Recoil, . 243 vs ARC or Grendel

Out of the 3 you mentioned the 6 ARC has the least amount of recoil. I’d stick with .243 and put a muzzle brake on it. There won’t be any recoil. But you’ll pay with the “bang.”

My brother has a 6.5 grendel AR and Howa mini, they are very mild compared to my lightweight .243, even though the mini weighs nearly two pounds less. In the AR the 6.5G kicks pretty similarly to the .223. I’m sure on paper it’s got slightly more but it’s not perceptible to me

Shraggs

WKR
@Formidilous I’m glad you commented in as that would be my recommendation too.

Was going to suggest that possibly the 62 grain fusion might have better odds of an exit? Although not the range of the 77 tmk

Jbuck

FNG
Thanks fellas :). I had held off until Boxing Day to see if I could find a sale on either tikka .223 or Howa of sorts. After a lot of debating now I think I’ll jump into a Grendel for her.

Prophet River has a mini Grendel on sale, but in the plastic stock, I think I’ll go that route and just trim down the stock if it’s to long, then replace it with walnut in a couple/few years after a few growth spurts.

I picked up a plastic stocked mini in grendel for my 2 younger boys. 6 and 10. I cut the stock back about 1.5" and reinstalled the factory recoil pad. It worked well enough. I was able to reuse the stock screw holes and just sanded the pad down to fit. They both like the round and it's pretty mild recoiling.

I also picked up a Stockysstocks VG that it sits in now. The LOP is just under 13 with the thin recoil pad.

20231230_081212.jpg

Jbuck

FNG
This is my 6yo making a 1st round hit at 510yds. You can see how he handles the recoil.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Can't speak to the ARC, but my A-Bolt in .243 and 6.5 Grendel AR are both very similar in recoil, and very mild to me. But, I also shoot a 300 WM and a very light weight 8mm Mauser, so mild to me might be very different to other folks.

MattB

WKR
I started my recoil-sensitive daughter with a .243 and handloaded 70 gr Hammer bullets at ~2,750 fps with H4895 which is in the same realm as .223 recoil-wise.

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
I picked up a plastic stocked mini in grendel for my 2 younger boys. 6 and 10. I cut the stock back about 1.5" and reinstalled the factory recoil pad. It worked well enough. I was able to reuse the stock screw holes and just sanded the pad down to fit. They both like the round and it's pretty mild recoiling.

I also picked up a Stockysstocks VG that it sits in now. The LOP is just under 13 with the thin recoil pad.

View attachment 649901

Thanks jb!! That’s what I have in mind, cutting down the stock an inch or so. I wasn’t sure if the screw holes would still be there or not, that makes it a lot easier if they are.

The rifle should be here in a few days, excited to see how my girl handles it.

Jbuck

FNG
Train that kid to stay on the damn gun
Yeah, lol, I know. We are working on it. I think it's because it was only a 15x scope and he was having a hard time picking out the steel. He is only 6 and usually shoots an AI that has much better glass.

Jbuck

FNG
Thanks jb!! That’s what I have in mind, cutting down the stock an inch or so. I wasn’t sure if the screw holes would still be there or not, that makes it a lot easier if they are.

The rifle should be here in a few days, excited to see how my girl handles it.
The screw holes were still there when I cut the stock. I think I had to drill them a little deeper though. But everything lined up perfectly.