realistically how big of a grizzly in the Brooks Range (or any interior grizzly)?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm 99% certain I'm going to purchase a grizzly license on an upcoming Dall hunt in the Brooks Range; what would be a good interior grizzly in this area? I definitely don't want to shoot a grizzly just because I have a license, partly because I've killed a big (big for Montana) black bear already. If I don't come home with a grizzly it won't be the end of the world. If I harvest one I'd like it to be a good one, just not sure what a good one would be for this area.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
average is about 7' for an Interior griz. Largest one I've killed in GMU 20 was 8' and 16 years old. Depends on your guide's area but i wouldn't expect too many over 7-8'

7' for the Brooks in that area would be about top end in most cases. Certainly possible to find something bigger, just not likely.

Yup, agree with the above posts. The biggest bear that I have personally seen come out of the Brooks was just over 8’, and anything over 7’ is probably a good representation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatbacks

WKR
I would get a tag if I were you... I see more grizzly while sheep hunting than any other activity. Saw some super nice bears in the brooks last fall. They might not be huge, but they are a trophy nonetheless.