Rebarrel recommendations?

Zoso5150

WKR
I have a 90’s Ruger M77 Mk II in .30-06 with the zytel “skeleton” stock that has just never shot that well and considering a new barrell, and caliber (.270?) since I already have a .308.

Anyone have recommendations on where to find a drop-in replacement? Im in the Portland OR area if anyone could also recommend a reputable ‘smith.

I'd give Shaen Magan @ Shaen Rifles a call - he does fantastic work and really quick turn-around on his work. Think he also posts here as Shooter71??

For finding a barrel I usually suggest checking Bugholes.com for their inventory but finding a in stock barrel right now is tough, especially one in .270. If you are open to other calibers you might have better luck finding a barrel.

cmahoney

WKR
I’d get rid of that Tupperware stock. That’s probably part of your accuracy problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d get rid of that Tupperware stock. That’s probably part of your accuracy problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those stocks where actually pretty stout and not like your typical plastic stock.

OP - if you did decide to upgrade and sell your old one I see them posted on occasion and they seem to sell pretty quick. But if you are good with it I'd keep it - kinda cool IMHO. And a good smith could probably open it up a bit if needed for a custom barrel.

A barrell with roughly the same contour as the original so any modifications to the stock are minimal to none.

I’ll try bugholes.com as suggested.
If you aren't 100% set on a .270 - any chance you might go .280 Rem?? Or even .280AI?? If so this would be the ticket (y) The Bartein 2b contour is probably pretty similar to your factory tube.

wildcat33

WKR
A barrell with roughly the same contour as the original so any modifications to the stock are minimal to none.

I’ll try bugholes.com as suggested.

I havent used McGowen but others on here seems to generally like them. They have a lot of contours available. The smallest contour you will find on bugholes in stock is Bart 2B, which may or not may not fit. Good barrel though.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I've rebarreled a few mkII's some myself and some I sent to gunsmiths before I bought the tools to do it myself. Honestly I wouldn't spend the money on a top shelf barrel to put onto a ruger mark II. Do still have one in 35 Whelen Imp. It shoots well enough to take game but it is far from the consistency I get from other actions.

I've used lots of mcgowen barrels, in fact I just put one on an XP last week. Haven't shot it yet but I bet it'll hammer out little groups.

I have no idea how he does on rebarrel but I used this guy to fit a 1911 safety, and completely re cera coat a rem 700 and paint the stock.

Everything turned out great and was done when he said.
20211017_174128.jpg20211017_174119.jpg

Big Ern

WKR
Get a mcmillan or manners stock

barrel: bartlein, krieger, hawk hill, or proof (if want cf).

send to reputable gunsmith ie LRI, Beanland, Spartan, GAP, or any of thebother great smiths out there.

Also, get a high quality trigger ie triggertech, timney, etc. and set it under 3 lbs.

accuracy will improve substantially.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I'd probably sell it to someone who wants the gun since they're becoming quite desirable then just buy something else.

Tmac

WKR
I'd probably sell it to someone who wants the gun since they're becoming quite desirable then just buy something else.
My thought as well. I know of a number of folks that buy them every chance they get. So if you are not emotionally attached to it, selling may be a good option if you can find what you want in stock.

Dhbwa

WKR
I'd give Shaen Magan @ Shaen Rifles a call - he does fantastic work and really quick turn-around on his work. Think he also posts here as Shooter71??

For finding a barrel I usually suggest checking Bugholes.com for their inventory but finding a in stock barrel right now is tough, especially one in .270. If you are open to other calibers you might have better luck finding a barrel.
+1

TN VOL

FNG
Check out oregunsmithingllc.com. I’ve used them for a custom stock build and was very happy with their products and customer service. I’ve used Hart barrels for years of competition national match shooting and I wouldn’t chose any other.