Rebuilding a Ruger?

OK_hunter

FNG
I have a Ruger m77 mark II in 7mm rem mag. I got this gun 16 years ago and the accuracy was great for years with nickel size groups at 100 yards with the right load. I transitioned to mostly archery hunting about 8 years ago, but still got it out to shoot every year even if I didn't hunt with a gun. Over that time the group's just started opening up. Last year I planned to take the gun on an elk trip but I could get any load to shoot better than 3 inch groups from the bench at 100 yards. I am pretty sure the barrel is shot out. I did a deep clean and stripped all the copper out last summer and it made no difference.

My question is: Is it worth it to put a new barrel on the Ruger action? If I do the new barrel I will probably get a new light weight stock. Would it be better to just buy a Tikka in terms of price and expected accuracy vs the rebuild? If the rebuild is done would I have a higher quality rifle than the Tikka for about the same price?

Opinions will obviously vary.... That being said, for dollars spent the tikka is gonna be a safe and solid choice (love my tikkas), but the problem is you now have a shot out ruger sitting around that isnt gonna get you anything in terms of monetary gain. Not sure what your gun vault and financial situation is, but id build the ruger to fill one niche and maybe grab a tikka in a diff caliber to provide you a wider range of applications. Bottom line...always add to the stable. NEVER subtract;)

WJS23

WKR
I would keep the rifle and do it up the way you want there’s nothing wrong with a ruger action.

OP
O

OK_hunter

FNG
You are right about having a gun that is useless if I don't do anything with it. Knowing it doesn't shoot I don't think I could sell it to someone unless they wanted it for a build. My only other hunting rifle is an older model seven in 7mm-08 that was my first gun as a kid. Most of my other guns are shotguns. I have considered a tika in 7mm-08 so I could have 2 guns shooting the same ammo for when my wife goes hunting. Money is not really an issue within reason. I am not looking to spend a ton though just because I mostly archery hunt and will only use the gun at the shooting range and an occasional hunt.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Not shooting opens up groups...I’d check all the screws and put another scope on it and try it with your “right” load. It’s pretty hard for the occasional shooter to wear out a barrel.

OP
O

OK_hunter

FNG
I didn't track rounds but easily over 500 rounds. Early on I shot 40-50 rounds a year or more for the first 10 years. Once I transitioned to archery hunting I still shot 10-20 rounds just for fun. Thats 18 years of shooting. I pulled the scope off last year and put it on my 7mm-08. It shoots great so I don't think it's the scope. I broke the gun down several times last year and was careful to tighten the screws according to instructions since I thought that could be part of the issue. Any other suggestions?

I’d have the Ruger worked. It’s got street cred. It’s drawn blood. It has history. It’ll shoot just as good as a Tikka and it won’t cost any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
not very many smiths are fond of doing rugers.

you might want to know you can find a smithy before you get your hopes up.

I doubt it is shot out - but even if I had a GOOD smith I would not bother.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older tang safety Ruger in 257 Roberts. I was not getting the accuracy that I was expecting. Its with a gunsmith right now getting inspected and crown recut. If it still has issues, I will probably get it rebarreled and may actually have it chambered to 25-06 or something else that will fit the bolt face.

mtmuley

WKR
not very many smiths are fond of doing rugers.

you might want to know you can find a smithy before you get your hopes up.

I doubt it is shot out - but even if I had a GOOD smith I would not bother.
Baloney. The Ruger is a solid action. For a hunting rifle especially. A friend of mine has over 2000 documented rounds from a Mark II chambered in 7mm Remington before accuracy fell off. I don't have any Mark II rifles, but I have some tang safety guns. Lots of sexier stuff out there, but Rugers can be boringly reliable and accurate. mtmuley

amassi

WKR
Sounds like a low round count
If the action is properly bedded, maybe the bore needs to be lapped or throat polished
Youd be out less than $100 for both and may not need a new barrel after all

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I say fix it up. These new rifles are all hollow, cheap feeling. Those old Mark 1/2 have came way up in price for reason. Coastal brown bear hunt, 5 rifles from $2000 down to a $300 SS Mark 2. Only one soaked in salt water from spray in the boat that didn’t rust was the ruger.

hodgeman

WKR
I would doubt very seriously that the barrel is shot out....I've never seen a hunting rifle with a shot out barrel. Varmint rifles and competition rifles for sure, but never a hunting rifle..even serious hunters just don't get that much trigger time. Scopes, mounts, bedding...all can go wonky over time.

Bear with me...but I'd give it to a trusted friend who has shooting savvy and let them give it a go. I have by this point purchased several rifles that were "shot out" for cheap...only to clean them up and get them back to life.

Let a buddy (or a gunsmith) prove you right...that's the cheapest way to fix the rifle.

rayporter

WKR
I seriously stand by my statement. 'not many smiths are fond of doing rugers'
sit in the back with a beer for a while

i said i doubt it is shot out- do you think i did not mean that?

edit
I have owned 3 ruger rifles and been around another. I still have one that will not hit a 2 liter jug at a hundred 5 out of 5 shots.
with my experience ' I would not bother'
you have a better experience so that's cool.

Last edited:

eamyrick

WKR
Had a smith in Austin Texas glass bed my Ruger 308. He also cleaned up the stock to ensure it was free floating 100%. If I were you I’d clean it with a good copper solvent, remove it from the stock and retorque it. (These settings will vary if it’s been bedded). I also doubt it’s shot out. I’ve put together a custom rifle and shot a lot of other variations and there are a lot of variables to get out of sync. From my perspective, these old classic rifles, regardless of the brand, add something to your experience in the field.

OP
O

OK_hunter

FNG
Thanks for the input. I will take it to a gun smith and have it checked out. Hopefully it just needs one of the minor things discussed above done to it. How do I know if a smith is any good? I am in northern AL so if anyone can refer one between Birmingham and Nashville I would appreciate it.

Wapiti1

WKR
John Gallagher in Jasper, AL. Only good one I know in that area. Keep in mind, you can ship that very easily anywhere in the country and it will return to you at the post office. Shipping rifles is easy. Opens up a lot of options.

Jeremy

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Based on my experience, it will be a lot cheaper to start from scratch with a savage or Tikka. That said, I decided to stick with the Ruger and dump a bunch of money into it. I just love that gun. If price was the only factor, we’d all be better off buying our meat at the grocery store...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an older tang safety Ruger in 257 Roberts. I was not getting the accuracy that I was expecting. Its with a gunsmith right now getting inspected and crown recut. If it still has issues, I will probably get it rebarreled and may actually have it chambered to 25-06 or something else that will fit the bolt face.

Same gun here. bought it in 1982 brand new. It's always been a shooter.

OP
O

OK_hunter

FNG
John Gallagher in Jasper, AL. Only good one I know in that area. Keep in mind, you can ship that very easily anywhere in the country and it will return to you at the post office. Shipping rifles is easy. Opens up a lot of options.

Jeremy

Thanks for sharing. I will give him a call. I may be able to drop it off when I go scout the Black Warrior WMA area. in a couple weeks.