Recommend a Hinge release?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Nock 2 It and love it, but recently did some training with the hinge and it helped my accuracy a lot.

I was shooting a tru ball sweet spot pro. I don’t like the flex, or the 4 finger design. Much prefer a 2 finger, but understand the safety is a great benefit for hunting scenarios.

Recommend a release for me to buy? Cost doesn’t matter, just want the best.

Thanks!

mtnkid85

WKR
I hunt with a Nock2it and mostly practice with the silverback but I also have the 2smooth. It works just fine, it certainly leads to a smooth release. It is fully adjustable, can have a click or not, two finger.

I just haven't committed much time to it. It anchors differently than the other two releases, just because of the mechanics of drawing with it. I swapped the larger knob from the Nock2it onto it which helped me get a better "grip" with my thumb.

I shoot a Nock 2 It and love it, but recently did some training with the hinge and it helped my accuracy a lot.

I was shooting a tru ball sweet spot pro. I don’t like the flex, or the 4 finger design. Much prefer a 2 finger, but understand the safety is a great benefit for hunting scenarios.

Recommend a release for me to buy? Cost doesn’t matter, just want the best.

Thanks!
For a couple years I only used the Nock2it and silverback. Great releases. I also had a 2smooth for a bit but not as long as the other two, but it was a gateway to hinges.

I thought that I had to shoot a two finger hinge as well and ordered the Ultraview Hinge with 2 finger attachment. After playing around I much prefer the standard three finger that comes with it. I have shot several different hinges, tru ball hbc, Stan blackjack, Stan safeshot(I think, can't quite remember), Scott Longhorn and the Ultraview is my favorite. It just fits my hands well, even with gloves on for hunting. The Truball HBC is a close second, very smooth and well made.

If you have a good shop by you I recommend trying several to see what fits your hands, and maybe try a three finger as well. If you don't have a shop just go to a range and ask if you can borrow someone's release.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
For a couple years I only used the Nock2it and silverback. Great releases. I also had a 2smooth for a bit but not as long as the other two, but it was a gateway to hinges.

I thought that I had to shoot a two finger hinge as well and ordered the Ultraview Hinge with 2 finger attachment. After playing around I much prefer the standard three finger that comes with it. I have shot several different hinges, tru ball hbc, Stan blackjack, Stan safeshot(I think, can't quite remember), Scott Longhorn and the Ultraview is my favorite. It just fits my hands well, even with gloves on for hunting. The Truball HBC is a close second, very smooth and well made.

If you have a good shop by you I recommend trying several to see what fits your hands, and maybe try a three finger as well. If you don't have a shop just go to a range and ask if you can borrow someone's release.

Thanks so much. Does the ultra view have a safety?

Thanks so much. Does the ultra view have a safety?
Negative, it does not. The shape and position of the head however lend to a very stable draw. I have never even come close to over rotating while drawing. Just remember, pull with your index finger, anchor, then start you hinge firing process.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a sweet spot for a while, then shot a honey badger bear claw which I liked much better. I found the sweet spot to be awkward and other releases easier to control. The safety will limit your choices, but if you're hunting with it, I understand why you would like one. I knew a couple of guys who shot the Scott Longhorn and there are hinge with a wrist strap models designed for hunting so that you can't fire accidentally. That said, it's January, so you should have time to learn a release without a safety should you go that route.

Releases are very personal and you should try to find a way to shoot as many as you can. Ultimately I am back to shooting a wrist strap, but that is after ten years of shooting resistance activated, thumb triggers and hinges. I needed to switch to re-train myself after a bout with target panic and eventually came back to what I was most comfortable with.

Good luck with your search for a new release, I know from experience it is Often a longer process than we would like.

nphunter

WKR
Too Smooth if you like two fingers and plan on hunting with the nock to it. I shoot a carter two moons and like it a lot, I shoot the first choice and evolution as well. The carter only is a great hinge as well.

big44a4

WKR
I like the fit of the ultraview best. As others said you have to go to a shop and try as many as you can. If you have it set correctly to your anchor it will be plenty safe. Also in fitting the same applies. You need to get it set cold/hot enough so you aren’t scared drawing it back. You come to anchor and then should be close if not a little work to get to click then go from there. If it’s not set right you will hate it and it won’t be good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a longhorn hunter and thats what i started with, great release, simple and comes with a strap so you don't lose it when you hunt.

Then i picked up a trufire sear that was on clearance, never really though weight would affect much but, I am loving the heavier weight of it, my thought was that i could eventuallt pick up a synapse (thumb button) and it would match perfectly.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Siggy111

FNG
Another vote for the Ultraview. As said, you really need to try them. I have many. The next step is mastering a firing mechanism. Good luck.

406unltd

WKR
B3 infinity is good. The goat is also good even though it’s not usually thought of as a decent hinge. With that release you get it all in one

I've tried quite a few hinges trying to match up the fit, angle and hook/jaw position to my Wise Choice. I didn't like how the 2 Smooth compared to the Nock 2 it and had a tough time with the 2 finger hinge. Tried other carters, scotts, tru balls, tru fire, and found that the best match for me is the Tru Ball HBC Large compared to the Wise Choice or Nock 2 It. I did not have a chance to find a Carter Total Control which is basically a 2 Smooth with longer flat handle, although after seeing how the two hook positions line up I think the HBC is a better match. The HBC is just a little longer from the finger groove to the hook, which I can easily accommodate by sliding the anchor back on my jaw just a little. I also like the Tru Fire Sear if you are looking for a cheaper hinge to try that performs really well.

4ester

WKR
Been running the Truball HBC with thumb extension and large barrel. I’d recommend one with micro adjust, some of the newer ones even have adjustable click to fire gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hear a lot of guys mention the HBC and the Ultraview. I haven't shot either, but I would like to try the Ultraview. I'll throw the Scott Ascent in the mix as well. I picked up one of those a few months ago and really like it. I like having micro-adjustability for both the click and how hot the release is.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered an ascent...can't find a medium UltraView in stock anywhere...

wapitibob

WKR
I'm shooting an ascent, they are the best of any hinge I've shot yet. Most/all of the ones I have shot require me to rotate the body (honey 2, sweet spot, hbc, abyss, backspin, total control, two moons), whereas the ascent goes off by itself.
The only problem I have with the ascent is the lockdown screw on the side, when tightened, rotates the moon away from the adjustment screw. You'll get it figured out with a cpl tries and I think you'll like the release.

Are you guys hunting with a hinge? I've always been a index release shooter. I decided that I was going to combat my TP head on. Therefore, I've been shooting a hinge since my whitetail season ended and have really become better, still have LOTS of work to get to where I want to be. I'm not sure on my thoughts of hunting with a hinge. I know lots of guys do so. Just curious if it's more common than I think.

I also have been messing with the NockOn Backstrap. I'm still not sure I like it better than a hinge or handheld release.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Are you guys hunting with a hinge? I've always been a index release shooter. I decided that I was going to combat my TP head on. Therefore, I've been shooting a hinge since my whitetail season ended and have really become better, still have LOTS of work to get to where I want to be. I'm not sure on my thoughts of hunting with a hinge. I know lots of guys do so. Just curious if it's more common than I think.

I also have been messing with the NockOn Backstrap. I'm still not sure I like it better than a hinge or handheld release.
Very common among high level archers.

406unltd

WKR
The last two seasons my hinge is all I’ve shot including hunting season. I don’t see myself changing at this point.