rebarreling 243 to 7mm08 worth it?

first post but long time lurker, good to be aboard!

i am contemplating having my winchester model 70 featherweight (243 win) rebarreled to a 18” 7mm08. my understanding is the 243 to 7mm08 swap should be as simple as just the barrel swap? need to track down a decent smith in my area but trying to get a rough estimate to see if it’s worth doing or just keeping my eye out for a model 7 to pop up.

have 2 .243’s that don’t see as much action as they’d probably like. thinking i can make this my pa timber rifle. i hunt with a 280 ackley, sometimes 280 rem but both aren’t compact enough for sneaking through the thick lural and timber our area presents. my wife has a 7mm08 (model 70 featherweight) that has simply impressed the heck out of me with its performance. having all the reloading gear i just need someone to convince me i’m not crazy on turning my pretty little 243 into a 7mm timber gun!

thinking a realistic cost for the barrel swap would be $500-700?

Unless you want to go carbon I think $500 should be very doable. I just ordered a barrel for a savage and prices were consistently in the $300-$400 range for stainless. And lots of people have been saying the smith bill should be no more than $80-100 for a project that simple

Unless you want to go carbon I think $500 should be very doable. I just ordered a barrel for a savage and prices were consistently in the $300-$400 range for stainless. And lots of people have been saying the smith bill should be no more than $80-100 for a project that simple
I’m going from .270 to 25-06. So basically your same situation just in a long action

I’m in the same boat as you with my kimber montana. I already have a factory 7mm-08 barrel stashed away, but haven’t committed to the swap yet since the 243 shoots so good. If you have a couple 243’s already I’d say go for it. Maybe save some $$ and look for a factory takeoff barrel if it’s going to be a timber rifle. A factory tube should be plenty accurate to 250-300yds.

OP
P
thanks, thinking the same thing. dont necessarily need a top notch barrel but at the end of the day the slight increase will be peace of mind if nothing else. 21 years of hunting the area and furthest rifle shot was 115 yards here, most coming 35-75 yards so top notch accuracy isn’t a premium concern but certainly would like the ability to punch small groups.

carried a buddies model 7 out last year while he was dragging his buck and the ease of getting through the woods was amazing in comprarison to the ackley with a muzzle break. figured a 18” barrel would really handle much nicer and then keep the 280’s for stand hunting and out west trips

SDHNTR

WKR
Assuming this is not a pre 64 M70, sounds like a good plan. Have your receiver trued up and lugs lapped while you are at it. Should be about $300-350 for a good barrel, $300 for the chambering and action truing. I’ve used Pac-Nor for such work with good results.

@JPeters218 -
HAHAHA! I am of thinking taking my 25-06 1st Gen Sendero to .270 in carbon!
LOL!

J
Lol. I don’t even have the gun yet. Just buying it for the purpose of swapping the barrel. I have a 30-06 and wanted something lighter and faster for deer and antelope

slvrslngr

WKR
Here’s another option. Send your 243 to JES for a rebore to 358Win. For the hunting you describe, the 358 would be fantastic.

IMHO, I would just put the money towards the gun you really want. Re-barreling is expensive and about 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of a new rifle....

Example A above. lol Its hadly worth it. In that case, not worth it at all if your willing to shoot a Ruger.

Zappaman

WKR
IMHO, I would just put the money towards the gun you really want. Re-barreling is expensive and about 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of a new rifle....
That's why I love my savages (and barrel vice ;) Back a few years ago Numrich had a LOT of stainless OEM barrels (at about $100 each- some in 24"- NICE barrels) and I snagged a couple then. Those days are over now I know, but it's great to know for a hunting gun, that I'm covered for a long while.

I agree, buy a new rifle for the same money. I recently snagged a Weathergaurd Vangard in a 7mm RemMag for under $600 and it comes with a 1moa guarantee. A touch heavy for hard mountain hopping, but also a 24" barrel (and even the bold face is cerakoted!)

OP
P
thanks for all the reply’s. Agree i could purchase a more entry level rifle for the same price as rebarreling which i knew going into this. really like the layout of the 70 featherweight figured getting a shortened barrel on it and in a 7mm08 would get her back in the woods. also saves me from buying another scope.

also really like the 358 win and want one in the collection - but having 08 brass and a large stockpile of 7mm bullets figured the practical tactic would be going 7mm08

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
thanks for all the reply’s. Agree i could purchase a more entry level rifle for the same price as rebarreling which i knew going into this. really like the layout of the 70 featherweight figured getting a shortened barrel on it and in a 7mm08 would get her back in the woods. also saves me from buying another scope.

also really like the 358 win and want one in the collection - but having 08 brass and a large stockpile of 7mm bullets figured the practical tactic would be going 7mm08

IMO you just CAN’T go wrong with a 7mm08. Pretty much ever.