Recoil! 300 RUM vs 300 Win - Equal??

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So I really don’t get why you want to keep the velocity the same ?!?! To get lower recoil? Use a brake or pick a different caliber if you are recoil sensitive. You will spend more to load a rum than the win and if there is a recoil difference it’s probably so minimal you wouldn’t notice.
Valid question. I currently have a lightweight 300 win that I'm shooting 215 bergers from. I want to build a lightweight 300 rum and shoot 245 bergers. A very knowledgeable friend is telling me not to do it - that the rum kicks like a mule. My win has a brake on it and in my opinion it hardly kicks. If I'm going to invest $$$$ in a custom rum, I would like to know that there is an escape route if it is nocking my teeth out and that I'm not going to throw $$$$ away. I really don't think it will be bad, but I'm being told otherwise. So I'm looking how I could reduce the recoil of the rum, worst case. It definitely will cost more to reload, but not as much as a new barrel.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Best thing for me would be a friend who has a 6 pound (bare) rum for me to go shoot, but......

Spoonman

WKR
Valid question. I currently have a lightweight 300 win that I'm shooting 215 bergers from. I want to build a lightweight 300 rum and shoot 245 bergers. A very knowledgeable friend is telling me not to do it - that the rum kicks like a mule. My win has a brake on it and in my opinion it hardly kicks. If I'm going to invest $$$$ in a custom rum, I would like to know that there is an escape route if it is nocking my teeth out and that I'm not going to throw $$$$ away. I really don't think it will be bad, but I'm being told otherwise. So I'm looking how I could reduce the recoil of the rum, worst case. It definitely will cost more to reload, but not as much as a new barrel.
Got it now. So I have a 300 win that I shoot 215’s out of at 2880fps. I have a brake on it and I can shoot it all day. My buddy has a rum shooting 230’s at 2950-3000ish I believe and his has a brake as well and I could shoot that all day as well. Both rifles are in the 10.5lb class though.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Got it now. So I have a 300 win that I shoot 215’s out of at 2880fps. I have a brake on it and I can shoot it all day. My buddy has a rum shooting 230’s at 2950-3000ish I believe and his has a brake as well and I could shoot that all day as well. Both rifles are in the 10.5lb class though.
Right. That weight makes a huge difference.

Gen273

WKR
I have shot and hunted with both, and in my opinion, there is no comparison in recoil. The RUM is substantially more recoil vs the Win mag with the same weight bullet. I don't consider myself very recoil sensitive, but my model 700 in .300 RCM KICKS! However, it is a tack driver.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have had two 300 WMs and three 300 RUMs. I agree with @Gen273, the RUM definitely ups the recoil game. Two of my unbraked RUMs, which weighed 8.25 pounds, scoped me about half the time with 200 gr bullets. On the first one, I attributed that to the drop at heel resulting from a stock change (the stock change also dropped the weight considerably). I then got the other 300 RUM and had the same trouble. I dropped to 181 gr bullets and the scoping issue went away. So, I think recoil out of a 300 RUM with heavy bullets is going to generally require a heavy gun, a muzzle brake, a shooter who is insensitive to recoil, or some combination of the three.

tdhanses

WKR
Why get a 300rum if your only going to load it to match a 300wm?

Personally if you can save 10gr and get the same results i’d go with the one that saves powder especially with it being difficult to obtain.

tdhanses

WKR
Put a terminator brake on it and roll with it, i also think some are more recoil sensitive.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Why get a 300rum if your only going to load it to match a 300wm?

Personally if you can save 10gr and get the same results i’d go with the one that saves powder especially with it being difficult to obtain.
Because like i said, my win hardly kicks and I'd like more power.... Just not sure how much more....

tdhanses

WKR
Because like i said, my win hardly kicks and I'd like more power.... Just not sure how much more....
I know my 300wsm slinging 215’s at 2963ft/s recoils less then a 6.5cm or sure feels like it, the terminator t2 brake is amazing. I’d definitely put one on a rum and bet you could shoot it all day.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I know my 300wsm slinging 215’s at 2963ft/s recoils less then a 6.5cm or sure feels like it, the terminator t2 brake is amazing. I’d definitely put one on a rum and bet you could shoot it all day.
I have a T2 on my win. I would be able to put a T3 on the rum, with the large proof barrel diameter.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
All that extra rum gas blowing out the end of the barrel actually helps to reduce recoil. It's been awhile since I looked at recoil reduction percentages. I think some brakes claim around a 70% reduction, with a 50% reduction being pretty easy to achieve.

I've heard people say that smaller calibers like say a 243 may only see a 40% recoil reduction with a brake, while larger calibers may see closer to a 70% reduction, just because of the amount of gas hitting the brake.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Anybody know if you can get a 245 to mag feed in a rum?

Are you going to build a single shot or run a wyatts? Or a CIP length mag? I can easily throw 20+ rounds a day out my RUM and not think twice about it. Of course I also have a good brake on it. My daughter shoots it as well and thinks it's about the same as her 300 winny