Rebore/chamber a Ruger 77 RL from 243 Win to 260 Rem

Anyone have any recommendations for a smith that could do this for me? I've posted this on other forums and got a few leads, but most of those I've contacted had a very cavalier attitude and didn't seem interested in doing the job as I want it. It's mostly been, " no, not what you want. I'll do it this way, for this price. Take it or leave it."
Anyone have any positive personal experiences with someone they'd be willing to recommend? Thanks

OP
eaglemountainman
Thanks for the intelligent reply.

If you have an alternative suggestion, why don't you offer it up intelligently with reasons explaining why it might be a better option. To come on here and make condescending remarks is just being a jackass.

Last edited:
The issue is that they may be too close in bore diameter to rebore. If anyone can do it, it would be JES in Oregon. I’d give them a call and see if he’s up to the task, but it may not be possible. Also the barrel may need to be set back to clean up the chamber. Without looking at the reamer prints I don’t know what case dimensions change aside from the bore.

OP
eaglemountainman
The issue is that they may be too close in bore diameter to rebore. If anyone can do it, it would be JES in Oregon. I’d give them a call and see if he’s up to the task, but it may not be possible. Also the barrel may need to be set back to clean up the chamber. Without looking at the reamer prints I don’t know what case dimensions change aside from the bore.
Thanks pighunter. Jes only works with mid 30s cal rebores. Many have tried to persuade him to work in smaller diameters but he won't.
I corresponded with two guys who will rebore from 243 to 260, but we couldn't agree on some of the smaller, finer details of the job that are important to me, even though I'm willing to pay a premium.

If you’re wanting it done to your exact specifications you’d be money, time and aggravation ahead to rebarrel.

As a bonus, you’ll have your factory barrel to return to should the need or desire ever arise.

The other one that comes to mind is Cut Rifle in AZ? I think they can rebore, but for the price you are better off with a new barrel, unless the barrel you already have is super custom or sentimental?

Mcgowen is one of the affordable custom barrel makers that will do the full service and send back the original.

Out of curiosity what is your hang up with the other gunsmiths? Sounds like you want something particular? May not make sense? Looks like you asked this same question in the summer for 7-08....