Really, truly, awful accuracy....

Anybody seen a rifle that shot over a foot at 100... or even closer to 15moa, with nothing obviously wrong with it??

HAS to be an optics issue right? No shot out barrel, or dinged crown, or other issue with the barrel/action would lead to that right? The scope seemed tight in the rings, and the bases were tight (I have taken it all apart now, but not put it back together). I guess what I'm saying is that, when taking it apart, all torques seemed reasonable...

7mm ruger tanger. Leupold xvii 3-9

Thoughts?

Also - I am capable of good groups with other rifles, so spare me any 'cross-eyed operator' remarks 🙂

EastMT

WKR
Uffda. A buddy bought a used rifle once and shot terrible. He bore scoped it and somehow had a burr in the barrel. Had it machined shot fine.

I’ve had a few of those old tangs and they all shot well. I would lean towards optics/mounts first.

Mt Al

WKR
Had that happen and it was the scope - pinky swear. It only took me a few boxes of reloads to cypher that. Sent it back to Nikon, they sent me the next version of the old scope and I was a dead eye once again!

Just a thought

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
There always seem to be a logical answer after you find it. I suggest installing the scope, rings, bases, and or rail all over again. Then see if it does the same thing. If so I'd do it over again with a different scope.

I had a brand-new rifle for my wife (7-08) that was shooting horrible first day to range. I am pretty OCD when I mount scopes and rings and felt the issue was likely with the factory ammo I had selected. (groups seriously looked like a shotgun at 100 yards) Next trip to range with 3 other flavors of ammo; good stuff with premium bullets. Same results. Contemplating sending the rifle back to factory and the PIA that would likely require. I did a little digging and found some similar experiences and remedies on other , more hard-core shooting sites. One remedy happened to involve JB Bore Paste and some serious elbow grease. I figured I had nothing to lose so after 500 strokes and numerous patches back to the range I go. Rifle now shooting .75 inches with two of my ammo brands.
And no, I never messed with re-mounting the scope. (that probably makes me stubborn at the least and some might say foolish)

Had a 7 mm that was bad, not like that tho. Just had the barrel floated and redid the scope mount (with a new scope) to see if that cures my ills. Inherited Mod 70 so I have to get it right. We’ll see after I’m allowed to the range again.

bbell

WKR
Had something similar one time. My wife’s 7mm-08 would put two shots almost touching next one was 8” right. It was all over the board. Some how my actions screws had come loose. No idea how that happened. Thought I was good to go after tightening and was still having issues. Ended up with broke erectors, think thats what their called, in my scope. I don’t know what the odds of both things happening but it can’t be good. Pretty frustrating. So check the actions screws and your scope👍

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Couldn’t you also take a laser bore sighter and aim it at something reflective at 100 yards and see where your cross hairs are at? Thats what I used to do with my AR and it worked to get the scope close enough dead on.

Its weird how many are referring to a 7mm of some sort. Here is my 7mm before and after. I found that I had a headspace issue. Swapped it for a factory Remington takeoff and considerable improvement

Attachments

• 20160801_094900.jpg
    20160801_094900.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
M
Thanks for the ideas everybody. This is an 'inherited' rifle and not one that I am in dire need of making shoot... so, I'll put it back together sometime soon and try another scope on it. With everything torqued properly and a new scope, if it still sprays bullets... well? I really do like these old rugers, but am not that keen to dump a lot of money into it. We will see!

On a side note - rebarreling one of these old m77s - any suggestions? Was keen to try Pacnor... but I guess that's not happening. McGowen?

Marble

WKR
It is something catastrophic. Barrell or scope. A foot... that is huge. Make me think it may be unsafe.

Marble

WKR
Thanks for the ideas everybody. This is an 'inherited' rifle and not one that I am in dire need of making shoot... so, I'll put it back together sometime soon and try another scope on it. With everything torqued properly and a new scope, if it still sprays bullets... well? I really do like these old rugers, but am not that keen to dump a lot of money into it. We will see!

On a side note - rebarreling one of these old m77s - any suggestions? Was keen to try Pacnor... but I guess that's not happening. McGowen?
Find a trusted Smith and see what he prefers. Generally he will have a few favorites. It will also depend on what you expect the end result to be.

Barrel should be give or take, $300. Same with labor. They can also turn it with the exact dimensions if you want.

Tmac

WKR
Some Ruger’s I’ve had were very particular on having that angled stock bedding screw really tight, farmer tight. If you have not checked that, I would. If it was not real tight, tighten and shoot it again. That’s all I can add to the above suggestions. Good luck!

OP
M
Ya thanks tmac - was doing a little reading and sounds like the consensus for the front action screw is famer/railroad tight (tight as you can get it then 1/2 a turn more...)
The rifle looks to be professionally bedded - action and forend.... even if the stock warped and things are out of whack, I still don't think the gun would be shooting 15 inch groups... right? I think trying another scope is the best next move

Wapiti1

WKR
Start at the scope, rings and mounts (if it's a round top). I've never seen a barrel shoot that wildly. Most that have issues still shoot 3-4" groups. The ones that shot worst had muzzle damage.

Don't snug up the center screw that holds the front of the trigger guard very much. Just tight enough not to fall out. That one can pull the center of the action and warp it. You can take it out as well for a test. Do tighten the rear screw to 35-45 inch pounds.

To snug the front screw, tighten it, then bump the butt into the floor a couple of times. Not hard, just bump it to make sure the action is full rearward and the recoil lug is seated. Maybe a short drop of 2-3 inches. Then snug the screw again.

Jeremy

Wrench

WKR
I'd pull the scope from the rings and try a different one before I shot another round. Ruger rings can cause some binding which is why I would pull it from the rings before it lift the rifle....if it's bound up bad, it can cause grief.

The only other thing that I have seen cause that poor of accuracy is a badly damaged crown and shooting far too heavy for twist bullets.

Even the most cooked barrels will usually hang in the 3moa area.

Tmac

WKR
Ya thanks tmac - was doing a little reading and sounds like the consensus for the front action screw is famer/railroad tight (tight as you can get it then 1/2 a turn more...)
The rifle looks to be professionally bedded - action and forend.... even if the stock warped and things are out of whack, I still don't think the gun would be shooting 15 inch groups... right? I think trying another scope is the best next move

If you have checked the action screw, then yes, scope next. Mainly because it’s so easy to do. I doubt that screw is causing that much of an issue, but you just never know with rifles. I don’t recall the torque recommendation, may want to check that to avoid causing a stripped or broken screw.

Beendare

WKR
Poor accuracy?
You've never been to a Trad bow shoot have you? Grin

My old partner- RIP- had a rifle that scattered them all over the place. The problem was; Him....everyone else shot that rifle just fine and it drove him nuts.....

_____