Realistic ranges for light weight rifle

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m a flatlander from NE Ohio who has an addiction to shooting rifles. My western hunting rifles are a tikka t3x with an elite 6500 2.5-16 and a mark V lightweight in .257 weatherby mag with a vx3. My tikka weighs 7lbs 1oz with 3rds in the mag my Mark V 8lbs. I shoot my tikka 200 plus rounds a year all reloads and it’s 1 moa to 400yds off the bench or prone from my pack but when I go to 500yds it grows to 1.5-2moa. I will not shoot at anything over 450yds away(haven’t had to shoot past 330yds yet). So are a lot people just bullshittin about there distances they are shooting? Because when my rifle is on my pack the shots are noticeably harder than off a bench with sandbags. I realize guys on this forum are the exception but are you guys here the long range BS I am ?

OP
Lelder

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I guess my disgust comes from so many people saying they are shooting distances with light/ultralight rifles that I am shooting with my F-class .308 it could be me but it’s not what I’m seeing from guys near me at the range

JakeSCH

WKR
I keep a rear bag stuffed with slime styrofoam balls attached to my pack that I use for a rear rest for long shots in the field. But all my shots at game over 600y have been with a 9.5 lb rifle. Sub 8 lb rifles shots have been 430 or less.

I still need to stretch out my new 6.5 lb rifle in 280ai in field position.

carter33

WKR
I don’t think shooting off a pack is conducive to wringing out the best accuracy you can muster out of your rifle. What’s in your pack and how you have to manipulate it for the shot will typically be variable. You can be a lot more consistent with a bipod & rear bag. If you shoot fclass I’m sure you know that though.

That being said a lighter rifle is of course tougher to shoot well but some guys out there shoot thousands of rounds a year, those people probably know their limitations better than the average joe that shoots a few boxes a year and thinks he’s good out to a range he hasn’t even shot. The lightweight rifles are just as accurate if the shooter does their part, I think the number that can do it well past say 5-600 yards is very small.

Folks don’t having an issue shooting lightweight rifles well. Folks have an issue with recoil. Folks tend to think they’re more recoil tolerant than they really are. Go to a range and look at how many folks flinch. Hell, take a look in camp when folks check their zero.

If lightweight rifles truly were an issue, then rimfires would not be so popular especially for training new shooters.

83cj-7

WKR
Let me give you my most recent light rifle experience. I spent a bunch of money to build a light rifle with a proof carbon barrel and even bought a new lightweight suppressor just for the build. The rifle is chambered in .280 Rem and completely setup with scope, suppressor, ammo and sling it weighs 8.5lbs. I shoot it a lot for practice and have noted that if I am not completely focused on managing recoil, such as shooting off a pack, I get vertical stringing. Most of my practice is 400+ yards and I see about 1 MOA vertical if I’m not perfectly on my game. At 650 yards I sometimes will overshoot my 8” steel if I don’t keep the muzzle from jumping. Frustrated by this I decided to try switching to my other suppressor that weighs another 12oz. Amazingly that extra weight is the ticket to stop that vertical stringing. The rifle is so much easier to shoot and I am much more confident putting rounds on target. The sad thing is that I spent a bunch of money on a lightweight barrel and suppressor only to find that what I really want is a little of that weight back. I guess it all works out, the lightweight suppressor now goes on my heavy varmint rifles that already weight 10lbs.

z987k

WKR
The key is a brake or suppressor. Call me recoil sensitive but I won't shoot without one. Also 3006 is tops for me recoil wise. Braked only. Past that, I'm quite capable of getting within range to make it a lethal round on anything, and I can spot my shots.
I'm pretty much at the point that if I can't spot my shots out of my scope I'm not interested in the cartridge.
At the same time my rifles with suppressor, scope and rounds in them come in under 8lbs. My fieldcraft is 6 and change loaded for hunting and I don't have to put a hand on the fore grip it recoils so little(6.5cm) and can still spot my shots.
500yrds is generally my cartirdge limiting range. But at that range, the animal has no idea you're there, you can get even closer.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Alot of variables involved. And that requires alot of knowledge, practice and experience. Be realistic, ethical, and confident in yourself and your equipment and you will find your answer.

CoStick

WKR
I have a Barrett fieldcraft in .270 that is incredibly accurate. In the right hands I bet it would be great at extended ranges. I don’t practice enough to stretch it too far. Still makes me smile whenever I am shooting it.

I guess my disgust comes from so many people saying they are shooting distances with light/ultralight rifles that I am shooting with my F-class .308 it could be me but it’s not what I’m seeing from guys near me at the range
Its going to be more difficult making hits at 900 yards with your heavy .308 than my 7.5lb 6.5 saum.
It all comes down to practice, I haven't shot off a bench since I was a teenager.
For LR I use a bipod exclusively and stuff my pack or a jacket under my stock for rear support.
I can make first round hits at 600 yards all day with my 16" barrel wearing a banish 30 Suppressor, thats my max hunting range with that rifle due to energy on target.
At 800 yards making hits on a 12x16" plate is pretty easy as well, but I have a 30 Nos for killing at that range

Practice is key, I have friends who have a rifle/cartridge setup to kill at 800yds but 400yds is a struggle for them to be accurate. I used to practice at 400, then 600, now 800+. Doesn’t mean I hunt those ranges. But I like to practice farther and farther to challenge myself. These shots are all prone but with a bubble level I have confidence to make a 450yd shot off my pack all day. With a lightweight setup I would agree with some concerns mentioned here with recoil and rifle management. Has anyone ever considered running a tripod to shoot off of? You’d be amazed at how a 400-500yd shot becomes capable and manageable off a tripod when off a pack gives you reserves about taking the shot. Was out practicing the other week with a buddy who has a 8lb 7saum and he center punched a 8” plate at 725yds first shot, moved to a 12” plate at 975yds and repeated the process.

once again practice practice practice. Work beyond your max hunting ranges and those ranges will become easier.

huntnful

WKR
Get a bipod on that rifle instead of using your pack. That's IF you actually want longer range accuracy. If you're happy with your system and cool with 400 yards, leave it alone. But a stabile front rest with an added rear rest will increase accuracy. People that are shooting better groups with lighter rifles I guarantee have a much more stable shooting platform.

OP
Lelder

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Harris but was trying to keep the weight down. I may have to revisit using that.

huntnful

WKR
I have a Harris but was trying to keep the weight down. I may have to revisit using that.
Yup exactly dude. It's just a conscious decision for you to make whether that added weight is worth it. I hunted a whole season without a bipod to save weight. The harris' are heavy. I killed a buck at 400 yards off my pack. Last year I switched over to a Spartan Precision bipod setup. Pretty dang light and convenient to not have it attached to your rifle all the time. Killed a buck at 630 & 540 yards last year off the little bipod. It's worth the weight to me 100%. My current rifle setup is 9lbs.

OP
Lelder

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I’ll look into those. I need to do something because I know my pack is the limiting factor

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So are a lot people just bullshittin about there distances they are shooting? Because when my rifle is on my pack the shots are noticeably harder than off a bench with sandbags. I realize guys on this forum are the exception but are you guys here the long range BS I am ?

Yes, there is a lot of nonsense about shooting. However, shooting off a pack can be done quite effectively with good technique and proper practice. 450 isn’t even challenging.

Use my Harris quite a bit. But it’s not perfect for all situations. Packs come in handy but do have some limitations as well. This is where having multiple tools helps a lot.