Reason for both 10x42 ELs and 12x50 ELs

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm out west in CO and hunt here in CO, AZ, NM, etc. I am curious if anyone has both the 10s and 12 ELs and uses both, or if its just redundant? Currently I have a pair of the newer 10x42 ELs and use those for both Archery and Rifle. I no longer use my swaro spotter in the field as its too much weight and takes up too much space packing in. I was going to get the 12s and tripod them along with them being on my chest for rifle season and also scouting pre archery season. For folks that have both, does one sit on the shelf over the other? My thinking was just use the 10s I have for Archery and only bring the 12s for rifle.

I also have a pair of the original Bushnell elite 8x43s that no longer are being used once I snagged up the swaro 10s but served me well the last 11 years. As most would probably say go 8s and then 12s for the best of everything. Just curious if I'm going to gain much in those 12s over the 10s? Not really interested in the 15 SLCs. Then they become tripod only and I'm not planning on taking two sets of binos on my rifle hunts.

Are the 12x ELs the ideal western rifle bino?

Thanks,

Goose2345

FNG
I’d say if you have the funds why not? Can’t ever have too many options I have 10x42 and 15x56 slc and I’m wanting a set of 12x50 els why I don’t know other then another option I guess so I say if ya got the cash grab them and try them even if ya don’t like them els will hold good value so it won’t be much of a loss

Brooks

WKR
I’ve had the 8.5x42 and the 10x42el’s over the years and now have the 12x50el ‘s and all I can say is they are top of the line. I have them in my bino harness for everything. If I ever took anything else other than my 12x50’s I would feel like I left my best tool home. That’s rifle or bow or anything.

I'd probably try the 10s on tripod 1st.
Do you think the 2x mag difference between the 8s and 10 is finding you more animal's?
I wouldn't think 2 x would help much on elk.
Maybe on deer.
I've thought about 12s for shed hunting. But I'm trying to pick a stick out of a pile of sticks.

I spent quite a bit of time this week with my 10x 42 els. I run them in a marsupial for all my hunts. I packed my tripod for evening scouting sessions for turkeys and they are phenominal. The tripod makes them unreal. I own 15x56 slc hds and seldom pack them any more. They are a very specific use glassing tool.
I thought of getting the 12x50s but feel the 10's are more versatile and hand held friendly.

OP
Jwknutson17

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the replies. I guess I really should give the 10s on a tripod a go first. Not in any rush to buy them, but I do have a line on a brand new pair with field pro package for 2350 to my door all said an done. Part of me says just snag em and if its not what I was hoping I can get my money back out.

I like to have options, but also don't like thousands and thousands of gear sitting. With the swaros at a discount, they seem to hold value for resell very well, and risk would be pretty low for taking a big loss if I didn't think they were an improvement.

WRO

WKR
If it were me, I would do 8x32 els and 12's if you want to pair, but I have been just running the 12's for the last 3 years and never feel wanting..