Recommend/sell me a lightweight 3 man shelter/tipi!

Going on a backpack Mule Deer hunt in November in Idaho. Looking for the most cost effective setup that will fit up to 3 guys and their gear. I think I would prefer one with a stove but I'm open to suggestions as I have very little shelter experience, as I've mostly day hunted from a trailer or cabin. Looking to stay pretty lightweight but would sacrifice some weight if it saves me some money. I've looked at the Jimmy Tarps and seek outside 4 man tipi/stove combo. I think the Kifarus are out of my price range. Doesn't have to be a tipi, it just seems that most of the shelters that fit a few guys and gear are? Any help/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

OP
BeaverHunter
Luxe Megahorn is affordable. There are lighter setups out there for more money. 3 guys and a stove would be pretty tight...
Thanks. I hadn't heard of those before. I really like the price of the Megahorn/stove combo. The only thing that concerns me on it the weight. Looks like the Luxe Megahorn is made out of a more heavy duty material than the other tarp/tipi set ups out there?

Thanks. I hadn't heard of those before. I really like the price of the Megahorn/stove combo. The only thing that concerns me on it the weight. Looks like the Luxe Megahorn is made out of a more heavy duty material than the other tarp/tipi set ups out there?

I looked at Luxe before buying my SO 4-man Tipi. The price was really tempting to me too.

Their 30d fabric isn’t ripstop which means if you do get a tear, it will continue to rip until you patch it.

If you’re truly going to use it on a backpack hunt where you NEED a shelter - I wouldn’t trust it. That’s just my opinion though. Good luck!

Edit: I remember watching this review and thinking - if I ripped it like he did on an actual hunt - I’d be screwed!

Fast forward to 4:50 in the video for the tear:

Video Review - Luxe Megahorn

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
I'm in a similar boat, I have a great 1-2 man shelter and now I need a 3-4 man one. I want the Redcliff and look at it as a long term investment, use for hunting trips and hiking trips.

The Oware 11x11 tipi was recommended to me and I know the Golite SL5 (used) is a great option as well. Good luck.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The MLD megamid? I think that's it, might be another option to consider

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Take a look on the new Plateau tipi from Liteoutdoors,looks great,a lot of room,stove jack,low cost and excellent customer service.Only con i see its the color,i still like a more "tactical"/"hunter" color vs Green but tipi looks great.
7ba3ac6df1145add95d9da9b84b7c433.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy how Oware doesnt awnsering to emails

It is. Their CS is making me not want to be a customer. I have a bivy sack they make and the quality is great. But I purchased it used. Never had to deal with them. I think it's one guy moonlighting. Doing it on the side.

So to the OP, look at seek outside and bear paw wilderness designs. Their CS is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BeaverHunter
Take a look on the new Plateau tipi from Liteoutdoors,looks great,a lot of room,stove jack,low cost and excellent customer service.Only con i see its the color,i still like a more "tactical"/"hunter" color vs Green but tipi looks great.

This seems to check all the boxes for me. Lightweight, rip stop material, decent size and great price. Tent/stove combo for $699! Thanks!

ID_Matt

WKR
I hadn't seen that lite outdoors yet. That looks like a great option! I was going to say if you don't get a stove, a SO cimarron is great for 3 guys but that lite outdoors should fit the bill for you. I have a cimarron with a lite outdoors stove. Perfect for 2 people and gear with the stove. Did 3 guys before and a stove but it gets real cozy.

Man, that looks like the perfect silnylon, mid style shelter for 3 people. From what I can see on their website, it looks to be very well-built with all the adequate guyline tie outs, etc. I get a little leery of sod skirts simply because of the reduction in airflow and condensation issues that can be associated with that, but if you’re burning a wood stove condensation shouldn’t be a problem. I wonder if they’re made in North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks like a good shelter, but at that price point my gut instinct is thinking imported. I'm sure someone will know and chime in. Hope I'm wrong on the imported part.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Sod skirts is a must have in cold winter,i live in Qc,Canada and use a stove but when mother nature throw some strong winds and snow i am really happy to have sod skirt on my shelters.

Malheureusement the tipi is made in asian but design is from Canada(liteoutdoors)