reckoning pack setup

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
How has this bag done for you all in a day mode setting? I ran a woodsman last year on a lite frame. Loved it but i hunt solo and pack meat inside the bag instead of using the meat shelf. The woodsie would get a bit overcrowded using it that way so I was thinking this might be a better solution. And input would be appreciated. Due to work I don’t get out for many overnights. It’s mainly day hunting.
It has worked really well for me as a day pack. Compresses down really well, and you have the option to just leave everything in the bag and use the load shelf when it is needed. One of my favorite parts of the bag is the ladder lock style webbing running up each side of the center zip. There are infinite options for compression strap setups allowing you to really cinch a heavy load down, head on the top or back side, etc. Extremely handy option, and I carry a few extra compression straps in the chamber pocket just for this purpose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the pack for a couple month now and I'm still figuring out how to best set it up but I've definitely been impressed by how tight i can suck everything down for day mode.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve had mine for a couple years now, got it when it 1st came out. I own every damn accessory pouch that Kifaru makes, but I’ve cut them down significantly. You just sort of have to work through the process until you find what works for you.

For me, I run a small belt pouch on right, mini pouch and Nalgene on left. Large pocket on the snow flap, and two med on each side at the base.

You can’t cheat the mountain

dblb

FNG
looking at this pack - reading everyone's comments, good stuff.

what is the best - rifle up the back or along the side? I'm looking at the cavern, I like the side zip but I'm unsure about running a rifle on the side.

Tradchef

WKR
So you don’t feel like it’s too much for a day pack? I guess I’m just used to the woodsman size because this back is massive compared to the woodsie. I do like the features more on the reckoning.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
looking at this pack - reading everyone's comments, good stuff.

what is the best - rifle up the back or along the side? I'm looking at the cavern, I like the side zip but I'm unsure about running a rifle on the side.
I prefer a rifle up the back. I think it rides better, but that's a personal preference. Carrying it on the side works well when also carrying a spotter on the other side in the pocket, though. It balances the weight pretty well. But I don't always carry a spotter for rifle hunting.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
So you don’t feel like it’s too much for a day pack? I guess I’m just used to the woodsman size because this back is massive compared to the woodsie. I do like the features more on the reckoning.
I do not feel like it's too much because it compresses down so well. I like having the space available in case I want/need it, and since it doesn't stay full size and loose hanging all the time it works well. I also have a 22 Mag, and I have barely used it since trying the Reckoning.

FlyGuy

WKR

It’s not “too much” but it is way more than you need. If you know that you will primarily day hunt (up to 3 night pack ins) then I would push you towards the Woodsman.

The Reckoning works very well in day pack mode, but there is plenty extra fabric to strap down and I personally think it’s just overkill. If you think you will regularly do some 5 night and up backpack hunts, then I’d absolutely go reckoning.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Tradchef

WKR
I had the woodsman previously. It was awesome. My only issue is I hunt solo and pack a crap ton of meat so I can cut down on trips made. I like the space of the reckoning for that. What I’m unsure of is the day mode size. That’s where the woodsman to me was perfect. I also prefer to pack meat in the main bag instead of the meat shelf so that’s why the reckoning perked my interest. That being said restaurant life keeps me doing day hunts. Should I look at something else or see if this could work?

CKWY97

FNG
I run mine with a nalgene pouch on the waist belt and a medium belt pouch on the side of the pals matrix to put the stock of my rifle in when going hands free. No lid, maybe on a longer trip I would want one, but so far for 3-5 day trips haven't wanted or needed a lid.

KurtR

WKR
Here are two separate year with the reckoning and guide lid and medium pouch and both times i had way to much shit this was planning on being out for five days i could have stayed 10 easy with all the what ifs i packed for. I went home both times and fired alot of stuff out i did not need and now have tons of room.

You fellas ever consider a DT2? With the need for all the pockets being expressed, you get four with it. Plus a bungee matrix to keep outer layers handy.