Reckoning vs Kutthroat

hunterjmj

WKR
I've had my eye on a reckoning for some time but now I'm thinking the Kutthroat may be better for what I need. Would like some of your opinions.

I day hunt from a wall tent or my pickup. I rarely backpack hunt. I've been hunting with a Kifaru Longhunter for 20 years and it's served me well but the new packs have so many features I'd love to have. I also have a longhunter frame with ledge for packing out quarters.
What I want/need: easy access to my tripod, easy access to my trekking poles and easy access to my binos and puffy.

The reckoning seems to fit the bill but bigger than I need and the Kutthroat seems to fill this need but would like to hear the pros and cons.

I've watched the videos and read the threads but still would like to get some more info.

bsnedeker

WKR
Do you ever need to carry more than 80 pounds? If so, get a frame and the reckoning if that is the bag design you want. If you aren't going to carry heavy weight ever i think the kutty makes s lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
I have had the Reckoning for 4 or 5 years and it is an awesome daypack as well as a great pack to take a big load of meat out with and still have room for the stuff that was in your pack. In day mode there are a lot of efficient ways to work out of it depending on the situation. I can't say anything about the other pack but I am happy with mine.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
you do know that Reckoning is a bag and separate Kifaru pack frame is needed to complete the set up.
Kutthroat is their new internal frame type bag.

I like the separate bag, frame & pockets system. Allows so many options.
For my day hunts from wall tent base camp or truck, I use my 26" Hunter Duplex frame & 22mag G2 bag.
For my 3-5 day backcountry pack in trips, I use my 26" Hunter Duplex frame & Reckoning pack.
Plus is both bags feature a meat shelf option, which is very handy in packing out bagged quarters or meat.
Also I use a few external pockets on both bags for the little extras or quick access needed items.
Either pack changes out with the frame in just a few minutes.

2019, I was archery hunting solo in area with lots of bear sign. On day 3, put down a raghorn bull at 9am. Finished processing, cutting, bagging all meat by 3pm via gutless method. Before starting pack out to trailhead/truck, I split the remaining bagged meat into 2 separate hanging areas. about 200 yards apart. The antlers/skull plate removed from head and stashed in a tree midway between the 2 meat parcels. All meat was moved away from boned out carcass-guts-head about 300 yards.
That afternoon-evening I packed out my backcountry camp, 1-rear elk quarter boned out, 2 backstraps & tenderloins. Total weight packed out was about 100-lbs. It wasn't easy on my 60+yr old legs but got it done.
Don't think I could have got that done without the Kifaru pack/frame system. Weight like that is a pain, where depending on your body & conditioning. It was a long 2 miles & non-trail but sold on Kifaru yet again for handling weight capability.

Coming back the next morning, went back in light, without camp gear or bow but Glock-20 & spray on my pack belt. Glassed the skeletal carcass and it appeared hit by bear or something. Continued onward, one of the meat parcels was hit by bears (tracks appeared to be sow, cub), both bags torn from a hanging branch. The 2 Cariboo bags ripped to shreds. Lost both front quarters, neck meat.
Reaching the 2nd meat parcel, I was relieved as the 2nd rear quarter & bag of cut meat was ok. Even though it was only 200 yards away from the bear's ravaged parcel.
Quickly loaded the rear quarter, 1 bag trimmed ribs, other trim meat and the antlers. With amount of bear sign, at 1st meat parcel and carcass, Just loaded up and go...very stressful solo and with meat down in bear country.

Last edited:
OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
you do know that Reckoning is a bag and separate Kifaru pack frame is needed to complete the set up.
Kutthroat is their new internal frame type bag.

I like the separate bag, frame & pockets system. Allows so many options.
For my day hunts from wall tent base camp or truck, I use my 26" Hunter Duplex frame & 22mag G2 bag.
For my 3-5 day backcountry pack in trips, I use my 26" Hunter Duplex frame & Reckoning pack.
Plus is both bags feature a meat shelf option, which is very handy in packing out bagged quarters or meat.
Also I use a few external pockets on both bags for the little extras or quick access needed items.
Either pack changes out with the frame in just a few minutes.

2019, I was archery hunting solo in area with lots of bear sign. On day 3, put down a raghorn bull at 9am. Finished processing, cutting, bagging all meat by 3pm via gutless method. Before starting pack out to trailhead/truck, I split the remaining bagged meat into 2 separate hanging areas. about 200 yards apart. The antlers/skull plate removed from head and stashed in a tree midway between the 2 meat parcels. All meat was moved away from boned out carcass-guts-head about 300 yards.
That afternoon-evening I packed out my backcountry camp, 1-rear elk quarter boned out, 2 backstraps & tenderloins. Total weight packed out was about 100-lbs. It wasn't easy on my 60+yr old legs but got it done.
Don't think I could have got that done without the Kifaru pack/frame system. Weight like that is a pain, where depending on your body & conditioning. It was a long 2 miles & non-trail but sold on Kifaru yet again for handling weight capability.

Coming back the next morning, went back in light, without camp gear or bow but Glock-20 & spray on my pack belt. Glassed the skeletal carcass and it appeared hit by bear or something. Continued onward, one of the meat parcels was hit by bears (tracks appeared to be sow, cub), both bags torn from a hanging branch. The 2 Cariboo bags ripped to shreds. Lost both front quarters, neck meat.
Reaching the 2nd meat parcel, I was relieved as the 2nd rear quarter & bag of cut meat was ok. Even though it was only 200 yards away from the bear's ravaged parcel.
Quickly loaded the rear quarter, 1 bag trimmed ribs, other trim meat and the antlers. With amount of bear sign, at 1st meat parcel and carcass, Just loaded up and go...very stressful solo and with meat down in bear country.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Kifaru so I do know the reckoning requires a frame. The 22 mag is a bit small for what I like. It does look like a nice bag though. Sorry about the loss of meat. My hunting partner lost almost half a rear elk quarter to 2 bald eagles and a golden eagle this year. They never touched the carcass which was about 100 yards away. They tore open the meat bag and went to town.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Just watched a video on YouTube from Rambler and he goes through the Kutthroat pretty good. This pack is pretty badass from what I've seen so far. Not quite ready to pull the trigger yet since these packs are a pretty penny but I'm definitely leaning towards the Kutthroat. Wish I had unlimited funds to buy them all to try out. 🤣