Reasonably Priced 20* Down Bag

IdahoHntr

WKR
I second the slumberjack Downwind 20. First year with mine, took it down to right around 20 degrees and never got cold. Super lightweight and packable especially for the price. Less than a $100 for a down bag can’t be beat in my opinion. I have noticed though that neither of their downwind bags have been in stock for the last few weeks, but if it’s not a hurry I imagine they should have some more before next fall.

I bought a Marmot Radium 20 bag two seasons ago and have used it down to freezing temps. I've stayed warm wearing base layers with snow falling outside my tent and I'm a cold sleeper. For a sub-$200 bag (on sale), I have no complaints.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I would also recommend you look for a used bag that was top of the line a few years ago. I just sold a North Face Hot tamale 15deg to a guy for $80. It had good loft and plenty of life left. If you want new have you looked at outdoor vitals or hyke and byke? They appear to have budget bags with great specs. I’m personally going to buy a sierra designs backcountry bed when the new model comes out. I can’t stand to be pinned in a zippered mummy and don’t want to fool with a quilt. Their Cloud 800/20 zipperless is nice also

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good replies here. The more I think about it, the more I believe that used (but not too used) is the way to most to go for a down bag. Even used, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends bags are never going to be budget options, but high end models from other reputable makers (Marmot, Mountain Hardwear) should be well in reach for most budgets. But I would err on the side of too large as far as sizing goes if buying used, since returns wouldn't be an option.

snel6424

FNG
I have the kelty Cosmic 20 and its great for the price, but I think I would try to not use it below 30 degrees. I start to get cold in it if the temps drop below that. But of course, using a high R rating sleeping pad also helps

rootacres

WKR
When I went down this road I went with the Mountain Hardware. I’ve used it a handful of times. The lowest temps I went were low 20s and stayed plenty warm. Any questions let me know. I am going to be staying in warmer temps the next couple years so I wanted to try a quilt.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I have both alps and Kelty 20 degree down bags. Alps packs quite a bit smaller but the Kelty is definitely warmer. I have slept in both of them below 30 several times and I’ve been happy with both. I’ll take the Kelty every time if space isn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Lots of good replies here. The more I think about it, the more I believe that used (but not too used) is the way to most to go for a down bag. Even used, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends bags are never going to be budget options, but high end models from other reputable makers (Marmot, Mountain Hardwear) should be well in reach for most budgets. But I would err on the side of too large as far as sizing goes if buying used, since returns wouldn't be an option.
You can find 600 fill down bags that are pretty warm and fairly inexpensive on ebay or other places that list used. The only penalty will be bulk and minimal weight. I got a MH 600 fill -15 bag for under $150 shipped, it is a pretty nice bag but I have never had it below 20. Plenty warm and some nice features. Sierra Designs and Nemo are also brands to consider.

I'm sure this has been discussed 100 times but I scrolled a few pages and didn't see much.

I'm looking for a 20* down bag to use in September/October and then pair it with a 50* quilt as the temps drop in Late October/November.

What are some good options out there that don't cost $800?

I sleep outside, on the ground and next to a hot burning stove quite a bit and I just can't see myself spending $800 on something I'm going to abuse.
I actually just decided a few days ago to sell my Big Agnes Torchlight UL 20 down bag. It is the long version, and I've only slept in it a few times. Perfect condition. Let me know if you're interested. $250 TYD

FLS

WKR
I bought a Marmot Helium and added a BA. Wedgieto add some wiggle room. It’s a nice warm bag.

grfox92

WKR
Marmot Trestles 15 is an absolutely bomb proof and warm bag. At $85 it's a steal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk