Recommend Durable/Quality Merino Wool Shirts.

CGC

FNG
I am looking for some non camo ss wool shirts and some ls camo shirts. I have had some experience with several companies, but I haven't bought any new wool shirts in about 6 or more years.

The problem I have with wool is that it is delicate. Even after wearing these shirts for a brief time they get riddled with tiny holes throughout the garment.

Icebreaker was the best shirt I have had out of the several companies I have tried but I don't know if the quality is the same.

Just wondering, what you recommend and what has been your experience with the quality and durability of the wool shirts being put out latley.

Last edited:
I just got my daughter some from these guys for an up coming trip. She hasnt worn them yet and i honestly haven’t really looked them over so no actual real time experience , they came fast and price was right so hope they workout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Icebreaker and minus 33 have been the best I've found so far in terms of softness and durability.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve had good luck with icebreaker over the last couple years. Sierra trading post usually has them on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
Black diamond rhythm tee is a good option. The blend helps with durability. I have the ss and run it it a while ton with no issues. Haven’t worn it under a pack though.

I had been looking for an 80/20 wool/poly blend, and hesitantly got the 50/50 Black Ovis when I couldn’t find anything.

It is an absolutely fantastic shirt, I highly recommend it. Otherwise I have had great experience with Icebreaker/Smartwool.

Hondo

WKR
As far as short-sleeve merino t-shirts the Aerowool 150 merino/nylon blend from First Lite are the most durable and comfortable that I've tried.

OP
C

CGC

FNG
Those wool/poly blend type of shirts definitely look interesting. I will certainly look into those.

j33

WKR
2 days on my Kuiu long sleeve 125 shirt and there's a tiny hole in it, always under a hoody unless was in camp. My 125 short sleeve has been great, however after using my new First Lite Wick 150 this pack week chasing Elk it is in a better league than Kuiu merino. It gets less stinky, longer so I can tuck into my pants, softer and doesn't seem to stretch out like Kuiu.

We'll see if Kuiu covers my shirt, if not no biggy but I won't be buying anything else wool from Kuiu, but for synthetics they are leaps ahead of First Lite.

K7GSXR750

FNG
All my layers are Minus33 and they've held up extremely well these last 5 years. No holes like what some of you guys have mentioned. For the price you can't beat it if you're looking for 100% merino. Last season was my first with the FL kiln hoodie which is a 80/20 blend I believe and it held up very well especially for using it as an outer garment for several sits. Just remember use a wool specific wash, I really like the Nikwax wool wash. During season this is what I'll wash my wool with not the laundry soap I use for my non wool items. These will break down your wool both structurally and performance wise. Hope this helps..

Trial153

WKR
I have mixed results with merino. The best quality shirts I have are Ibex, they closed up for a short while however they are back in production. Smart wool and icerbreaker are decent as well however I haven’t really liked the fit. The first lite merino I had was great except for the durability issues, they got chewed up very fast. I have some wool power stuff and it’s really high quality however it seems less refined that say icebreaker. However it’s warm and durable.

So my vote would be for Ibex ..

JTR11

FNG
I picked up some of the blackovis lightweight merino shirts on camofire and have been happy with them so far. No durability issues and they’ve been hunted and worn quite a bit and been through the washer and dryer multiple times already.

TN VOL

FNG
+1 for Minus 33. I have multiple ss/ls shirts and bottoms that have all lasted 5+ yrs. All my FL stuff didn't last 1 yr. I also have 1 smartwool shirt that is nice but much prefer Minus33.

TomJoad

WKR
Icebreaker can’t be beat for quality. All wool is more delicate than blends but blends just don’t have the performance of wool day, after day, after day on backcountry hunts. My new icebreaker is as good as the shirts I bought 10 years ago in terms of quality.

Last edited:

jazz3ring

WKR
I have been happy with the quality and durability of the BlackOvis merino shirts. Good pricing when on Camofire.

Another vote for the Black Ovis shirts. I wore one for 5 days straight during Elk season this year. It is a blend so it is durable but still no stink. Can’t beat it for the price.