Realistic Expectations for Mule Deer

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been fortunate to take elk, antelope, and several nice whitetails. I've have hunted mulies before but I always passed on the bucks I saw. I looked over quite a few but in hindsight perhaps I expected too much in terms of antlers. I am not looking for a record book buck by any stretch but I want to get a buck that represents what a good mature deer would look like today. Mulies are critters I have the least amount of confidence in hunting.

I don't have an exact deer in mind as far as far as a score but I would like a fairly heavy 4x4 with maybe a 25-26 inch spread. I am looking at using my Wy points (2 below max) or perhaps another state that offers some version of OTC tags. I would probably do a rifle hunt but would not rule out an archery hunt.

To me a good mule deer buck is one of the most difficult animals to harvest. To be fair I have not put a ton of effort into research for this but judging by the amount of smaller deer I have seen, bigger bucks must be quite different animals. I have seen some good antelope, nice elk and quite a few bigger whitetails but only one really good muley that I can remember-he was about 26 inches and pretty heavy but I did not have a deer tag at the time. He would have been just what I was looking for if I did have a tag.

Are my expectations realistic for public land and a very basic knowledge base to draw upon?

BFR

WKR
Not unreasonable, but not easy either. The later in the season the better and if possible the rut. It’s been my experience the bigger bucks with does tend to stay on the outer edges and come out after the does are all ready feeding mostly ignoring the little forkies until the rut gets really under way. Once the rut starts all bets are off, the only thing that’s consistent is he’s going to have his nose in the does business. One thing to remember is while average mulie ears are 20-22” they can and sometimes will be wider. I have a 26” buck on my wall that’s barely wider than the ears.

Marble

WKR
My favorite time to hunt big bucks is when they are at or above tree line. Summer feeding pattern.

I think it kind of depends on where you are. If you're in a unit in Colorado with really limited tags, a 175" deer is unlikely to turn many heads. But if you are in a general unit that has country that's easier to hunt (Say, Montana), a 150" deer might be one to get excited about.

Hunt for the experience that's gonna make you happy, not for what you think others are gonna think of how big the deer you ultimately decide to take is.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Hunt for the experience that's gonna make you happy, not for what you think others are gonna think of how big the deer you ultimately decide to take is."

Excellent point-I have never been one to be terribly concerned with others opinions of my hunting success in terms of quality of animals taken. I do not ask my questions to worry of other opinions but rather to know what I should expect in realistic terms given my desire to do this on public land with my limited mule deer experience. I do not post hunting photos on social media at all and I don't care to. The only place I know of where you will find any pic of animals I have taken is here on Roksllde-and they are few and far between. If I do not get a deer at all I enjoy myself just as I did on previous hunts.

Thanks for the replies!

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
“bigger bucks must be quite different animals”

I need to read it again, but I believe that Robby makes this point in his book-that big bucks are a different animal altogether.

As far as what your describing, those bucks are out there. I am trying to get it done on a buck like that myself.

WCB

WKR
I would say shoot what makes you happy of course. I would also say a true mature mule deer is hard enough to kill without putting a magical mark on width or score. They way I approach any species is kill mature animals and the next be bigger than the last. I have seen some really really nice mule deer bucks (180s) passed because of width and no other reason and I have seen them shot for no other reason than width and it leaves me scratching my head. I like to use a bit of a give and take...he isn't really wide but he is tall with great forks. or doesn't have great mass but forks and width are good/great.

Be careful with putting a mark on specific measurements because it can lead to disappointment. Using a 20-22 inch measurement for ears can get you in trouble. I have measured bucks of similar age in the same area and they have ranged from 18"-24". Of course visually the bodies were much different but that was on a straight up comparison hanging next to each other.

A lot needs to be taken into consideration and body size/head size can vary from state to state. Hell in MT alone there seems to be a huge difference from southern part of the state to the northern part.

Last edited:
They key is knowing your area very well and hunting it hard everyday possible. You can have max points and draw a very “nice” area but if you dont know the area its a dice roll. People who know their OTC areas very well can out do most people who draw “best area” tags. An outfitter is always an option too if you cant scout the area ahead of time.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
All good points. I don't know about the rest of you but bigger mulies seem to be rarer than most other animals.
I've spotted really nice moose, elk, antelope, plenty of stud whitetails and even wolves but almost no big mule deer-which is probably why is probably why I am now hoping to go after one. Funny how I never really focused on mulies much before but here recently it has gotten in my head.

It is kinda' out of my comfort zone but that should make it more fun.

i wouldn't necessarily say "big bucks" are different animals, as much as I'd say older bucks are. Every hunter has the bar that they set for success, but after chasing numbers a bit (and meeting the goal a couple of times) I found A LOT more fulfillment in finding a buck with "that look" and chasing that individual deer. Long story short, unless you want your name in the book, find a buck that looks big, and dont sweat the numbers. Of course, this is only my opinion

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've killed my fair share of big bucks and I believe most the time big and over 26 wide is not realistic. My biggest deer scores 195 and is 24 wide. Wide can be harder to come by than big. I would recommend burning those points and then finding units you can hunt every year. It takes experience to get good at this and big bucks can be found about anywhere if you know what your doing. Good luck!

My favorite time to hunt big bucks is when they are at or above tree line. Summer feeding pattern.
Me too.... since the Wyoming season runs early and a late season Colorado tag in a great unit isn’t easy to draw.

Besides the rut is great but a little hit and miss. If you spot a big buck you have to make a move... if you can, because you might never see him again. During early season you can watch him, pattern him, and come up with a master plan for the next day.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
All great points mentioned so far. Years ago we used to gun hunt in WY for mule deer but in mid October it could be hit or miss because of weather and other factors; we switched to special archery season and will never go back. Less hunting pressure, easier to pattern, etc.

I can't speak to prevalence but in my experience in the area I hunt (which can usually be had with zero points), I'll see a buck like BJP posted one out of every ten or so deer. Usually once a trip I'll see a group of bucks in that size range hanging together, but they are generally pretty smart and hard to get to. Many deer I see have that potential, but like with all deer, the younger ones tend to be more visible. So they are in there, but you have to be patient, or lucky, to get one.

Jimss

WKR
Wyo muledeer have struggled in most units across the state. Not only harsh winters, but severe drought several years ago has impacted not only deer numbers but quality of feed, fawn crop, etc. Predators also don't help.

Every deer unit in Wyo is a little different. Winterkill, conditions, tag numbers, genetics, etc can change dramatically from one unit to the next.

The more time, boot leather, and research you are willing to devote to a hunt the better chance for success. Getting good, sound advice about particular units and honey holes within those units is often like pulling teeth....and held sacred in most eyes!

I don’t think your expectations are unrealistic as there are plenty of places you can find what you’re looking for it’s just going to take time. My first mule deer was a 170 in Colorado. An old buck with a huge neck and gut. I was thrilled as it was my first. For a while after that I only looked for bucks bigger than that. I would pass bucks that were great bucks but I didn’t like one fork or not heavy enough or wide enough, just being too picky, then to be bummed to see those bucks got killed when getting back to the truck a couple days later at the trail head. Since then I realized that that day will come where I kill a true trophy by any standards. My whole train of thought has changed on trophy mule deer now days. I look for just an old deer that’s got a blown up body and I don’t care what his antlers look like and having a great experience. I love big fat mature mulie bucks. Since changing my expectations and just looking for mature old bucks I have been so much happier and thankful at the end of my hunts.

Background I grew up with unrealistic expectations on mule deer. My dad being a heck of mule deer hunter and killing bucks over 180 about every other year and would stare at all them on the wall not realizing just how good of a hunter he is and what a true honey hole he, my grandpa, and uncles had found that they kept to themselves. Through the years they killed several over 200 and lots in the 190’s.

Jimss

WKR
If you know the potential of a unit drawn you can adjust your standards and expectations accordingly. I've drawn tags in Colo where I had extremely high standards. I passed up quite a few bucks that others would likely gagged over. In the end I had a fantastic time and didn't harvest a buck because I kept my standard so high. That's often the attitude you need if you want the best chance to harvest a true trophy class animal.

With lengthy hunting seasons and plenty of time it's possible to remain selective. A lot of hunters often lower their standards towards the end of a long season after they've seen what's available the particular year they draw a tag.

Research and scouting often give hunters a clue to what's available. I've lost count of how many hunts I've harvested whopper bucks, bulls, rams, and billies on opening day. In most cases I had a lot more excitement on the scouting trips prior to the season!

Marble

WKR
Me too.... since the Wyoming season runs early and a late season Colorado tag in a great unit isn’t easy to draw.

Besides the rut is great but a little hit and miss. If you spot a big buck you have to make a move... if you can, because you might never see him again. During early season you can watch him, pattern him, and come up with a master plan for the next day.
This is exactly right. The big bucks we have killed in the last 20 years have been spotted and watched for at least half a day, usually two days. They have a pattern they make to eat, sleep feed and travel. If you figure that out its game over.

As soon as they get out of the alpine, it's tough. Hard to spot them and harder to pattern them

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies and BJP, I would be thrilled with a deer close to either of yours.
That Wyo G buck is a beautiful animal.

All this information gives me something to think about. I hope I do not come across like an arrogant trophy hunter-nothing could be farther from the truth but I like antlers as much as the next guy. I just want something I can look at and know I put forth appropriate effort and hunted hard for a good representation of the animal I am seeking.

Every year during archery season 80 pounds doe deer cause my pulse to increase just about as much as a 180 pound wide racked 10 point whitetail buck.