Received the Vaccine today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LWC

FNG
Of course, sorry I forgot it's just the flu and the whole world is playing along.

Have you seen what's happening India?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I've seen a couple of blurbs on India but haven't researched it much. I did find it curious why it took a over a year for the covid to really take off in country with over a billion people with most living in such horrible conditions that most Americans can hardly imagine.
I was referring to the US. But since you brought it up, where did the flu go this past year?

NDGuy

WKR
But since you brought it up, where did the flu go this past year?
I am no expert but just my redneck guessing is having a lot of people working remotely, schools being more remote, and people taking more notice on hand washing and being away from people was a big reason flu was down.

Flu usually has a R-0 of 1 so pretty believable that the crazy measures that took place last fall and winter would lower the spread of all illnesses.

I've seen a couple of blurbs on India but haven't researched it much. I did find it curious why it took a over a year for the covid to really take off in country with over a billion people with most living in such horrible conditions that most Americans can hardly imagine.
I was referring to the US. But since you brought it up, where did the flu go this past year?
I would think this would be common sense by now, but... I guess not. Hand washing, mask wearing, social distancing, all the different closures: movie theaters, work from home, schools, etc. Decreased travel. The list goes on and on.... The flu is not as communicable as covid. So all those measures for covid worked really well on the flu.

Also lots more flu shots were administered last fall. I know my workplace hosted a clinic (we had never done this, but did due to covid). I got a shot when I hadn't previously had one in many years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

LWC

FNG
I am no expert but just my redneck guessing is having a lot of people working remotely, schools being more remote, and people taking more notice on hand washing and being away from people was a big reason flu was down.

Flu usually has a R-0 of 1 so pretty believable that the crazy measures that took place last fall and winter would lower the spread of all illnesses.
But I thought it was all of the thoughtless anti vaxxer people that didn't wear masks, went to motorcycle rallies, ballgames, holiday parties, spring breakers, etc... that were responsible for spread of the covid all across the country and ultimately around the world. Maybe they were just careful enough to not spread the flu. Guess we caught a lucky break with that one.

Deadfall

WKR
My wife showed me a picture of one her friends with a magnet sticking to her arm after getting that shot.

Anyone else become magnetic who got the shot?

Deadfall

WKR
Good for you! I am 63. My College roommate was in ICU for 13 days. A friends wife died from Covid. She was 68. Another college friend’s wife now has heart issues secondary to Covid. Either you don’t have that big of a circle of acquaintances or you haven’t looked very far. This is NOT just another virus. Now you can choose to not get the vaccine and I will support your right to do so, but if you claim this thing is nothing to worry about, then you aren’t looking hard enough and you don’t know the facts.

tell me this: if this thing killed 5% of our kids instead of older people would you still scoff?

And from a former skeptic: uncle Ted:

Too bad everyone isn't as fired up over child trafficking, or the molesting rings in this country. There's something to worry about.

I'm with Flak on this.

I know way More folks dying of cancer then this. Matter of fact I know more folks who died of flu.

Most everyone around smarter then me, but man this sure seems off

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife showed me a picture of one her friends with a magnet sticking to her arm after getting that shot.

Anyone else become magnetic who got the shot?
It’s a real pain; my wife threw the frying pan at me and for once I saw it coming, cleanly ducked it and WHACK- right in the fricken shoulder, I just can’t win

gelton

WKR
My wife is a school teacher and covid does seem to be flaring up lately although the recent "cluster" started from a teacher who had already been vaccinated, got Covid afterwards and spread it to someone else and they spread it to their high school-aged child.

They have been in school since August and completely unmasked since March, while there have been cases, there have been no deaths and certainly nothing that warrants shutting down a whole economy and making people live like inmates.

My wife was in close contact with the other person who caught it, and we haven't lost a minute of sleep over it.

MattB

WKR
I wonder if we can justify masking and closures and lockdowns in perpetuity just using the flu as justification?
When was the last time we had 500K during a flu season? You are only missing the point by a full order of magnitude.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
When was the last time we had 500K during a flu season? You are only missing the point by a full order of magnitude.
Meh at those numbers. It’s not black and white. And still, only 6% died from covid and 94% had average of 2.6 of comorbidities. So yea, America is fat and unhealthy and that’s the problem.

Meh at those numbers. It’s not black and white. And still, only 6% died from covid and 94% had average of 2.6 of comorbidities. So yea, America is fat and unhealthy and that’s the problem.
Busy lifestyles and free-loading is what causes the fat and unhealthy problem. Only a fool thinks it's OK and normal to work 60 - 70 hours a week and the only true 24/7 industry is emergency response and utility (because of emergency response requirements).

LWC

FNG
When was the last time we pcr tested EVERY hospital patient, EVERY death, had MASSIVE Drive In Testing, encouraged EVERYONE and their dog to get tested for the FLU with or WITHOUT SYMPTOMS? I'd say those numbers would also increase greatly if that was done. It isn't that difficult to manipulate numbers. PCR tests are turned up or down depending on the "level" of disease the tester want to detect.

Status
Not open for further replies.