Realistic elk outfitters

I posted awhile back asking about landowner tags in New Mexico or Colorado and didn’t get much of a response so I started cold calling different outfitters and rocksliders that had posted previous on similar threads. After not much success in getting info I thought maybe the guided route would be good but honestly cannot find anyone within my price (I was thinking if I went landowner tag 4-5k in New Mexico and guided around 6k Colorado). All the outfitters I’ve looked at in Colorado will pretty much be in OTC units hunting the same ground I can without that much of an improvement in shot opportunities or success rates. This will be my 3rd year archery elk hunting and I am really looking to finally get it done. My question is should I just keep hunting OTC units DIY with maybe 10% success rates, look into other states land owner tags, hold off this year to save up for better opportunities,..???

wyosteve

WKR
Unfortunately with what it sounds like your price range is, you are probably going to have to continue DIY. Most outfitter hunts in Wyo. are $7000 and up.

Keep building points in a couple of stares and hunting diy so that when you spend that money you will also have some experience and know what you are doing a little bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you devote more time with DIY with those funds?
A second elk tag, late season cow etc.
A guided hunt should shorten your learning curve and improve success in future years but you'll get there on your own as well.

OP
T
I like the idea of another elk hunt this year but like most people time is the issue (had our first child earlier this year). The more and more I research and look into it the more I’m realizing that it’s gonna be another DIY public land year for me

When I guide and hire guides that work for me out #1 priority regardless is teaching the client, I want the clients to learn so they don’t have to pay for a guided hunt every single year. They can learn from me and my experience, then come back for drop camps and more diy hunts.

Question is have you ever had an opportunity to harvest urself? 10% of hunters kill 90% of the elk. So ur in the 90% that doesn’t harvest. You can pay money and try to up your odds and learn whether successful or not, you can learn a lot from a seasoned guide just by following them for 5 days.

OP
T
When I guide and hire guides that work for me out #1 priority regardless is teaching the client, I want the clients to learn so they don’t have to pay for a guided hunt every single year. They can learn from me and my experience, then come back for drop camps and more diy hunts.

Question is have you ever had an opportunity to harvest urself? 10% of hunters kill 90% of the elk. So ur in the 90% that doesn’t harvest. You can pay money and try to up your odds and learn whether successful or not, you can learn a lot from a seasoned guide just by following them for 5 days.

I agree 100%

fatlander

WKR
Sounds like killing an elk with your bow is a bucket list item. Stop wasting your money hunting otc units DIY. Save your money and go on a guided hunt with a reputable outfitter that has very high success rates.

If you really want to learn how to hunt elk, keep hunting the same OTC unit and learn it like the back of your hand. Hunting a good tag in a state like NM isn’t going to help you much for learning how to find and kill pressured elk on otc public land hunts.