Realistic ranges for light weight rifle

Yes, there is a lot of nonsense about shooting. However, shooting off a pack can be done quite effectively with good technique and proper practice. 450 isn’t even challenging.
Packs can work well if you can get steady; applicable to everything actually. A lot easier if you practice with it (typical day load).

Afhunter1

WKR
Take your 2 liter water bladder and lay it across your scope. Just made your lightweight a 10# rifle. Can always find someway to add weight to a light gun in the field but hard to take weight off a heavy gun.

huntnful

WKR
Take your 2 liter water bladder and lay it across your scope. Just made your lightweight a 10# rifle. Can always find someway to add weight to a light gun in the field but hard to take weight off a heavy gun.
Do not do this. It can create different pressure point areas and cause torque that was never introduced during the sight in process. We're talking long range shooting. Minor changes can make huge differences at 500+ yards.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Like has been stated. You are missing out on fundamentals of shooting. If your groups are opening up, its most likely you. If its not you specifically. Its your setup. Everyone has their own max limit. Yours may be just 500 yards.

If you want to get better practice farther and farther. True your ballistics, get a proper optic for LR, and get a proper shooting support setup.. at the end of the day if your bullets are grouping fine, up close, and your twist is stabilizing them well enough, not going transgenic etc.. its you. Has always been you and will always be .. you.

My ultra light gun is a kimber 338-06 that’s 5 pounds naked and 6 ready to hunt. I feel more than comfortable with it to 350 using the reticle hold overs. If I’m expecting longer shots I’ll take a different rifle or plan on getting closer.

madcalfe

WKR
I'm lucky and have a local gun range that goes out to 1300 meters. so I get out a burn quite a bit of powder.
I'm competent out to 1100 yards with my custom 300wsm its 5lbs 4oz bare and 8lbs 2oz hunt ready. Using a bipod and some sort of rear bag in fairly calm conditions I can hit a 12" plate regularly. I've shot off a backpack lots and 600 yards id be surprised if I could hit it 3 for 3.
My personal hunting limit though is around 700 yards and even then it would have to be a nice calm day.