Recommend a handgun for back country protection

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Before my 1911 .45acp was stolen, I was convinced if I made it to grizz country I was going to buy the .460 Rowland conversion for my Kimber. Anyone have any experience with that? Seems like a good compromise. More power than 10mm but not as much weight as a .44? Can still plink with 45acp and carry 255 grain hard cast for when it’s needed

OP
M

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
All good suggestions guys, thanks. keep em coming

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Before my 1911 .45acp was stolen, I was convinced if I made it to grizz country I was going to buy the .460 Rowland conversion for my Kimber. Anyone have any experience with that? Seems like a good compromise. More power than 10mm but not as much weight as a .44? Can still plink with 45acp and carry 255 grain hard cast for when it’s needed
If you reload, you can can get the same power levels out of 45 Super, and then it's just a souped up 45...

But my choice for all-around is a G20. 15 round Mags if you can get them in CA.

Thetinker

FNG
I’m new here but I’ve either owned or shot most options mentioned. Can’t really go wrong with any of them but I recently traded for a S&W 69 because it was the right trade to make $ wise. It quickly became my go to hand gun and I have several including a sig x5 legion and a kimber 1911 in 9mm. It is very lightweight but still accurate and 1 hit with the 44 mag will most likely do more to stop someone/thing than 3 shots from a 9mm. The only down side is it’s a 5-shot but even so it is always in my EDC briefcase/backpack and I’ll never go hunting without it. 70B7C2F7-AFA0-45B2-AE4D-5AEA38EF9F59.jpeg

Well I'll throw something else in the mix of awesome suggestions you have gotten,Ruger lcrx in 327 federal, so you have the option of shooting single action,or if your low on funds maybe the new Mossberg 9mm or sccy cxp2, both inexpensive in case you drop it in the creek and can't find it on one of your hikes.

robtattoo

WKR
I've run the gamut on this topic. Started with an XDS .45 that I up-sprung to handle .45 super. A cheap 1911 with the same treatment. A Glock 29. A Glock 20......I finally settled on the heaviest damn pistol ever made by man, but one that I can actually shoot well, quickly, accurately & trust implicitly. Ruger Super Blackhawk 4.75" stainless in .44mag. I load specials if I'm around home, silly hot 310gn hard cast when I hunt wyoming. I carry it in a cheap kydex chest rig (Alaris tactical) or a leather 'cowboy' holster.
It's literally as reliable as a hammer, but it's a heavy S.O.B.

Rob5589

WKR
If looking for simple back country protection, skip the .44/10mm/454, etc. You're in CA so you are limited to rostered guns, or over priced non rostered guns. On roster, the Glock 19 is really a go to gun. For an easy to carry revolver, the Ruger LCR is a great light weight carry gun. I carry one and it just about disappears in my pocket. The Kahr CW9 is another great carry gun. I also carry one myself.
If you run across a grow, get the F out. They are no place to get into a shoot out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you owned a Glock 19, you would know it’s the answer. If you don’t own a Glock 19, you should.

May one point I had about 10 Glock 19s, I’d buy them when I saw they were on sale and take them on trades, I only have 2 left now but I use them all the time.

Whatever you choose.....good luck finding one.

edit: I should say; for a decent price.

Reactions: dla

dla

WKR
Whatever you choose.....good luck finding one.

edit: I should say; for a decent price.
The best post on this thread.
There are no good deals now. A year ago S&W was selling M&P40's for $299, today the price is even with Glock at $519.
Between covid and Biden, people are buying everything.

Beendare

WKR
The best post on this thread.
There are no good deals now. A year ago S&W was selling M&P40's for $299, today the price is even with Glock at $519.
Between covid and Biden, people are buying everything.
Agreed. $300 pistols going for $600 here...a joke.

FWIW, its worth range testing whatever you are considering before you buy.

For example, a lot of guys recommending the compacts; G26 type frames. Sure they are small and compact. Maybe its just me. I do not shoot a sub compact semi auto with the short grip well. I have fairly big hands...and it just feels funny with 1/2 my hand hanging out there.

A G19 is borderline for me....though I like it. I do like the M&P Shield with the extended mags....mine shoots like a dream though I did put the Apex trigger kit in it with that really nice Aluminum trigger.

____

brsnow

WKR
I have a M&P shield 9mm. Thus far has been accurate and easy to carry. It conceals well or when hunting connects to my fhf harness.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
The Glock 43x would be at the top of my list for your application.