Recommend a flintlock

Looking for a FL for PA deer in Jan. It really doesn't matter what it looks like but would prefer one that is blued with a synthetic stock.

I do want fiber optic sights and would like the option to install a Williams peep I already from an inline.

Clarence

WKR
Not sure where you are located in pa, but Dixons muzzleloader if you are anywhere close to Kutztown. They upgrade the fiber optics on a Lyman off the shelf. I am not aware of a flintlock worth a %$#@ available with a synthetic stock. If it has one, the ones I know of are not good rifles. RMC Ox yoke is another great shop. Lyman makes good off the shelf rifles to get you started. You will love it or hate it. Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fishslap

WKR
You could get a Lyman gpr flintlock to start or you’re looking at over a grand for anything better. You will need to spend some time getting the correct flint and angle. You can install their receiver peep site and replace the front site with a fiber optic, or paint it. Using your existing peep might require drilling and tapping if it isn’t compatible with the dovetail slot. Traditions also makes a cheaper gun you could look at. There’s no need for a synthetic stock unless you’re looking for the juxtaposition of a flintlock in Tupperware. Environmental conditions are going to affect your prime or main charge long before it affects your stock and any performance associated with it.

Stalker69

WKR
Flint lock, composite stock, fiber optic sight, peep don’t belong in the same “ search” . Curly maple, AAA walnut , fixed sights belong on a flintlock. Composite, peep go with an in-line. You will ruin the value of a flintlock doing that.

Clarence

WKR
If your in pa get on pennswoods.net classifieds and grab one used.
I tried buying a used flintlock for almost a year when I got into it. It is tough to find one that was cared for properly. Looked at a few really nice looking rifles...until you look down the barrel. Decided to buy new rather than roll the dice. They can be picked up cheap though.

Michael54

WKR
I tried buying a used flintlock for almost a year when I got into it. It is tough to find one that was cared for properly. Looked at a few really nice looking rifles...until you look down the barrel. Decided to buy new rather than roll the dice. They can be picked up cheap though.

Im fine with my traditions deerstalker. Paid 125 new at mahoning mills

WKR
Wonder if a guy couldn't buy a used 50 caliber and if the barrel was rusted, have Bobby Hoyt bore it to 54 or 58? Fresh bore for only around $140.

Flint lock, composite stock, fiber optic sight, peep don’t belong in the same “ search” . Curly maple, AAA walnut , fixed sights belong on a flintlock. Composite, peep go with an in-line. You will ruin the value of a flintlock doing that.

I don't think he's into the history, and nostalgia, just wants a shooting iron that fits the rules of the PA season.

Check these out:

I run a Lyman Deerstalker with a round ball and patch that works well.

Clarence

WKR
If you have opportunity, check out the lock and fitment on everything between a Lyman and a traditions. I feel Lyman has a better lock. Not sure if they fixed it, but it, but in the past,traditions had problems with their locks breaking, basically making them more expensive to repair than replace. The downside of Lyman is their rifling is for round balls. If you are looking to shoot a different projectile, accuracy will suffer, and it may not stabilize it. Nobody from our gang shoots a traditions. My only exposure to them is walking into a local muzzleloader shop, and hearing the owner mutter under his breath, what am I supposed to due with this, and showing me a broken lock. Traditions newer rifles are at a higher price point than before, so they may have fixed their issues. My .02 sorry for the ramble.