Real World Upgrade Differences & Worth It?

Hi All,

Question is beyond the specs or fun of owning the latest and greatest, what real world differences are you experiencing when upgrading to the higher end bows?

In my case, it'd be from a PSE 3B Drive XL I got a couple years ago, with a whisker bisket and 5 pin tru glo sight.

I've mostly been focused on rifle hunting, though got hooked on archery last year on a cow elk hunt, hearing the bulls screaming and where got my shot on a cow but hit a branch. Also, being able to shoot easily in the back yard or at a local 3d shoot is nice.

Thanks,

Steve

Reactions: Zac

fatlander

WKR
Upgrading the bow itself, you won’t see much benefit. It may be a little faster, and a little quieter. However your current bow is plenty fast and quiet.

Upgrading your accessories, specifically your sight and a good set of custom strings will probably add the most benefit. Check out spot hogg and Montana black gold for awesome hunting sights. Your pins will be much brighter, the whole unit more robust, and if you get a slider you can practice out to much further distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Nothing that meaningful, your bow has nice specs. There is no need to upgrade anything unless you want to. A new rest, sight, new threads if needed, if so inclined.

OP
L
Awesome, thanks guys! Just saved me some mental energy and dough, but my hunting buddy may be bummed he won't be able to buy my hand-me-down for cheap.

Yes, speed seems fine as during yesterday's 3D shoot my arrows always were the toughest to pull out of our group who were shooting 70+# bows. Mine's about 65# now, but with a draw length of 30.5".

I just had the string replaced but embarrassed to say I trusted the pro shop to choose and am a bit ignorant about it. I think it was a "Platinum" string if that makes sense, but do know it seemed very expensive at something like $150-$180.

Rest will be next upgrade followed by sight then.

Thanks!

Zac

WKR
Awesome, thanks guys! Just saved me some mental energy and dough, but my hunting buddy may be bummed he won't be able to buy my hand-me-down for cheap.

Yes, speed seems fine as during yesterday's 3D shoot my arrows always were the toughest to pull out of our group who were shooting 70+# bows. Mine's about 65# now, but with a draw length of 30.5".

I just had the string replaced but embarrassed to say I trusted the pro shop to choose and am a bit ignorant about it. I think it was a "Platinum" string if that makes sense, but do know it seemed very expensive at something like $150-$180.

Thanks!
That's an ABB Platinum. Very good threads. Get yourself a Hamskea Primer, back bar, and a sight with a 3rd Axis and you'll be set.

cured_ham

WKR
New sight and rest should set you up nicely. I highly recommend Hamskea with the microtune.

Rob5589

WKR

Thanks!
Sounds like your money should be spent on a press, draw board, etc to start doing your own set up and tuning.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Heck, I just bought another 2006 Bowtech Old Glory yesterday. So now I will have two identical older bows as backups. I might just set one of them up strictly for 3D. I love that bow, and it's only 9fps slower than my PSE Freak when they're set at the same draw weight. Although the Freak is smoother and more quiet.

Jimbob

WKR
I think a release has had the biggest effect on my accuracy, next would be the sight.

Although when I upgraded from a 2004 hoyt razortec to a 2014 Carbon spyder turbo my accuracy decreased and I spent a bunch of years fighting with that bow until I finally sold it and bought a Mathews Vertix. The CST was not forgiving and did not fit me right.

Of course practice/form and a properly set-up and tuned bow trump any improvements in equipment.

Reactions: Zac

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Wise words. I think I got lucky with a used bow that fit me. Love learning after the fact whether or not my kit works...! (Sarcastic)
Iterative changes are occasionally frustrating, but are part of learning.

OP
L
Great stuff guys and as much as many of us like an excuse for new hunting gear, I really appreciate NOT spending the money and focusing on nailing down how I shoot my existing bow, plus what potential upgrades could make a difference.

Looking at sights, the vertical 2 pin spot hogg looks great for the simple sight picture, as it's more similar to what I'm used to with the rifle as well. Just need to figure out the best way to set the pin distance, holdover, etc. so I don't have to adjust under 45 or 50 yard shots.

Last edited: