Really dirty water help.

another idea. maybe try a diesel filter sock. they come in different microns and weigh nothing.

The bandana is a good idea, I was thinking that or like someone posted a few years ago a diesel filter.

Digging a pool I like that idea, thanks.

depending on the site, dig something as deep as practical. 24 inches or so. If you can’t go too deep dig out a trough. something with 2-3x the capacity you are looking for. Separate it from the main body of water With a mud wall and let it seep to fill up.

Rokbar

WKR
We had to drink some pretty nasty water with iodine tabs when I was in the army. Tasted horrible, but they said we'd be fine. Been25 years ago so the tabs must have worked.

Jardo

WKR
There's some good advice here. A pump filter is going to be your best bet. The best way to remove nasty piss taste is with a a carbon filter. Here's what I would do:

1. Filter through your sawyer or katadyn hiker
2. Drop a few drops of bleach just to be sure (iodine will work but tastes like shit and bleach will gas off after a few hours).
3. Run finished water through a charcoal filter to remove bad taste.
4. Enjoy

Katadyn vario has a ceramic, cartridge, and a charcoal filter all in one. This may be your best bet. Bring replacement filters and charcoal in case it gets clogged up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Ive had to drink out of a cow pond after 2 days of no water. I pre filtered with a shirt, pumped with my katadyne then boiled it in my jetboil. It still tasted awful. Didn't get sick and it was way nastier than what you're looks like.

FelixWill

FNG
Yeah I understand you, usually when I go outside in forest or at lake I have with me a water filter. To be honest I always have with me in my pick up a big bottle with water (5L) from my home. At home I have a good filtration system and I also have an Alkaline Water Pitcher. I usually take with me a water pitcher in my little travels, you can check diligentchef.com if you want to find best pitchers. It is very important to drink a clean and potable water and always to have with you at least 0.5L because you never know what can happen.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv done some cattle pond filtering a while back. Now I just pack extra water.

My 2 cents. As far as filters go the katadyn did okay with the crap water. But mine broke. All other filters Iv tried clogged, and were a waste of time, including a sawyer and a msr microworks. If I were in this situation again I’d be looking hard at the msr guardian though I’m only going off what Iv read

Bring tabs. The chlorine taste will mask the shit taste. Good backup too if you have a crack in your filter or something happens.

Personally I’d load up 2 10 liter msr drom bags with clean water and hump it in. 4 liters a day will get you five days. Plus your 3.5 gallons back there I think your wasting time filtering water out of a cattle pond.