Rebarreling a Win model 70

robtattoo

WKR
Im on the look out for a cheap donor action (i'm really looking for a Rem 700) to rebuild into a 6.5x55. Purely as a 'classier' upgrade to my Savage Axis.
A guy local to me has offered me a post 64, push feed Win 70 in .270 for a really attractive price.

Do any of you have experience with rebarreling a mod 70? Anything I need to be aware of that's significantly different than a rem?

Chances are I'll end up shipping the action off to ER Shaw to have the work done & the price seems attractive enough, but i'm not 100% that i'd not rather hold out for a Remington.

Opinions?
Thoughts?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Can’t get more “classic” than a .270 M70...just get a proper pre 64!

OXN939

WKR
Im on the look out for a cheap donor action (i'm really looking for a Rem 700) to rebuild into a 6.5x55. Purely as a 'classier' upgrade to my Savage Axis.
A guy local to me has offered me a post 64, push feed Win 70 in .270 for a really attractive price.

Do any of you have experience with rebarreling a mod 70? Anything I need to be aware of that's significantly different than a rem?

Chances are I'll end up shipping the action off to ER Shaw to have the work done & the price seems attractive enough, but i'm not 100% that i'd not rather hold out for a Remington.

Opinions?
Thoughts?

Man I was just playing with a very similar rifle to what you're describing last week... those things are super solid and probably one of the best values in the world of rifles. All dude man did was put a decent stock on it, and it was a great shooter. That original Mod 70 trigger is honestly, to me, indistinguishable from any of the several hundred dollar aftermarket triggers available these days when tuned right

If I were to do a 6.5x55 on a budget I’d find a cheap stainless tikka and get a proof prefit factory contour barrel. Been thinking about that for a while now.

I like your idea and there is NOTHING wrong with the push feed Model 70 actions. My father had one in 7mm Remington and it shot very well and he sure killed a lot of game with it. I found a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter with a wood stock in 270 that was my donor for my build. I had a new barrel chambered in 280AI put on it and I love that thing. It's an awesome shooter. I think you will enjoy it very much. Having the 270 length action will also let you seat bullets out there and they won't be infringing on the case powder capacity. I would say YES get it and make yourself a great rifle. Love the chambering you are going for too. In the new action you will be able to load it like it should be also.

I think rebarreling a pushfeed m70 is pretty straight forward (from what I have read at least). Added benefit is the 3 position safety, which is nice when you need to unload a gun.
When I pulled the 270 barrel off I posted it on a site just like this and gave it to a fellow who was looking to have a 270 barrel put on a Winchester action that he had. Worked perfectly for him.

I also have the same 270 I want to rebarrel to 280ai. I'm just concerned about the weight. I would like it to be a light weight mountain rifle.

Summit1

FNG
Bartlein has my post 64 .308 right now. They're putting a carbon 7mm 1-9 22" barrel on it and I'm having my gunsmith set it up for .284 Winchester. I cant wait to put some rounds through it. Brad

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
The push feed M 70 are very accurate and very straight forward as far as re-barreling it. I had one build by Phoenix Custom Rifles in Tempe that shot .3 average.

The M70 push feed are a great action and easy to rebarrel. Awesome factory trigger also.
For a lightweight stock for a M70 McMillan inlets a number of stocks for M70. Go edge fill to save some weight Also.

MeatBuck

WKR
I put a 1-8” twist, 26” #6 on mine.
Love the trigger on it, wouldn’t have built the action if it weren’t for that easy squeeze. The only one I’ve shot consistently for the past 18yrs or so. Other triggers seem shotgun-like when compared to it. Did a lighter spring I think was only mod.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
If you are trying to keep the weight as low as possible what would be the best stock for the M70?
Depends on budget. If money is no issue, call Brown Precision and see how light they can make one for you. If you have them make you a drop-in, it’s going to probably be significantly more expensive than a Manners or McMillan. However, if this is truly a super light endeavor, an M70 puts you at a weight disadvantage off the bat compared to other actions. A McMillan Compact Edge is a reasonable cost/weight intersection for a lot of guys. A blind mag setup in that stock for your M70 wouldn’t be a bad place to end up.

Wapiti1

WKR
Absolute lightest stock is a T-bar style. Look up Extreme Rifle Works. They do great work.

Jeremy