9B-4C79-A222-0AE3AE173E29.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 24

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be willing to bet that’s not an edge fill stock. Unless something has changed, Edge stocks come with pillars installed. If it doesn’t have pillars that would be a red flag to me that it’s a standard full stock. Been there done that

I’d be willing to bet that’s not an edge fill stock. Unless something has changed, Edge stocks come with pillars installed. If it doesn’t have pillars that would be a red flag to me that it’s a standard full stock. Been there done that
Here’s the build tag.

Attachments

• 7D5A92ED-C2C8-40CE-9E85-0067EDB2EC7F.jpeg
    7D5A92ED-C2C8-40CE-9E85-0067EDB2EC7F.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 41
Mcmillan game hunter edge fill, 1" pad, 2 flush cups, no sling swivels, long 700 bdl, sendero channel = 26 oz on my scales.

I am also curious what caliber, bullet weight, rifle weight, and brake were on rifles with broken edge fill stocks. One above is my first edge fill.

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
I have a game scout edge sitting at my gunsmith's shop. Hopefully in a few weeks i'll take possession of the new rig and can get a weight.
Mcmillan game hunter edge fill, 1" pad, 2 flush cups, no sling swivels, long 700 bdl, sendero channel = 26 oz on my scales.

I am also curious what caliber, bullet weight, rifle weight, and brake were on rifles with broken edge fill stocks. One above is my first edge fill.

In talking with my smith he is aware of some of the edge fills breaking, and blames the builders incorrectly bedding the stocks. He claims he removes enough material around the recoil lug area and fills with marinetex that i should never have an issue. We shall see. I'm building a 7RM, will likely have a brake to be on the safe side but have a cap for hunting purposes.

wildcat33

WKR
I cracked mine. Mcmillan hunter. Edge fill. 308 win. 8lbs.

McM CS was great, they said send it back and they’ll replace no problem. It’s minor, so haven’t sent it back yet.

WKR
Mcmillan long action compact stock, bdl inlet, #2 Hart barrel inlet, half inch pad, 22 ounces. Abused on many hunts and a lot of shooting with 6.5-06. Held up beautifully. If bedded well, the action screws should not contact the sides of the pillars. If that happens, your odds of cracking at basically what becomes another recoil lug are high. Not saying any in this thread were, just that it is something to be aware of.

Just ordered a short action, edge, half inch pad, classic, inlet for biggest barrel contour they would inlet for with M5 inlet. Be curious to see what it comes in at.

Proof advertises sub 21oz

We can’t import wildcat anymore for the moment but I know my buddy’s tikka stock finished at 21
The Proof stocks are as lightweight as they say they are. I have 2 now, both short actions and both are just under 20 ozs. They are most similar to a Hunters Edge as far as ergos go but as of now only inlet for a carbon wrapped barrel. For a lightweight pure hunting rifle I do like them though, both of mine fit me perfect.

Antares

WKR
McMillan Game Hunter, EDGE fill, 14 1/2” LOP, 1” pad, Tikka action inlet, sendero barrel channel, painted finish.

Just over 32oz.

Attachments

• 0E18C8CB-6590-4AF4-BFF4-CB1B96372457.jpeg
    0E18C8CB-6590-4AF4-BFF4-CB1B96372457.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 34