Recommend a Chest and Upright Freezer Model from Costco?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
New house, new garage, new freezers!

Was gonna order from Costco...an upright and a chest. I usually take 2-3 days of meat out of the freezer and keep in the house fridge, I'm good at organizing...super low humidity area...recommend size and models from costco or anywhere else?

Grumman

WKR
I just upgraded uprights. Went from an older 17 cubic foot Woods to the biggest GE model, 21 something I think. I like the locking door and temp display on the new one. I don’t like the glass racks like I thought I would. I wish I would have went with the wire rack model. The glass ones bow and when they do the under drawers won’t open. The door bins are also small. It’s physically bigger but doesn’t hold much more at all compared to the old wire wack and big door bin Woods model. It is super quiet thought and I like it overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New house, new garage, new freezers!

Was gonna order from Costco...an upright and a chest. I usually take 2-3 days of meat out of the freezer and keep in the house fridge, I'm good at organizing...super low humidity area...recommend size and models from costco or anywhere else?
I'm in the same boat, new house in about a month. I've got the fridge picked out, but still trying to sort out which freezer. I saw good reviews for the GE garage ready series, that's my current plan unless I find something better.

JoeDirt

WKR
I buy old NON frost free freezers for storing meat. I have a combined freezer age of 200 years in my garage. Unfortunately there are no new upright frost free freezers being made.

Depending on family size and how much you hunt, Get the biggest cubic inch chest freezer for your space available. A small chest freezer is a pain in the ass when you max fill it, as in digging down looking for that package. Uprights are nice for ease and convenience but they always frost up faster than a chest freezer. 20 cubic foot chest freezer and standard size upright will cover 2 elk, a few pronghorn, deer and a hog or two.
Buy from Costco and get their extended warranty.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on family size and how much you hunt, Get the biggest cubic inch chest freezer for your space available. A small chest freezer is a pain in the ass when you max fill it, as in digging down looking for that package. Uprights are nice for ease and convenience but they always frost up faster than a chest freezer. 20 cubic foot chest freezer and standard size upright will cover 2 elk, a few pronghorn, deer and a hog or two.
Buy from Costco and get their extended warranty.

Awesome - THANKS!

Update - I went to Home Depot and tried to order the one of the GE Garage Ready units - no go. It's a bit more complicated and I learned something that was useful while buying our fridge so I figured I should share. My big takeaway - get someone on the phone or in person to absolutely verify ship dates before you push the order.

Each major vendor I called (Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy) has warehouses with current stock and stock they're expecting in. In the case of our fridge, these numbers varied widely, Home Depot could get it by the end of June, Lowes could get it sometime in July (if we were lucky), Costco couldn't get it at all, and Best Buy had like 50 of them sitting in their warehouse. The "arriving soon" stuff has been showing up late, but generally still showing up. Most of these places do price matching, so the price difference isn't really relevant - just find the lowest price and find one in stock somewhere.

In the case of the freezer, all of my local places don't have it, but there are a few online places like Appliance Direct that has some available right now. I didn't even dig into the smaller appliance stores, but it sounds like if you call around you can generally find what you want, particularly if you can wait a few weeks.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider

Attachments

• 3A3E5384-0AF4-4F5E-A40E-BA125CA3AAEA.png
    3A3E5384-0AF4-4F5E-A40E-BA125CA3AAEA.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 4844E3FA-BC4B-4AE2-8613-15CA430FB700.png
    4844E3FA-BC4B-4AE2-8613-15CA430FB700.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 15

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We have a 26 cu ft upright that we've had for 16 years, a smaller upright that's got to be 50 years old, a 15 cu ft chest freezer that I bought last August before my moose and sheep hunts, and a 7 cu ft chest freezer from Costco that's about 10 years old. They all work well, but I don't put any game meat in the big upright. I keep all the burger in the chest freezers so it doesn't matter what's on top of bottom, it's all the same. Different species for different freezers.

As for availability, I've been getting sales fliers for the 15 cu ft chest freezers locally and they've been showing in stock. Even last August when it appeared that no one had them (had a couple orders canceled) one of my orders eventually stuck and it was delivered on the date I requested.

We have a 26 cu ft upright that we've had for 16 years, a smaller upright that's got to be 50 years old, a 15 cu ft chest freezer that I bought last August before my moose and sheep hunts, and a 7 cu ft chest freezer from Costco that's about 10 years old. They all work well, but I don't put any game meat in the big upright. I keep all the burger in the chest freezers so it doesn't matter what's on top of bottom, it's all the same. Different species for different freezers.

As for availability, I've been getting sales fliers for the 15 cu ft chest freezers locally and they've been showing in stock. Even last August when it appeared that no one had them (had a couple orders canceled) one of my orders eventually stuck and it was delivered on the date I requested.
That's a great idea, when I was looking at stocking levels at home depot they had quite a few smaller uprights available in stock. I had planned on one big freezer, but I like the idea of separation, also helps if one of them dies.

Rockford2

FNG
After having a chest freezer for a few years, I think I’d lean more towards an upright just for the ease of organization.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
I got a killer deal on a 19.65 cu-ft upright frost-free Whirlpool freezer at Lowe's. Applied for a Lowe's credit card, got $200 off, 0% interest for the purchase and free delivery. 100x easier to organize. IMAG5306.jpg