Rebuild TC Encore or start fresh?

adiecidue

FNG
Drew a Colorado Muzzy elk tag for this season and am looking at a few options.

Originally I was going to borrow a friends muzzleloader that is setup for Colorado and already shoots lights out. Pretty simple...BUT

I also enjoy the process of setting up a new setup and learning in the process. I currently have a TC Encore Pro Hunter that was my Dads favorite gun. He has since passed and it’s been my go to gun for deer season instead of shooting my rifle for the last 2 years. It’s currently sighted in with a scope, shooting triple seven pellets and Hornady SST sabots. This obviously won’t work for Colorado.

I need to change out the scope on the gun anyways so taking it off and adding open sights for Colorado is not a big deal to me. My main concern however is getting an accurate shooting conical out of the Encore with the QLA issues. I know guys have done it and I probably need to shoot it to test how a variety of loads shoot.

I suppose my main question would be is it WORTH, going through the effort of changing the setup for Colorado with the possibility of it never shooting conical as accurate. What setups have been the best historically with the Encores? I’ve seen very mixed things will doing searches on the forum and online.

Or would the idea of buying an Optima V2 or Accura and building a Colorado build be a better long term plan. I love muzzleloader hunting and I’m sure this won’t be the last time I do a western muzzy hunt.

In the end, If I don’t do a build, the borrowed gun is always a backup. But let’s get real, we all need an excuse to buy a new gun!