Recoil Confusion... I've done something weird.

Check the recoil pad thickness and stock fit, should be fine then. Switch out the recoil pad too maybe. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think your manhood is measured by your ability to get the shit kicked out of you by your own rifle. In my limited experience, people who are like that don't tend to actually shoot that much (I wonder why). Everyone should be looking to make their gun as pleasant to shoot as possible so they shoot more and make better shots on game.

I put a limbsaver on my 30-06 T3x factory stock shooting 165 pills at 2900 FPS. The rifle weighs 7-1/2 lbs with the scope. I can put 40-50 rounds down range and go home with zero discomfort. With the factory pad I had bruising and pain after 15-20 rounds. It still kicks a bit but I’d say 1/2 of the previous felt recoil. Try the limbsaver.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
None. I figured adjustable LOP would be desirable and the ergos on this seemed pretty close to (maybe even better) to my McMillan Game Warden.

I spoke with Manners, I’m pretty sure it’s the Pachmayr rifle presentation pad (part # 500B) but fit to the particular Manners butt (and AG Composites). I don’t know if that’s the Manners standard… consistency like a lacrosse ball, and billed as a more functional replacement for a metal butt plate.

Yea if its this that sucks.

Really need a 1" decel pad or 1" limbsaver IMO.

OP
DJL2

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I put a limbsaver on my 30-06 T3x factory stock shooting 165 pills at 2900 FPS. The rifle weighs 7-1/2 lbs with the scope. I can put 40-50 rounds down range and go home with zero discomfort. With the factory pad I had bruising and pain after 15-20 rounds. It still kicks a bit but I’d say 1/2 of the previous felt recoil. Try the limbsaver.
I've got a limb saver for my Tikka 7mm RM sitting in the safe. Are they that much better? I thought the stock recoil pad was actually good and the limb saver seemed similar enough that I didn't bother to install it. I shoot a comparable load to your .30-06 - 168 grain Matrix VLD at about 2925 fps. Though 40 round sessions are rare for me (based on how the barrel heats and cools, and my limited patience), I did a one day shake out of different factory ammo at one point that included Barnes (139 LRX), Federal (150 NBT, 150 NAB), and Hornady (154 SST, 162 SST). I've also done load testing of multiple loads on the same day (162 SST and 168 Matrix work up). Really no significant issues with that rifle - certainly not compared to "Man Bun #2."

All that being said, I ordered a recoil pad because the stock doesn't really have one... it has a piece of hard rubber on the back. That shouldn't be an issue... but, as it turns out, I need all the help I can get.

Yea if its this that sucks.

Really need a 1" decel pad or 1" limbsaver IMO.
Yeah - it's a 1/4" of hard plastic and a 1/4" of almost as hard rubber. It's a functional non-slip surface, but offers very little in the way of recoil attenuation. I didn't think that would matter, but...

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yea. I don't like recoil. I really don't like muzzle blasts. I use 1" Parmar or limbsavers and suppressors. They both work equally well. The edge goes to the limb saver however when its over 100 they get a touch tacky.
Really is no shame in making the Guns as comfortable as possible to shoot.

WCB

WKR
I have a bull barrel Rem 700 6mm Remington with the unpadded buttstock....absolutely not fun to shoot for any amount of time. shot 80 rounds through it Prairie Dog hunting a couple years ago (only ever used it coyote hunting in the winter) in a t-shirt laying prone. I was sore the next day and stuck with the .223 after that.

it was all stock config/fit/finish. My 7rem Savage with the 1"inch squishy padded butt stock I can shoot 50-60 rounds in a sitting in a t-shirt no issues.

I also had a pachmeyr decelerator on my old Remy 700 in 30-06. It was far better than the stock brass buttplate. But still the gun would bruise my shoulder if I shot anything heavier than 150’s. Being young and dumb I just shot it that way for 25 years. Same story as the Tikka ... put on a limbsaver, no longer afraid of my rifle. I don’t understand why they are better, but I’m convinced limbsavers are the best.