Reasonable scope for heavy recoil rifle

ScottinPA

WKR
I have a 358STA with a Vari-X 2.5-8x36 on it. Rifle with 3 rounds, sling, etc basically ready to hunt weight less than 7.5lbs. I want to upgrade the scope but want something that can withstand the recoil but not break the bank either. Short list: Zeiss V4 3-12x44; Burris Sig 3-15x44; Meopta Optik5 3-15x44; Maven CRS.1 3-12x40; Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10x40 4.5-14x40. Anybody run into issues with these on heavy recoil rifles? I'm also open to other suggestions. Thx

z987k

WKR
I've never had a scope have issues due to recoil.

But the consensus seems to be if you want a scope that doubles as a hammer without losing zero, nightforce.

I’d vote for Trijicon Credo or Tenmile. I’ve been very impressed with my 3-18 ffp, so much so that I ordered a 2nd one!

I've never had a scope have issues due to recoil.
Recoil and/or minor side impacts have killed many a scope. OP, have a look at the scope testing subforum in the Long Range forum. I'd recommend you check out the SWFA offerings. Won't break the bank and are reliable. The 3-15 and fixed 6x are currently in stock.

you have assembled a list of scopes that are extremely likely to fail due to heavy recoil and/or drops and/or bumpy roads.

Save yourself a bunch of hassle and $ by reading the scope testing subforum.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
I have on a 300 win and know of at least two others that have also. Given they weren't in the same price point as these but it still makes me a little nervous.

ResearchinStuff and MidGAHunter - thanks for the suggestions on the scope test subform. Didn't know that even existed. Not a forum I typically look at. Spent a few hours last night reading and still don't know what I want. Didn't know about the quality of SWFA scopes.

Jolley78MT - yeah if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I go back to this too. For 99% of my hunting, its fine though I think my eyes could use a little more magnification and it's not as bright as the newer scopes.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
After some research I’m leaning toward Trijicon Accupoint or NF SHV. Still researching…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurooptic is blowing out some trijicon's pretty cheap right now, particularly the tenmile and credo second focal plane versions. I snagged a credo 1-4 for an inline muzzleloader.

wyosteve

WKR
I have a Leupold 1.5x5 and 2.5x8 on my .375 H&H's, a Swaro 3-10 on my .338 and Leupold 1.25x4 on my .45-70. All have been fine.

Not sure what you consider heavy recoil but I have Leupold VX3i on 7RM and Leupold VX3 HD on 300WM. Also Leupold VX III on .308. All 4.5-14 x 40. I don’t abuse my rifles but they are in no way babied. I’ve never had a problem with the Leupolds due to recoil or anything else. Apparently I’m one of the few. They’ve been to Wyoming, Montana and Canada but mostly in Mississippi. Not doubting the other recommendations or their quality but I’m sticking with what has served me well.