Recoil Lug

morgaj1

WKR
I am tinkering with a semi-custom Remington 700 build. I have an AG Composites stock and the recoil lug slot is 0.400”, but the factory lug measures 0.200”. After hunting season, I will send this gun to be rebarreled, action trued and stock glass bedded. However, I would like to use this rifle as-is for this season. Any harm in shooting it with the AG stock before bedding, given the extra space in the recoil lug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Dubaya

FNG
I recently had a similar issue and tried to use the recoil lug as is. After a few shots my action screws would come loose (even though I used lock tight) and groups opened up. Personally I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
It needs to fit tight on the sides of the lug or the only thing keeping the action from spinning at the shot are the action screws.

Wrench

WKR
Install the action without the screws in the stock. Hold the action in place and rap the butt on the ground.....can you install the screws? 99.9% of the time it is no issue. The recoil lug indexes from the action face regardless of thickness....so unless someone bubba'ed the face truing it, you'll be touching the stock within the screw hole tolerance.