Rear bag, what are you using?

OXN939

WKR
Sock filled with airsoft BBs. Squeeze to lower POI, press stock into it to elevate.

Yet1e

FNG
I use the Mk1 and the mk5 dimsim from LowVis Gear here in Australia. The Dim sim is small but ive found a heap of uses for it.

Short action precision lightweight or str8laced ultralight are the two I have. Ultralight is bigger and more useful but a couple ounces heavier.

Edit: that crosstac ultralight looks like a good option.

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
I have learned I need a much more substantial rear bag for a hunting magnum than I do for the 6mm or 6.5 pea shooters. I have been working on one for my hunting needs and testing prototypes now. Just about have it down. This could be another area where we need to pack a bit more weight to increase hit percentage, just like with our rifles.

JMO

Jeff

Last edited:
It really depends on what your shooting , how you shoot and where your shooting. For my chassis rigs I would say I usually use the 6 inch the most. Our 6.5's are more traditional type stocks where the 8 inch is the favorite. Lots of down hill shooting I prefer the 8 even on the chassis rig. If you can have someone help you measure where you like to set for rear height. Stuff a jacket or shirt or something under it until its the spot you usually like, then pull a measurement. Hope this helps

I use a lightweight bag filled with BB's just don't expect it to be as good as a sand sock that you use on the range. But, it's better than nothing, by far.

Thanks everyone for the input so far! Few good looking bags I hadnt heard of. Might just have to try a couple out!

TreyPound

FNG
IMHO the best for your needs would be a Protector #14 Leather Bunny Ear used with a Skip Otto Bag Stabilizer (Sinclair). Bunny ears so it can be used with stocks with a cheekpiece and also not allow your cheek to contact bag. Bag stabilizer because it is the best method to prevent bag moving under recoil. Leather because cordura can be problematic in keeping it clean and from gunking it up with sprays and waxes....a bit of Talcum at the start of the session and your GTG. Fill both with Regular play sand. Remove swivel studs or keep them behind the bag. Do not "nestle" the pistol grip in the bag ears, keep the bag ears between the pg and the swivel stud.

cowboy300

WKR
A great quick option in the field and something you are already carrying is to use your bino harness. Something along the lines of the alaska guide creations is perfect.

FURMAN

WKR
Going to bring an old thread back to life....
What crosstac bags do you prefer? Size? Change your mind and like something else?

Any opinions from anyone else?

Thanks!

I have switched to this. It is the best I have found after trying around $400-500 dollars worth. The lighter bags were giving vertical some times when in odd field positions.

I am looking forward to the one Broz has been playing with. I think he may be on to something.

ZG2avnPl.jpg

I have switched to this. It is the best I have found after trying around $400-500 dollars worth. The lighter bags were giving vertical some times when in odd field positions.

I am looking forward to the one Broz has been playing with. I think he may be on to something.

ZG2avnPl.jpg

Awesome thanks for the info! Will check it out as well.

I also would love to see what Broz has in the works!

davsco

WKR
synthetic hunting sock cut in half and filled with airsoft bb's.
this, with a stocking/legging inside the sock and the bb's inside the legging, just helps keep them from poking out of the sock. but, i have no plans to carry a rear bag while hunting, will just use my hand/fist or grab something out of my bag as needed. pack is heavy enough!