Reasonable Starting camera for filming

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I have gained a big interest in filming our hunts this year, and looking for a good starter camera. To give some insight, I did a little bit of filming last year with my phone, and put together a video and it turned out "ok" what I really learned was, I just needed way more footage, cuz I had to piece together almost every little clip I had, to make it work...
Anyways, this year I am looking into a mirrorless camera with a few lenses, but not wanting to spend over 1,000$ since I want to make sure I will get my usage out of it. I am usually on a hunt every weekend from Sept 1- the end of Nov, with a few full weeks in there as well.

I would try to keep using my phone, but my concern is that to get the amount of footage I want, my battery will drain to rapidly and storage will be an issue.

Was looking into a sony A6000 or A6100 for now. Then eventually upgrade to the A7S3 in the future, since I believe the lenses are interchangeable, I could upgrade lenses and next year or the following I can upgrade bodies.
How is the quality in the A6000 or A6100? Usability? Overall a good camera for the money? (With 16-50 lens and 55-210 for around 600 bucks)
My photography/video knowledge and skills are barely above zero, but I've been soaking in as many YouTube videos as I can in my spare time to learn what I can.
I have already purchased a mic (that I can use for my phone too) as well as memory cards, and will buy extra batteries, and accessories as needed.

I can borrow my sisters old Canon rebel T3, but playing with it, I'm not too fond of it personally, and it seems the A6xxx would be a better bet (size, weight functions etc)

What else am I not thinking about, or will wish I'd have done differently? I wish I could "cry once" and bite the bullet for the A7S3, but I just can't swing it right now unless I sell my BTX, which I don't want to do! Especially as this is just a new hobby that I want to see where it goes.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Your game plan seems the right path to go as the A7S3 is a superb camera. You should be able to get the 6000 or 6100 used at reasonable prices as Sony stopped making both of them the middle of last year due to chip shortage issues. As you buy glass make sure you buy full frame glass, not crop sensor as you want to be able to use them once you upgrade
Feel free to contact me with any questions

OP
fulltiltaudio

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome glad to hear, would I be better off spending just a touch more and getting the A72 right now vs the 6xxx?

hjyeatts

FNG
I have gained a big interest in filming our hunts this year, and looking for a good starter camera. To give some insight, I did a little bit of filming last year with my phone, and put together a video and it turned out "ok" what I really learned was, I just needed way more footage, cuz I had to piece together almost every little clip I had, to make it work...
Anyways, this year I am looking into a mirrorless camera with a few lenses, but not wanting to spend over 1,000$ since I want to make sure I will get my usage out of it. I am usually on a hunt every weekend from Sept 1- the end of Nov, with a few full weeks in there as well.

I would try to keep using my phone, but my concern is that to get the amount of footage I want, my battery will drain to rapidly and storage will be an issue.

Was looking into a sony A6000 or A6100 for now. Then eventually upgrade to the A7S3 in the future, since I believe the lenses are interchangeable, I could upgrade lenses and next year or the following I can upgrade bodies.
How is the quality in the A6000 or A6100? Usability? Overall a good camera for the money? (With 16-50 lens and 55-210 for around 600 bucks)
My photography/video knowledge and skills are barely above zero, but I've been soaking in as many YouTube videos as I can in my spare time to learn what I can.
I have already purchased a mic (that I can use for my phone too) as well as memory cards, and will buy extra batteries, and accessories as needed.

I can borrow my sisters old Canon rebel T3, but playing with it, I'm not too fond of it personally, and it seems the A6xxx would be a better bet (size, weight functions etc)

What else am I not thinking about, or will wish I'd have done differently? I wish I could "cry once" and bite the bullet for the A7S3, but I just can't swing it right now unless I sell my BTX, which I don't want to do! Especially as this is just a new hobby that I want to see where it goes.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

I’m having good luck out of my a6500. Been a good camera for me.