Recoil in prone without holding onto stock

RCB

WKR
I'm shooting a fairly light Savage 11 chambered in 308. No muzzle brake or suppressor. Generally speaking the recoil is quite manageable. It being my first firearm, however, means I learned the hard way that you do have to hold onto it! Early on I went to the range with the idea that I should relax as much as possible while squeezing the trigger, so as to strain muscles as little as possible and get a consistent shot. The general idea was ok, but unfortunately I was a bit too relaxed: I was barely holding on at all, and the rifle, resting on my bag, jumped up and struck me between the eyes. Blood flowed freely.

Ever since then I've always held a sturdy grip on the stock with my non-shooting hand. That means I'm not able to do the thing where my left hand helps to adjust elevation by propping up the rear of the rifle (not sure if there is a name for this - basically, think squeezing a sock). That's too bad, though, because I feel like I could be more accurate if I let my left hand aid in the aiming process, instead of straining somewhat to hold the rifle stock. I see that a lot of guys seem to do this technique without any trouble. In some cases I see that they have heavier rifles, and/or muzzle brakes, which would tame recoil. Or they use bipods that seem to grab the shooting surface. But I suspect there is a way to make this work for me, firing off of a bag. Are there any tricks I don't know? Apart from pulling the rifle well into your shoulder and having a good grip in your trigger hand? Perhaps it's time to give it another try - hopefully no scope cuts this time.

bsnedeker

WKR
I pull the stock into my shoulder with my shooting hand with my trigger finger relaxed. I also curl my shoulder into the stock so I have tension going both directions... works for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka Superlite in .308. I took a couple of shooting classes with some marine snipers and we figured out that if you pull the stock firmly into your shoulder you can manage recoil and still get good trigger control. It's better to have a relaxed grip but with a rifle that light we had to adjust.

Wrench

WKR
Its important to realize that light rifles can go from a sweet shooter to a POS just from recoil. If you're going to shoot light rigs....you must learn to repeatably control recoil. If it's not a habit and you get into the moment.....you will be disappointed.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Your left hand should be on the rear bag. A little tension into the shoulder is created there, a little more with your firing hand. Some shoulder pressure is needed for light rifles with “above moderate” recoil, but you shouldn’t need the full strength of either hand. Ready the shoulder into the stock, and compress the buttstock between your cheek weld, shoulder/chest pressure, firing hand tension, support hand tension, and support bag.

A good recoil pad never hurt anyone either.

Reactions: RCB

WCB

WKR
Also, make sure when in the prone you are in a good position in general. I've seen more people get scoped in the prone position than any position. I think most people are not getting the gun in the correct spot on their shoulder when in the prone. It seems they have the top of the recoil pad on the top of their chest/peck and upon firing the gun kicks under them thus moving the scope back into their face. The next would be shooting steep uphill shots for the same reason.

You have to practice being able to get the butt of the rifle sucked into/on your shoulder tight. You really should not have to "hold on" at all to control recoil.

If shooting prone and the rifle is jumping that much something is wrong with your setup. Good advice above. Get it tight in your shoulder and lean into the gun.

Sled

WKR
i agree with midGA. when i had difficulty spotting my own shots i had to tweak my form a little to get my recoil inline and control the muzzle flip. for me, that was preloading the bipod which put the pressure i needed on shoulder/clavicle. that allowed me to relax my shooting hand a little. also i moved from an angled prone position to a more inline one. that seemed to help with magnums.

Al Henderson shared this with his archery team... if you get a chance to read his book youll excel beyond your own expectations...

Practic 1 step 10 X's,,, write it down and give it a number,,, do the same thing with the next step and so on,,, that way youll count down each set in sequence,,, if you """dont""" feel comfortable through the count,,, break it off and start all over again...

Stand down...

Start over again keeping your self Square to the target...

Move your scope forward,,, seeing a bit of the black ring on the outer edges when your in your comfortable prone position. .. forward rings or mounts... the black ring will help you keep your eye centered on the optic...

Your set-up is more important than the shot,,, lots of dry firing,,, then send it,,, repeat all over again and again...

A lite rifle with lots of recoil is challenging,,, a solid bunny ear rear bag,,, just enough cheek weld,,, a trained shooting hand, a gel shoulder pad is a plus... dont torque twist the stock,,, pinky to keep stock firm to shoulder with pad,,, thumb and other 2 fingers out of the way...

Think land canon,,, your rifle is the cannon,,, and your the supporting factor to make it part of the land as your semi relaxed body keeps it planted...

Feel free to PM me if you need a bit more info to get things rocking...

You can thank me later... Ha

Don

SoDaky

WKR
Dry fire a lot.Shoot more.Shoot a lot at 50 yds or less as you experiment with slight adjustments-one slight adjustment at a time.SEE the results.

Here is a link to test in your own shooting form at your choosing...

It might benifit shooters with high power ulta light rifles...

If something like this interest you that is...

Take on the 22 rimfire stuff since its frugal to practic with,,, address your shooting form and trigger control... My leed told me not not worry about the bullets down range since it was more important to concentrate on what i am doing behind the rifle...

Same as archery,,, get my foundation set-up,,, keep it consistent,,, and have the shooting thing fall into second nature...

Purhaps breaking things up into smaller parts could help...

American Rifleman | How to Shoot Light Rifles https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/9/10/how-to-shoot-light-rifles/

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
My brother shoots right hand with his left folded under. I’ve witnessed him make one hole shots out to 200 yard with everything up to a light, no brake 300wsm 180 grain loads running hot. He claims he focuses on form and trigger squeeze. I can do the same but it takes me a few (sometimes quite a few) rounds to figure out how much pressure to apply both to my shoulder and griping a given gun. I think of mine as more of a hunting form as once I get a rifle figured out I can wad up a coat , throw my gun on it and shoot pretty dang good, pretty quick. I believe his technique takes a lot more to learn but is better/quicker once it is mastered for a new rifle/load development. I call my technique a bad habit learned from shooting a lot of magnums before there were muzzle brakes although it does have its advantages. Someday I’m going to have to learn proper technique or be outshot with my own rifle by my brother and if you have a brother, you know how that would go over lol

Rich M

WKR
You could use your sling to help steady the gun and hold it down. If interested - research sling shooting techniques.

IMO, you just need to get used to the gun. Go shoot it a bunch and learn how it works. You don't need to strangle the fore grip to control it.

Also Goolge a shooter named """German,""" he has some fantastic articles on free hand shooting in the Full Bore rifle shooting sports...

The information he shares saves us alot of time when it comes to picking our own shooting positions,,, ways to get comfortable and shoot relaxed...

Solid and steady on parts of our body,,, yet loose and relaxed in areas that require it,,, he calls it the 50/50...

A person will know this after a few trips to the range if we choose to experiment a bit...

Good shooting format goes along ways,,, when it becomes second nature a person only needs to refresh these areas once in a while to stay on top of it...

Bypod or bag fully forward,,, solid rear bunny ear bag rear,,, cheek weld ahead of rear bag with slight weigth,,, a open shooting hand with pinky to hold it firm to shoulder,,, """no""" wrist twist... then click away at dry-firing...

When it feels right,,, send it,,, repete before sending the next shot,,, less time worrying about where the bullet goes,,, more time thinking about the shot """and follow threw""". Ha...

Like my old friend said,,, a rifle/ optic/ and ammo that will out shoot us every day,,, our task is to make it perform...

Kinda like the Al Henderson writings of becoming a master of good archery,,, and everything else in life...

Human skills that transform onto paper that we can see with our own eyes...

Don

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll ask my brother next time we shoot. I wouldn’t give up until your eyebrow is bleeding the second time. One thing I will say, some of the older designed rifles kick a hell of a lot harder than these modern ones. A long time ago, a guy gave me a 30-06 to see if I could get it to shoot more accurately. The recoil was so bad I said screw it and wadded a coat up against my shoulder. Actually, besides being labeled a sissy by my brother, it worked very well.

BjornF16

WKR
I can shoot 10+ lb gun (300 WM) no issues with free hand squeezing sand bag under butt stock and maintain good grouping.

However, shooting a 7lb rig requires me to hold onto the fore end for same grouping ability.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the same way I am, but it just takes me longer to adjust with a different rifle vs my brother is grouping right away. We’re both smaller thinner build which adds to the challenge. My max recoil is in the 300 win mag range. He claims he can hold a group with a 300 weatherby. Definitely not me. Even after drinking a few group tighteners.