Recommend Durable/Quality Merino Wool Shirts.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pretty heavy Minus 33 shirt that I’ve been using for 3 years - not abusing it, but wearing it occasionally, washing it with my other wool using Nikwax Wool Wash. Still looks good.
I also really like the Icebreaker shirts and look for sales on Backcountry, Sierra, and Moosejaw. Hurts to pay full price, especially when some of the thinner ones get holes in them after a month.
I also just got a Fjällräven LS just before last winter. Seems really sturdy.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like almost all of my minus 33 garments, but their t shirt was the only thing from them that I wasn’t a fan of. Was very thin.
The best minus 33 item I have is their merino beanie. I wear one of those almost daily from late fall-spring.

I have a bunch of the blackovis tees and like them for the price. They are a bit itchy, but have been very long lasting.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for icebreaker 100% merino. I have a mess of shirts that I wear year round. 0 complaints and they're under shoulder straps daily (I've been walking kids in backpacks / carriers for 7 years now). I finally wore out my first t-shirt, but steadfastly refuse to let my wife get rid of it. The holes give it character. Long sleeve models are solid. Underwear is great, too.
I'd follow that up with votes for FL tops and Smartwool undergarments.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for some non camo ss wool shirts and some ls camo shirts. I have had some experience with several companies, but I haven't bought any new wool shirts in about 6 or more years.

The problem I have with wool is that it is delicate. Even after wearing these shirts for a brief time they get riddled with tiny holes throughout the garment.

Icebreaker was the best shirt I have had out of the several companies I have tried but I don't know if the quality is the same.

Just wondering, what you recommend and what has been your experience with the quality and durability of the wool shirts being put out latley.
I love my Minus33 short sleeve merino shirts. Well made and durable. I'm not unhappy with my Black Ovis long sleeve merino either. Thinking on trying their short sleeve. I think they currently have the black ss on sale for $35-40

mtnhunt

FNG
I had an Icebreaker a long time ago and it seemed to hold up really well. That was probably 6yrs ago so not sure what they are like now. Ive ran FL aerowool for 4yrs now and they have held up really well. I had some of thier heavier weight 100% wool shirts but never wore them enough to comment on them. I think all their new stuff is a blend now anyway. I also have had a Kuiu 125 and 145. Ive had the 145 for quite a few years now and used it as my brush busting scouting shirt once I got a few newer FL pieces. Thing has held up surprisingly well. Havent worn the 125 enough to really give a opinion on durability. Ive only got a hole in it where my belt buckle sits so far but thats it. It stretches out very quickly tho compared to the aerowool. I dont seem to have that problem as much with the 145. The wool blend for Kuiu is 85/15 i think and the aerowool is 65/35, so it should be expected that the aerowool will be more durable and hold shape better. With that said all my wool pieces have holes in them. If youre looking for durability I would look at a higher % sythetic blend and still expect a hole or 2.

Catchfish

WKR
I like the price of the black Ovis merino clothing but I have a hard time with the sizing and I’m not a big guy but I have to XL almost everything. This is a size up from normal.
I really like my icebreaker, smart wool, minus 33 stuff it is much more comfortable and softer than the black ovis
I have some Ridge merino the sweatshirt is my favorite shirt I wear it all the time and I’m finally wearing out the cuffs.
I’m a bargain hunter on merino would like to try the backcountry brand stuff at some point.

WMag338

WKR
I've been super pleased with the First Lite Aerowool. For me personally, many of the other manufactures have a weird fit to the shirt and makes me itch. First Lite fits me very good and zero itching. However, as you may know, merino will tear. I've worked my aerowool to death and it shows its battle scars proudly.

hwy1strat

WKR
I have had great success with icebreaker. you can usually find them for a good price on Sierra Trading Post. Smart Wool has also held up pretty well. First Lite wool layers are very fragile and I won't buy any more of them.

j33

WKR
I like the price of the black Ovis merino clothing but I have a hard time with the sizing and I’m not a big guy but I have to XL almost everything. This is a size up from normal.
I really like my icebreaker, smart wool, minus 33 stuff it is much more comfortable and softer than the black ovis
I have some Ridge merino the sweatshirt is my favorite shirt I wear it all the time and I’m finally wearing out the cuffs.
I’m a bargain hunter on merino would like to try the backcountry brand stuff at some point.

I wear XL Kuiu merino, XXL Kuiu sweaters/jackets, XL First Lite and recently bought XXL Black Ovis 150 hoody baselayer. It fits great about the same length of others (longer than Kuiu a bit) but it’s a bit slimmer. Softness is equivalent to Kuiu, not as soft as First Lite. Hope that helps.

Skythehunter

Lil-Rokslider
SS shirts? Like stainless steel
short sleeve
I am looking for some non camo ss wool shirts and some ls camo shirts. I have had some experience with several companies, but I haven't bought any new wool shirts in about 6 or more years.

The problem I have with wool is that it is delicate. Even after wearing these shirts for a brief time they get riddled with tiny holes throughout the garment.

Icebreaker was the best shirt I have had out of the several companies I have tried but I don't know if the quality is the same.

Just wondering, what you recommend and what has been your experience with the quality and durability of the wool shirts being put out latley.
I have a terramar shirt that I got on sierra, that I didn't take off for 7 days, no smell it was great. reccomend getting blends.

Skythehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Definately love my black ovis, but the First Lite wick is amazing as far a comfort and with the 37.5 tech, it's wicks and breaths well. Not sure about durability but you just have to be careful with wool.