Reasonably Priced Used SUV

treillw

WKR
I'd like to get a new SUV before my old Grand Cherokee takes a dump on me. Not having much luck finding anything I want to pay for though.

I really like the 4 door Rubicons, but the ones I'm seeing for sale cost as much or more now than they did five years ago. Seems like the prices on vehicles are just totally out of hand. I'm selectively cheap - there are plenty of things I'll spend way too much money on, but I can't fathom $60k for a vehicle. Approaching $30k seems excessive to me as well.

I paid $2800 for the Grand Cherokee five years ago and had to do 4 or 5 small maintenance things to it - all on my own for minimal parts cost. That being said, the troubleshooting an finding time to do it was a pain. Worth $27,000 to $57,000? You bet! It's great to beat around the woods and not care about it too much as well.

Anyway, what would be a good, off road worthy, reliable replacement? The SUV needs to have 4 wheel drive and be able to be chained up for some off road adventures. I'd probably like to stay away from getting another truck - like the diversity in vehicles. Each type has some benefits.

Thanks!

tdhanses

WKR
Considering used 1 year old vehicles are selling above msrp you kinda looking to buy at the worst time there probably has ever been to buy, you will not find a cheap suv as in prices from a few years ago.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I mean no offense, but given the title of your thread, you must have been living under a rock for the past 12-18 months.

There is no such thing as a reasonably priced used vehicle these days. At least any you'd want to own.

If you search often and cast a wide net, you might get lucky, but that is such a long shot unless you have the luxury of forever to look.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. Another POV but said differently. LINKY

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you have a functional vehicle keep it. Absolutely zero reason to jump into the market right now. It might take 6 months, it might take a year, but every month will be better starting in October.

JRMiller

WKR
Yep. Between chip shortages on new cars, extremely low used car inventory, stimulus checks going to down payments etc etc it couldnt be a worse time to buy a new or used car right now. Im regularly seeing new trucks at $10k over sticker and old turds that belong in a junk yard being sold as “solid” vehicles.
Soemone offered me $8k for my 2006 explorer (that i was not selling) that i paid $5k for five years ago.
I’d drive the wheels off that cherokee

Carlin59

WKR
I purchased a 2005 Xterra in 2011, and have been very happy with it over the 100k miles I’ve put on it as a hunting rig in the last ten years. Nothing flashy, but I prefer it that way. Prices aren’t as outrageous as 4Runners or Jeep Wranglers, but still have gone up in the last year (like everything else). Stout V6, and body-on-frame with solid rear axle. The Pro4x package came with a rear locker on (I believe) Dana 44. I fantasize daily about getting a new truck, but every month I hold off is money in the bank.

I’ve always fantasized about owning a Land Cruiser. Not a new $100,000+ one, but an older one like a fj55. Man, those things are built like tanks, and go forever. Who knows, maybe some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
If you can, wait. Multiple articles are calling for a used vehicle price drop in the not too distant future. Coming from a Jeep myself, they always fetch a good number, especially a Rubicon.

I haunt Craigslist pretty frequently and still see a lot of good deals on older Grand Cherokees. They still seem to have never gained the popularity of other old Jeeps despite having better interiors and superior suspension and brake components among other things. If you like them, just get another one until the used auto market cools down.

The moped and minibike market is looking pretty good these days. Saw a couple steals on the used, sub-50 cc list. Sucks in bad weather and hauling groceries though.

dtrkyman

WKR
My 2013 grand Cherokee has been good, I took out the rake and upped tire size. Not much room for chains but I believe there are some made for it with stock tires.

Mine has an off road package with low range and skids.

Look online, lots of vehicles

Titan_Bow

WKR
I hit a deer and totaled my 2012 Xterra last November. When I was trying to replace it, prices for Xterra back then were already higher than I wanted to pay. I ended up picking up a brand new 4RUNNER in Dec/Jan. and in hindsight really glad I did. I paid well under MSRP plus the larger than expected payout from my Xterra so got a really good deal. Now you can’t even find a new 4Runner and used ones are going for more than msrp. I have had phone calls from local dealers offering to buy mine.
Like others have said, not a good time to buy unless you know someone whose selling and willing to give you a deal.

Considering used 1 year old vehicles are selling above msrp you kinda looking to buy at the worst time there probably has ever been to buy, you will not find a cheap suv as in prices from a few years ago.
Yep terrible time to buy. I have a Jeep Rubicon and I could sell it for what I bought it for or more, crazy market. But maybe that is also a reason to pay a higher price for a Jeep -- because they hold their value a little better

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I take excellent care of my vehicle, and it's a good thing, it's stupid how much over MRSP they are asking. I mean I want over to a few Dif. dealers with the intent of coming home with a new Yukon XL. Good thing I take excellent care of my vehicles. No fricking way will I take it up my shorts.

bobr1

WKR
Depends on what features you want and how old. I have a 2000 land cruiser and love it, only has about 120k miles so barely broken in. I’m a fan of older Toyota’s, built really well and rarely have major problems and can last a long time. Have used it on all my hunts as well. If your sticking to SUV the land cruiser and 4Runner are hard to beat. They both also have a huge aftermarket so getting gear for them is easy.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 2016 4runner, recently sold it and picked up a 2017 GX460. Same platform Toyota/Lexus. Already have taken it on some rough muddy scouting trips.

It May get laughed at but check out the Subaru outback wilderness, it has 9.5in of ground clearance(more than a lot of SUVs), will hold its value, get decent fuel economy and will easily run 250k+ miles. Wife and I fit hunting camp, canoe and 2 caribou in our outback when the truck took a dump the day before hunting season. They are extremely capable and dependable, there is a reason they are the most popular car in Alaska by a wide margin.