Reasonably Priced 20* Down Bag

Mtnboy

WKR
I'm sure this has been discussed 100 times but I scrolled a few pages and didn't see much.

I'm looking for a 20* down bag to use in September/October and then pair it with a 50* quilt as the temps drop in Late October/November.

What are some good options out there that don't cost $800?

I sleep outside, on the ground and next to a hot burning stove quite a bit and I just can't see myself spending $800 on something I'm going to abuse.

Lando

WKR
Personally, I'd keep an eye out for a used Marmot bag if I were looking to get the best bang for my buck. Another option is the chinese import companies like Outdoor Vitals, Hyke and Byke etc, but I've seen more than a few reviews with pictures showing down lacking in some of those bags, which is why I would be looking for a used marmot.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Of course it all depends on what your expectations are for a reasonable price. Sierra Designs down bags are relatively inexpensive, usually available for around $200 or a little more. They're made with 800 fill water resistant down.

A great option would be a lightly used 800-fill Marmot bag like the Helium. I have a 15 year old Marmot bag that is still going strong and I think they are great.

Not sure if you're interested in quilts but there are some nice lower priced options there as well.

The Kelty bags are nothing fancy but people use them all the time without freezing to death.

• Banned
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
I have a 10deg quilt that I still plan to use from time to time but I need a decent bag to supplement as needed and for later in the year.

I'm definitely gonna keep my eyes out for a deal on a Helium, I almost bought one years ago and had forgotten about them a little.

Thanks for the tips! Any other good options?

Rodéo

WKR
I have more than a few seasons experience with the marmot sawtooth 15 degree. I'd trust it to keep me warm with baselayers on down to 20 degrees or so. Can be had for around $200 and it's been very durable for me over the years. It's a good buy imo

*zap*

WKR

rclouse79

WKR
Another vote for the Kelty cosmic down. Got one for my son and am impressed with it.

JRMiller

WKR
Marmot is having a %30 offeverything sale on its site till the 12/7.
You can get a Sawtooth 15f for $179.
Or a Never Winter 0f for $210.
Those are steals for a Marmot.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stone Glacier's Chilkoot 15 is definitely worth a look! It's become our favorite sleeping bag.

zacattack

WKR
I'm sure this has been discussed 100 times but I scrolled a few pages and didn't see much.

I'm looking for a 20* down bag to use in September/October and then pair it with a 50* quilt as the temps drop in Late October/November.

What are some good options out there that don't cost $800?

I sleep outside, on the ground and next to a hot burning stove quite a bit and I just can't see myself spending $800 on something I'm going to abuse.

Are you opposed to buying used? There are some fantastic deals on the high end down bags if you look on classified or some of the FB camping/hiking groups

A third vote for the kelty cosmic down. So far I have used it for 3 hunts with temperatures down to the lower 30s. Tent camping with a sleeping mat and no heat source and have been very warm. It has also been washed and zero issues with the down.

I simplified my system and just got a 20º down quilt that's convertible.

Works great from 90º as a blanket down to the teens as a bag. Any lower I put base layers on and get another 10-20º out of it.

grfox92

WKR
REI Lumen 20 is less than $200 and I've slept in it in 5 degree temps on a Nemo insulated pad. I wore my merino base layers, fleece lined hiking pants and my puffy jacket and was very comfortable.

I'm surprised this bag doesn't get more attention.

Edit, looks like they stopped making this bag.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Even the best 20deg bags like WM and FF or Nunatak don't cost $800. Now, if you had said 0deg bags... that would be different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Even the best 20deg bags like WM and FF or Nunatak don't cost $800. Now, if you had said 0deg bags... that would be different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My bad, I guess a Mod better delete the thread before my misinformation spreads....

Diamond K

FNG
We have Slumberjack bags the we use in base camp. They are not down but they are affordable and keep you very comfortable. Ours are the Wheeler Lake model which is no longer available. The Ronin or Boundary would do the trick for you.

Last edited: