Received: Crispi Hunter GTX

Rock-o

WKR
Ordered and received a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX. Three things:

1) I'm not convinced I want the Hunter GTX (vs Guide GTX).
2) I'm not convinced I want insulated.
3) I also have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s on the way to compare. I won't be keeping both.

I realized that I'd never figure it out without starting somewhere. So, this is where I am for now.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I have Kenetrek MTN extremes uninsulated and Crispi kanada, second year wearing them both. I'm feeling the crispis are a little more comfortable and more stable. Taking nothing away from the kenetreks as I have no issues with them at all and haven't since new.

I believe the Crispi Hunter boots are only 200 grams of insulation, (mine are) which isn't too much. I make up the difference by using a liner sock and a good pair of wool socks for the insulation and comfort. I had a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes before these Crispis, and the fit just wasn't the same. The Crispis are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn, so I sold the Kenetreks only due to the lack of proper fit.
It will probably come down to which pair fit you the best as far as which ones to keep. They are equal as far as quality, support, and waterproofness.

twall13

WKR
I've owned the Crispi Hunters for awhile as the Guides were not in stock when I made my purchase or I probably would have ordered them instead, at least at the time, now I'm not so sure which I'd get. I've come to like the Hunters for a lot of situations. That extra height has kept my feet dry a few times when a slightly shorter boot would have had water over the top. While they are insulated, they breath pretty well for what they are and I can wear them in warmer temps than I would have originally thought. I found the extra height of the hunters required an over the calf sock rather than a standard crew length sock, but now that I own a few pairs that's no big deal to me. Keep us posted on what you think of the boots as your comparison comes along.

Kotaman

WKR
Kenetreks are Love/Hate for most. If they work for you, you'll love them. Both the Hunter Extremes and the Hard Scrabbles shredded my heels. I opted for the Guides vs. the Hunters. The Hunters are a little stiffer than the Guides and as you know the Hunters are taller. Both have 200 g insulation which for me is a non factor vs. uninsulated. Let us know how you turn out.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
Bummer my Kenetreks are back-ordered. This may impact timing for comparison which could impact returning the Crispis if that's what I chose to do. It could turn out I have a pair of boots in the classifieds.

The extra height of the Hunters is how I chose them over the Guides. I ordered some Darn Tough over-the-calf socks to go along with them.

My feet tend to be on the cool side. Those of you with the insulated Hunters (or Guides) at what temperature do they become too warm and with what socks (and do you where liners)? For example, the first hunt I will wear them on will be in February out by Big Bend in Texas. Typically it may only have a low around 40 - though freezing temps aren't rare. Snow is rare. It's not uncommon for highs in the 60s. I didn't buy these boots for this hunt but figured it would help in breaking them in and for me to start to get more adjusted to them.

gbflyer

WKR
I wear my Hunters with one pair of smart wool socks in SE AK. I just got them this Fall , so far I’ve worn them Sitka blacktail hunting when we had a brief dip into the high teens. No cold feet, but I was moving a lot. I love these things. Next to zero break in. Just as comfortable as my Valdres I’m on the second season with but 12” high and some insulation.

twall13

WKR
The extra height of the Hunters is how I chose them over the Guides. I ordered some Darn Tough over-the-calf socks to go along with them.

My feet tend to be on the cool side. Those of you with the insulated Hunters (or Guides) at what temperature do they become too warm and with what socks (and do you where liners)? For example, the first hunt I will wear them on will be in February out by Big Bend in Texas. Typically it may only have a low around 40 - though freezing temps aren't rare. Snow is rare. It's not uncommon for highs in the 60s. I didn't buy these boots for this hunt but figured it would help in breaking them in and for me to start to get more adjusted to them.

My Darn Tough over the calf socks are my go to with the Crispi hunters, though the First Lite Triad socks are good as well. I've never used liners in these boots and never felt I needed them.

I'd say the Crispi Hunters will do really well in the temperature range you mentioned. My feet start to get cold in them at temps near freezing if I'm sitting for over an hour. If I'm hiking I've gone down in the 8-9° F range without getting cold, but again, I'm hiking. On the hot end, I did a 7 mile hike in 95° weather with a 40lbs. pack when I first got the boots just to test them out. My feet were hot, yes, but not unbearably so. They wouldn't be my first choice for hot weather but if I could only afford one boot I wouldn't hesitate to use these in the heat. In anything below 70° I think they work well as long as you have good socks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wear my Crispi Hunters with a pair of Kenetrek Ultimate Liner socks under the Kenetrek Alaska wool socks. They have padding in the toe and heel area, and padding in the shin area. Really comfortable, and they keep my feet comfortable in 60* weather, and in 10* weather.

This is great stuff guys! I just received my non-insulated Crispi Guide boots and I am really liking them. I got them in the non-insulated version and I think that it will work perfect for me. I am just getting into my 5th mile of breaking them in, so I have a ways to go, but my feet feel really good with my Crispi or Black Ovis socks on.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
Bummer my Kenetreks are back-ordered.
They finally shipped today... leaving town tomorrow AM for a week so I hope a neighbor will grab them before a porch pirate does.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
Don't get too excited, Samson7x, I'll only be wearing them in the house and on the elliptical.

Honyock

WKR
Which pair fits your feet the best? Quality of the boot can not overcome a bad fitting boot. I run the Crispi Guide & Nevada and my feet love them. Whichever you go with change out the insoles.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
So I've worn each for maybe a half mile around the house. I must have average feet because neither really stands out as noticeably more comfortable than the other.

Initial thoughts (boots are listed alphabetical - don't read anything into it, cons first since I like to end on a good note):

Hunter GTX - cons
* They squeak - I think it's the laces rubbing on leather (will the leather cream help with this???)

Hunter GTX - pros
* I like the extra height
* I think they fit better though it is very early to make any sort of a concrete claim

Mountain Extreme 400 - cons
* Although it's only a small area I don't like the non-leather material on the tongue

Mountain Extreme 400 - pros
* The sole feels more grippy
* The lugs may be very slightly thicker
* Feel more natural to walk in

Of course cosmetics are a preference and matter little to me, I prefer the look of the Hunter - I don't like the green on the Mountain Extreme.

After listing the pros and cons I find it strange that I'm more drawn to the Hunter. Maybe it's the cosmetics. I find it very interesting that I cited that the Hunter may fit better but the Mountain Extreme feels more natural walk in. Also strange is that the Mountain Extreme feels slightly snug relative to the other. I swear I've read that Crispi boots tend to be more narrow. I ordered regular width in both boots, size 14. Maybe it is actually the better fit.

If anybody would like to see I'll post side-by-side pics.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really like crispi boots, I have the birksdall SF and the uninsated guides. I havnt spent much time with the guide boots but I did 2 sheep hunts with the birksdall SF as well as all of my training for those hunts. I wanted to try the guide because I wanted something a bit less stiff for the longer approaches.

jtdowns81

FNG
Which pair fits your feet the best? Quality of the boot can not overcome a bad fitting boot. I run the Crispi Guide & Nevada and my feet love them. Whichever you go with change out the insoles.
If you had to choose between the Nevada or the Guide which would you choose?

Honyock

WKR
I would choose the Nevada. I like the 8 inch boot better. Same boot except for the height, the Guide is a 10 inch boot.