Realistic Expectations for Mule Deer

There is nothing wrong with wanting to shoot a big buck. In my opinion so long as you eat the meat or someone else does and it isn't wasted who cares if you are trophy hunting. I love eating mule deer but I have eaten lots of tags in search of bigger deer in my life.

It's so funny the evolution of how that works oftentimes. I was so excited for any buck when I was younger. Now I'm not too worked up to eat tags if I don't find something that meets the criteria I'm looking for. The decisions are all very individual.

Rich M

WKR
I was trying to figure out what to shoot and expect last year. It really comes down to what'll make you happy. I had decided a 3x3 or better in the 120 and up or better range was preferable for my first, possibly only Mule deer.

Then came hunt time. I was sick, another guy was sick and left early before temps went subzero, 3rd guy was fine and my 80 yo father was fine but freezing and expecting a deer every day. Almost shot a 2x2 on day 5 to make dad happy but couldn't take that little deer. Ended up getting some good advice and private access from a nice fellow who just started telling us what to do, and then said go hunt this field. Got this buck on day 6.

1031191754.jpg

159 inches w an approx 1 inch sticker point that bumps it to 160 if you count those.

Just shoot the one you want to shoot and you'll know it when you see him. Mine is a little light on mass but still 25 inches wide and was heavy. Biggest deer I ever shot or shot at. Kind of regret not mounting him as he's the end result of about 38 years of wanting to shoot one.

I hope you get the one you want.

S.Clancy

WKR
If you see a big one, you'll know. I've hunted OTC Montana for mulies for over 15 years, we prob see a couple 160"+ bucks a year. We're actively trying to shoot those cause a 4+ yr old deer in eastern MT is a unicorn it seems.

Trying to determine what is realistic myself heading out to SD for archery this year. My hunting buddy and myself have both shot one smaller muley buck each so we are hoping to improve on that. I'll need to research field judging mule deer more - lots of experience with judging whitetails but not much with muleys - any tips are appreciated 👍

S.Clancy

WKR
Trying to determine what is realistic myself heading out to SD for archery this year. My hunting buddy and myself have both shot one smaller muley buck each so we are hoping to improve on that. I'll need to research field judging mule deer more - lots of experience with judging whitetails but not much with muleys - any tips are appreciated 👍
Look for as wide as the ears, looks taller than it does wide, and mass. All these things look different based on the size of the animal. The buck I shot this year I was iffy on shooting, then a doe stood next to him and his body was huge in comparison. What I thought was a 160" ish buck was 28" wide and grossed just under 178". I've passed BIG bucks thinking they were average because the bodies were the size of yearling cow elk.

3855WIN

FNG
The services will say a unit has 180”s. That might be true, but they also might be real hard to see. For a non-resident who can’t make a pre-scout trip, it can be tough to find the top end bucks.

bigmoose

WKR
Look for as wide as the ears, looks taller than it does wide, and mass. All these things look different based on the size of the animal. The buck I shot this year I was iffy on shooting, then a doe stood next to him and his body was huge in comparison. What I thought was a 160" ish buck was 28" wide and grossed just under 178". I've passed BIG bucks thinking they were average because the bodies were the size of yearling cow elk.

I agree with S.Clancy. This is what to look for in a mature buck. Sometimes you will be fooled by body size. I shot a buck one time that I thought was just a nice 22" er. Walking up to him, I realized my mistake. He was 26" and field dressed 306 lbs. with dark heavy antlers that went 170 and was just out to his ears. He was a loner. Another time I shot a buck that was with two others, a 3 point and a another 4 point. He was a 4X5 and just dwarfed the other four point. When I got up to him I realized he was probably only a three year old with a 150 lb. body. He scored 163 but was not a mature buck. I should have noticed he was about the same size as the other bucks. Having other deer with a possible shooter will give you an idea about body size.

I appreciate the field judging tips! I have a lot more questions but will save them for my own thread.