Reality Check on 338WM loads

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Starting some load development on a new to me Ruger #1 in 338WM with a 26” barrel.

The first loads I fired were what is printed on the H4350 can of 69.5 grain with a 225 SP. Listed velocity for that load is 2785. I loaded 10 of these rounds to get the scope zeroed. Actual velocities averaged 2883 fps with a SD of 12.7 for 6 of the rounds I fired.

I also had a 10 round ladder test with 230 ELD-X and H4350 which gave these results:
68.3 - 2821
68.6 - 2860
68.9 - 2882
69.2 - 2873
69.5 - 2889
69.8 - 2913
70.1 - 2924
70.4 - error
70.7 - did not fire
71 - did not fire

Chronograph was set up right at 15' from muzzle.
That dip right at 69.2 – 2873 fps is the area where I plan on testing next.

All these velocities are right around 100 fps above what the book gives. I am liking these velocities, but need a sanity check before further testing. Published data lists 24” barrels, my Ruger has a 26” barrel so my thoughts are that I am good to go. Interested in hearing from those of you that load for and shoot a 338WM.

Not sure what to look for in terms of pressure signs with a single shot/falling block action other than velocities and maybe hard to extract?? With a bolt gun, I look for ejector marks, hard bolt lifts, pierced or popped primers, as well as velocities.

tdot

WKR
Do you know your Chrono is accurate?

From the testing I've read 2" of extra barrel in a 338wm would likely yield a 50fps gain at max.

How does your COAL compare to the load data? I've had fast loads when I was able to load more powder due to a longer throat then SAAMI.

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know your Chrono is accurate?

From the testing I've read 2" of extra barrel in a 338wm would likely yield a 50fps gain at max.

How does your COAL compare to the load data? I've had fast loads when I was able to load more powder due to a longer throat then SAAMI.

No reason to doubt the chrono. Seems to work fine.

I am loading just a hair over book COAL. I have not measured to the lands yet. Now that I have some cases formed to the chamber, I can make up a modified case to do that.

tdot

WKR
No reason to doubt the chrono. Seems to work fine.

I am loading just a hair over book COAL. I have not measured to the lands yet. Now that I have some cases formed to the chamber, I can make up a modified case to do that.

I have used two optical chronograph's. Both were out by roughly 25 to 50fps after I shot the same loads over 3 different Labradars. It was irritating, cuz 4 different rifles and 7 loads were all slower then I thought they were.

I always use a cleaning rod to know where the lands are before I can make up a twice fired and modified case to confirm and test in the future.

You dont need the little clamps they use, there are other ways to mark the rod. It's generally a fairly accurate method, within a few thousands.

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, did not know that kit existed, going to order one asap.