Rebarrel a 308win to what cartridge?

What am I missing about the 7Saw? Just looking at it quickly it seems like the shoulder is pushed back and powder capacity decreased. Main benefit is that can be done on a press, with a die, vs. Pushing the shoulder forward via fire forming with the AI. Is there a performance increase that I'm not seeing?
My take on it people run it to higher pressure with that shoulder pushed back. That’s the only way they can get the increased speed.

Can you fit a 284 based cartridge in an 84M action, with enough space to make it worthwhile? I don't know the box length on those, but it seems across the board the 284 is better suited to an XM or LA box.
Yes you can. Though not ideal with long high BC bullets. Based on what I saw the 84M has about 2.84” mag well and the 284 win case is 2.17” long which is longer than the wsm line so that’s why I suggest a 308 or 338 bore with light for caliber bullets. The shorter bullet will fit in the long case and short action. And generate velocity

I'm actually in load development with the 124's right now. If I'm happy with them, then I'm more likely to keep the gun as is.

May have to try the 151 Absolute Hammers too. That might make all the difference. But I was never able to get the 152HH to shoot well or anywhere near some other reported loads.
How long is your barrel? And what velocity are you getting from the 124?

OP
T

tdot

WKR
How long is your barrel? And what velocity are you getting from the 124?

I stopped working on this load a few months ago, so I might not have the numbers 100% correct. But it should be a 23" barrel at roughly 3150fps to 3200fps. I haven't yet shot groups.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Why not just leave it 308? Ticks all your boxes without any drama.
That may just be the answer. But I'm always happy to learn, so just checking to see if I'm missing something.

TauPhi111

WKR
lapua brass
win std primer
152 hammer
50.5gr cfe223 (from my memory not sure, at work)

I'm done chasing wildcats for 2% more performance
Sage advice in that last line there. I have a 260 AI that is a great rifle, but god damn is fireforming brass a pain in the ass. One day I will likely just rechamber it to 6.5 PRC. With today's multitude of cartridges, it's almost impossible to not find a SAAMI cartridge that suits your needs.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to upgrade a 308 Winchester buy a better barrel and have it reamed in 308 Winchester 😂

AkRyan

WKR
Keep it 308. Don't go with something you can't buy ammo for like the 284(they tell you to do it because they haven't yet) I'm a huge fan of the 7-08 but ammo is scarce.